Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Newbie's who are new to this program not to programming

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi to everyone out there i am new to this program but not new to programming or writing programes, i am also however new at programming games i wanted to know if it was any different than writting regular programs????
Obear
Years of Service
User Offline
i would say the diffrence is imagination. With most programing you have a problem and have to write a program for the solution, like payroll prograsm etc.

Game designe measn you think up of a story or plot and create around it.

Welcome to DB

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2003 01:57
Hi,

I program in various languages for an ERP system, including RPG, VB, Java, and a couple of bespoke languages. I'm using DB Classic.

DB is a lot more "Basic". By that, I mean that one command does a lot for you, which makes it easier. On the other hand, variable scope and the way they are handled is harder to manipulate.

If you've got a good programming head, you'll find the language a doddle. What you may struggle with, however, are certain concepts such as SYNCing and 3D space and positioning.

Thanks in advance.
All the Best,
StevieVee
CorruptionsMyth
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2003 07:00
i am completely new to programing and i am progressing with darkbasic quickly......since i only have the demo version right now since mine hasnt gotten to me yet i have printed out 60+ pages of tutorials and how commands work and it is helping

Prime_8
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2003 07:38 Edited at: 17th Apr 2003 07:40
I 'm just getting back into DB via DBP .

I use VB and C and others , I sort of remember the DBC programming.

I too am waitting for my disk and book. Should be here any day

I just like DB because it s fun. You can accomplish soo much with only a wee bit of code.

try OpenGL in C++ or D3D in VB or VC and you will very quickly appreciate DB and DBP

not being able access to code examples in the online hellp, and a book to guide me is killing me . LOL

funny thing is the local Chapters book store has DB regular bundled in with a making games book, and I have to special order DBpro.

I have a fullcoppy of DBC and darkmatter, but it has been a while . I see that DBP is fussy with old DBC code and most of my old apps / games don't work now.

just have to make do with the 20 days of the DBP demo left. LOL

Old coder, returning to DB (DBP)
Danmatsuma
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2003 08:44
Yeah I got my full versions of db/dm last month but was using the demo for about a month or two before that, and it's so quick to get into. But still, writing a game takes a lot of imagination and hard work, and most of all perseverence I was kind of lulled into a false sense of security by how easy it was to get my models into programs, but the trouble comes when you want 50 of the same thing, all limb animated and multitextured Still, compare it to any other language and you just can't beat the sheer creative flow of this
Also if you've previously programmed basic or really any other language it's a cinch to get things up and running.

ZX Spectrum 48k Issue 3, Radio shack Tape drive, Rank arena 12" T.V. set.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 06:56:33
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 06:56:33