Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / 3d Moddellers... which ones best?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2006 10:55
Hi, i have both milkshape and maya... which one is best... or are they totally different things? i dunno!

Bozzy
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2006 14:38
Sorry, I'm confused...you've invested thousands of dollars in Maya, but you don't know how it differs from Milkshape which is $15?

Bozzy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2006 15:14 Edited at: 1st Oct 2006 15:15
ok ok lol

I don't know how 2 use either!
I'm trying
FlameDan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2006 15:20
From what i have heard Maya is better than Milkshape.
But i have never used maya im a 3ds user.
StevetS
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi,

I use Milkshape(around £15) and anim8or (FREE!!) for models, along with UVMapper Pro (around £35) for textures.

My models are generally pretty basic but thats all i need for games. Unless you use it at work / school or are familiar with Maya you might find it a lot harder to get to grips with from scratch.

Check the 3D chat forum for debates on which is best / best value. There's some good info there.

Cheers.

Bob_42
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2006 17:43
i use truespace, it is an awsome program, but a good starting place is anim8or thats how i orgianlly learnt

Synbios
Years of Service
User Offline
This is only my personal opinion but I have taken 2 college courses on 3DS Max so I feel most confortable with it. It is actually pretty easy to use and has a ton of features but it is expensive.
Natflash Games
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm sorry, but that is one dumb ass question, Maya is most commonly used in huge feature films such as X-Men etc. Milkshape is most commonly used by indie developers because its so cheap, but seriously, I know you didn't buy maya for £4000+ and milkshape for about £5 then not know which is better.

Check out my site for the latest on my games.
jinzai
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2006 14:33
As a commercial program that is also supported by its user community Maya is probably the "best". It is most popular among 3D artists developing content for games. Best is highly subjective.

Milkshape is great, but...the plug-ins are alot like DBPro plug-ins...some work, some work in a way that is different than people assume, and some do not work well at all. My last price for Milkshape was $25USD. The user interface in Milkshape is not as good as Maya. There are commercial houses that use Milkshape, as well.

While I will not take you to task on asking the question, I will say that...it also occurs to me that...Maya is terribly expensive, and if you are pirating Maya...shame on you.

DBPro was created by programmers in order to allow indie development. So was Milkshape, and hundreds of other programs. Programming and asset development is onerous, and also...this is what people do for a living. I think it is at once naive and disrespectful for anyone to steal software...especially people that live under someone else's roof, at someone else's expense.

Then, many of those same people come here, and ask questions of every sort. Personally, I have spent thousands of my own dollars, and thousands of hours of my time to arrive where I am today...wherever that is. It does my heart zero good to help someone that has trouble understanding the software that they have stolen. If I can help to reduce a legitimate learning curve, or promote a better understanding of a concept, then...I feel good about my investment. Otherwise, I have wasted both my money and my time. Neither is retrievable in any sense to me.

So, wherever you find yourself in that mix is your business, not mine...but it is somewhat more difficult to hide the theft when you are asking the difference between those two programs.

I like Maya, but I cannot afford it. I use 3D Canvas Pro, because...I like it, too...and I own a legal copy of it. FYI, Alias has published some books on Maya that come with the Personal Learning Edition of Maya. The restrictions make it unuseable to me, however. The watermark interferes with editing. I also like Milkshape, and own a legal copy of it. I still like 3D CanvasPro better...that is only my opinion.
firefly
Years of Service
User Offline
I use Cinema 4D myself. It is very easy to use, with great support and communities, but like Maya it is initially quite expesive which is why I dont understand why you are asking this sort of question. Maybe you just have the PLE version of Maya which means that you will not be able to use it for commercial purposes (the watermark gets in the way). It would be like comparing a Aston Martin to a Citreon CV6
Bozzy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2006 23:19 Edited at: 8th Oct 2006 23:20
@jinzai
No i'm not pirating Maya, we've got it at skool

Thanks everyone

Now I look back, it was one major dumbass question!
Roxas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2006 15:13
Oh it was from school.. (dang we cant get these any expensive software.. -.- .. ) Well anyways my dad haves 3ds max and i use it.. But that was a whoa.. you dont know whats maya It's same devoplers where 3ds max comes and Square enix is using maya.. I have tried the trail but my comp is piece of crap try to run it it runs slow.. But max is all-in-one 3d modeller and i think maya is too.. And milkshape is made for those who dont have money to buy expensive 3d model softwares..

Dazzy1975
Years of Service
User Offline
There is a free version of Maya available if you want to learn it, if you goto the official website (Can't find a link), I downloaded the free versions a while ago.
The only thing is that it puts a watermark on your renders.

www.isotonik.net

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-25 09:30:35
Your offset time is: 2024-09-25 09:30:35