Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / AGE - the independent game maker returns

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2006 21:13 Edited at: 5th Feb 2007 18:19
AGE beta 5 has been released!

This version of AGE focuses on the new network editing feature which allows up to 128 age clients to join an age server and work on the same scene at the same time. Multiplayer game making if you will. This time the download includes some media as otherwise people would have it all in different places. I have yet to add an object replacement system so you can see why that would suck.

If you edited any script or entity files that originally came with AGE, then rename them, as they will be replaced with this download.

AGE page:
http://devaug.com/?q=node/4

Changes:
http://devaug.com/?q=node/10

Enjoy!

Original post:

After something like 10 months of being gone - off of the internet - except for the occasional visit via someone else’s computer, I return to full internet access from home.

Even though I’ve been offline, unable to send AGE out for beta testing, I’ve worked on it whenever I could. Shortly after leaving you all I secured my first job, which has taken a lot of time already, so development hasn’t been quite as fast as It normally would be, but I’ve certainly progressed.

Before I left, I had just started work on entities. These are now in AGE and work quite comfortably. I’ve also added multiplayer commands including an external server (thanks to Benjamin Wharton and his excellent multisync), a bill boarding system that can be controlled within both the editor and the engine, the ability to save your gui and load other gui’s, allowing you to work in an environment that suits you, better collision commands thanks to Sparky’s very fast collision plugin, an array system allowing for new data storage during runtime a few small additions and changes to the editor and load of new commands to play with.

My current to-do list:

Eerily big considering how long I’ve been working on it but some things take a long time to make. I’m currently working on lights as I’ve decided to hold back from the wizards for now. I don’t see them as being incredibly crucial at this stage and think that lights will be much more important for a game maker. People can live without wizards.

I’d really love to go on about everything that I’ve added in great detail, but I want to make some progress on lights tonight.

Finally, I really feel I have to apologise for leaving everyone in the dark for so long. I had an incredible amount of support before leaving from a great number of you. I couldn’t have got this far if it wasn’t for that support and I can’t help but think that my disappearance was seen as annoying by a lot of people, especially how I kept going on about how great this application was, building up everyone’s excitement.

Beta 0.2 will be released as soon as I’m finished with lights and I’ll make it available for everyone to download. I’m trying to get some hosting sorted out too so I can stop burdening people with my files. I’m not sure if I’ll be selling AGE, giving it out free with a splash screen that you need to pay to get rid of or making it totally free. My past attempts at selling software online resulted in absolutely no sales, so I’m kind of concerned that that would happen again here, while with freeware, I’m pretty sure a lot of people would download and use AGE, which is something that I’d quite like to see. I’m still running this through my brain now though - in time I will have decided.

An island I made in a few minutes:

Loads of tree billboards on a landscape I made.

Snap-to-grid being used to make non-organic level.

Lighting system showing off a load of random colours.

It’s great to be back people. I missed you all.

PS, to save confusion, this application used to be called AGM, but I changed it back to AGE - really old application - as the name AGM is already taken in the world of game makers.

[center]
You are not alone.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Chris Franklin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2006 21:21
Wow nice Can't wait to see more

I'm back! and glad to you'll see something great happen soon
Cian Rice
Years of Service
User Offline
This rocks! I really liked the last demo you had released and was curious as to what happened.

Quote: "I'm back! and glad to you'll see something great happen soon "

Chris, have you considered learning English?

The crazy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2006 23:54 Edited at: 7th Oct 2006 23:54
Looks nice Kohaku. Keep it up. The plants look real nice.

@Anime blood, what's your problem? That's the second time I've read a pointless post of you putting down someone for a spelling/grammar mistake. Ever think that english may not be some of these people's native languages? Seriously dude, lay off.

Syncaidius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2006 23:59
Looks great so far Kohaku. Looks very professional.

Keep up the excellent work!

