Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / heh... me again

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
well i did tried alot of engines ... and i must say i dunno why
but i feel im most comfortable with DBPRO

anyway... the best way to learn is to try...so im askin for ya help
ive already discovered how to load a .BSP
now i have a model and want to ask whats the command to load it
also a couple of questions
1:In a fighting game...how are the collisions handled.(not asking for a code...just an explanation)
2: Is it possible to create a Create-A-Fighter(or sumthing) ... and how(still not asking for a code...just an explanation... my head cant figure it)
3: Well i cant buy Dark Physics(ive already bought DBP so dont have that money)is there a way i can use the Dark Physics trial version in my registered DBPRO ver (i dont care about the restrictions i only need ragdolls and tearable cloths)..... and if i cant is it possible to import another physics engine like ODE or Newton in DBP
my DBP is 1.062
thnk ya

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2006 21:34
1) It all depends on what you want to do . You could do limb collision, where if the sword or whatever collides with the enemy, then subtract from his life. You could also just do if your in a certain range of the enemy and your facing him, it takes away from his life. There's lots of ways to do it, you just have to find the right one for your game.

2) Yes it's possible. It's really to complicated and there are too many ways to do it when you ask "how" . I try to explain this in my guide here:
So I'll just copy and paste that part:
Quote: "To help illustrate, I'll make a comparison...programming is like being given a bunch of Lego's, your given all the pieces, and you just have to put them together in a way that achieves what you want. There are so many different ways to reach that goal, so many ways to “stack the Lego's”, as there are many ways to reach a goal in programming, it's up to you how to decide. Some ways are better than others, for example, it's better to build a large Lego tower out of two by four blocks than by one by one blocks, it just makes more sense, and it is more effective and well-built, just like in programming there are ways that are better than others. The larger the goal, the more ways to do it. There's more ways to make a castle than a tower. There's more ways to make a system where you shoot people than one that prints a word.
Another idea that we can get from this Lego comparison is that it doesn't make sense to ask, “Can I build a city with this?”. Well...duh, why couldn't you? Of course it all depends on your ability to do so. Can YOU build a city with it? This is like asking with programming, or really game-making in general, “Can I make a game where you can drive a car in first person?” or “Can I make a customized menu with this?”, and similar questions. Well...duh, why couldn't you? It all depends on your ability to do so. Can YOU achieve what you want with it."

And those "can I" questions can also be translated into "how do I" questions, as in "how do I make a city", or in your case, "how do I make a create-a-fighter". It all depends on how you want to do it and your ability to do it by "stacking the Lego's" .

Pirates of Port Royale
Live the life of a pirate.
spooky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Oct 2006 01:06
3) ODE is already a part of 6.2 - do a search for some help on it. Newton is also available as a free plugin - once again a search found it in program announcements.

Boo!
jinzai
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Oct 2006 04:01 Edited at: 3rd Oct 2006 04:03
Slash88...bsps have a collision detection and response system built-in already. It uses a bounding sphere. There is a function to create a collision mesh for an object, as well as process bsp collision. For normal collisions, the code does it all automatically after you set up the collision mesh.

The command to load a model is simply load object...with a type that DBPro supports, like .x or .md2

Plug-ins are dlls. In the Compiler directory, there are three subdirectories for plug-ins. DarkPhysics would go in one of those directories...as would any other plug-in.

Here are a couple of snippets to look at regarding MD2 models, and bsp collision. Functions that start out "jz" are mine. :

Most models are oriented incorrectly when they load. MD2 models are 90 offset. I am using this one 3rd person, so I want the camera behind the model...I rotate 90+180, or 270.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-25 09:29:13
Your offset time is: 2024-09-25 09:29:13