Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Models and Media / MagicFPS - Glass Doors...Can it be done?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2006 08:09
Yep I am trying to work on a see through glass door... mainly a shop door...

I am running into are all kinds of problems, for starters when I am working on my graphic I do an alpha chanel to get my transperancy but when I save it to bmp, jpg format I loose my alpha channel...

So instead of loosing it I saved it in png format well now when I try using it with my door segment I get a white door.... not flat white as if it was pointing to no graphic at all but just white where the glass is...

So all 3 formats are not working for me and I was wondering if anybody had a clue as to why this is happening...

As far as what I am using to create the door I am using MagicFPS and yes I dropped Sinistar an email but I figured I would post in the forum just incase someone else had an answer

Have you downloaded your CLiPs today.
Errant AI
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2006 09:20 Edited at: 7th Oct 2006 09:20
It can be done as .dds or .png(I think).

Here's a metal framed one in .dds that I modified from a stock door that works well and I think looks pretty good. It works on one of the modern doors (door B).

Mods, please kill the DL if you don't think it's modified enough (most of the modification is in the addition of the alpha channel).

I couldn't figure out how to make it break into glass shards when destroyed or get my custom door with destroyed state to work right, so I abandoned working on it.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Errant AI
Years of Service
User Offline
Here's a screenshot.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
CLiPs
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2006 09:39
thank you... I just went and recolored my glass area of the door with true black #000000 I can now see through it but it doesnt have that opaque look to it...
Hmm I already tried the png and forgot about trying dds ill try that format next... Thanks for responding and the example I can open this in my photoshop and see where I am going wrong with my glass door...
Hmmm breaking glass have you tried lowering the strength of the door im not sure if that will make it break like glass but it will destroy the door...

Have you downloaded your CLiPs today.
Errant AI
Years of Service
User Offline
NP CLiPs

Yeah, I can destroy it but it just goes poof.

Your problem is just in file format. Like you discovered, you can only get a 1bit alpha with 000 black, so you need to use a file format with gradations of alpha.
stormboy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2006 11:45 Edited at: 7th Oct 2006 11:46
Yeh hey I been experimenting yesterday with this exact stuff.
I have found a couple of ways that work using Gimp for final
assembly of image.

The way with most promise goes like this.

First thing, in Gimp make an image pure black, then go filters/colours and assign black to alpha transparency.

Next, go to file and "open as layer" the picture you want to make the window/door with. So, you now have alphamap as layer below your
picture all in the same project.

Next (for partial see-thru) go to rectangular select icon
and click drag an area so it's highlighted.

select the paint bucket, and then go click on the gradient
icon(nearby), now paint (with a percentage opacity setting,
within the selected zone) ie the zone you want partial transparency in. When using partial opacity you have a chance to gradually expose the alpha below, so it's good way to do it.

Now, you have really used your main door picture as the meat in
the alpha sandwich. You should have a final picture
which has your doorframe ok and as it was /non transparent,
but also a zone which is partially transparent.

It's ready to save and test. (save as .dds and .tga).

Note. Using layers in gimp, there are a couple of options
which have ramifications of how the alpha works.

First you have an option to "merge layers"
Note, if you do this, especially with a pure alpha layer as background, then, your whole picture with be alpha to one degree or more.

Second tempting option, is to flatten image, this seems ok to do
but does result in a certain lightening of the picture,
although your alphachannel stuff remains intact.

I spent hours on this, it's really easy to get lost
and lose the plot. Don't give up.
My focus is to think of the non transparent bits of a picture as
the meat between an alpha base, and an exposed via painting alpha top layer.

Hope this is some help to you.
tyrano man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2006 21:11
just one problem with glass doors... if you place an entity behind you can't see it, cos its not rendered till the door is open.

gw:tyrano man-lvl 20 E/Mo
tyrano man kill-Lvl 8 W/Mo
rs:tyrano man 2-lvl 68
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2006 22:48 Edited at: 15th Dec 2006 22:55
Clips,try creating your transparency 50,50,50 black,set trans to 2 in ai.Use targa or dds 32bit for semi-trans.
This first is trans in solid door,I dont know why tyrano man has problems seeing entities through glass,these entities are both dynamic and static.

This one is cubent.fx,the door frame has also become a little transparent so it may be best to create glass seperate,o.k.if door is not animated.But it does give that frosted look.Make your black nearer 20,20,20 to get less frost with this method.

If you want breaking glass suggest you look at stock windows fpe,or even scale these to suit.
tyrano man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2006 17:14 Edited at: 16th Dec 2006 17:16
look here.

just scroll down to butterfingers post and read onwards.

i think you are using a different method. But to make good textured glass doors it seems to not work.

EDIT: i get it now! what you were using is an entity... if u want it as a segement you can put in a wall it doesnt work.

gw:tyrano man-lvl 20 E/Mo
tyrano man kill-Lvl 8 W/Mo
rs:tyrano man 2-lvl 68
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
I think it may be the csg that is causing the problem in your case Tyrano. You could create a wall section wth the doorway booleaned out as a wall section and use this to solve it.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-01 00:33:26
Your offset time is: 2024-10-01 00:33:26