Chris Franklin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2006 00:36 Edited at: 8th Oct 2006 00:40
Quote: "
@Anime blood, what's your problem? That's the second time I've read a pointless post of you putting down someone for a spelling/grammar mistake. Ever think that english may not be some of these people's native languages? Seriously dude, lay off.
"

Thanks "The crazy" that's a typo need to fix that now =)

Edit: Fixed

I'm back! Great to be back | Watch out for one of my projects soon that will be finished
The crazy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2006 04:09
No problem Chris.

@Kohaku: The interface looks really nice. Forgive me if you've already said this, but did you use darkbasic to make the windows?

Cian Rice
Years of Service
User Offline
I was merely joking that time, hence the , when Oddmind did he was disparaging someone by calling them stupid, and then making a stupid mistake himself. But anyways, back on topic.

The interface does look really nice. Did you just create a .DLL that allowed you to use the GUI or did you use BlueGUI or something? (restating the Crazy's question)

Zotoaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2006 05:18
This seriously looks good. Don't expect everyday to see something so professional be made in DBPro. I guess that's why they called it DB Professional.

The crazy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2006 07:10
Quote: "I was merely joking that time, hence the , when Oddmind did he was disparaging someone by calling them stupid, and then making a stupid mistake himself. But anyways, back on topic."

If that's the case, then those both of those are indeed valid responses. I noticed neither the '' nor the remark about being stupid. Now I'm the stupid one Sorry about that.

*And sorry being off topic and all*

Kohaku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2006 19:14
Slightly compressed engine screen attached. Only two of those trees are the original tree objects, the rest are billboards. Har har.
I use Blue for the gui.

You are not alone.[/center]

Attachments

Olby
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey nice tool. I have similar editor system which uses *.AGE files as texture packs and *.AGM for compiled maps with lightmaps. Vey similar naming you got there!

"Error at line 0 - Your game sucks. Try again loser..." (Cash Curtis II)
AMD Sempron 3.1+ Ghz, 512MB Ram, ATI R9550 256MB Ram, Sound Blaster Live!, WinXP SP2, DirectX 9.0c, DBP 6.2
Kohaku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2006 00:31
Haha, that's creepy.

So anywho, I've been busy today and haven't actually touched any source yet, but to even things out a bit, here's a list of functions that are already in the AGE engine.

One thing that you could all do now to make AGE better can be to suggest a function. Tell me what kind of command you want added and, providing it's something that I can actually manage, I'll add it!

Hopefully I can build up the list of neat functions with ones that you peeps want.

You are not alone.[/center]
RiiDii
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2006 21:40
Great to see you back and working on AGE again! We missed you as well. And some really great looking screen shots there as well!

I have a suggetion; your terrain looks huge so I am not sure how it is handling FPS, and I am not sure how large it really is. I am not sure if this would work, but maybe there could be a sort of 'layered terrain' capability. This would use a low polygon count, but huge terrain for the "world" to get that "as far as the eye can see" feel. And then smaller, but relatively higher polygon and higher detail terrains can be placed over the the huge terrain for close-up terrain details. Then the script system incorporating the land into the game would handle loading near-by detail-terrains as needed.

Welcome back!

Open MMORPG: It's your game!
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2006 21:43
Looking very nice, a little concerned about the FPS output in the second screenshot though.

Tempest - P2P UDP Multiplayer Plugin (DBP/DBCe)
Download the free version
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2006 03:12
Dude. Welcome back. Hope I'll see you on MSN at some point.

<Hero> lol ones spelling ability has absolutely nothing to do with there level of inteligence or maturity!
<Hero> bah, ur guys r just children, i shouldnt bother trying to educate you
Kohaku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2006 18:31
Quote: "Great to see you back and working on AGE again!"

I never stopped working on AGE, but thanks! Great to see you too!

Quote: "a little concerned about the FPS output in the second screenshot though."

That isn't the FPS! That's how far the player is being pushed from the ground - increases with falling thing.

Quote: " Dude. Welcome back. Hope I'll see you on MSN at some point."

Thanks! You'll see me on MSN every night, probably after 6:30 GMT (Simpsons), that is if you're on MSN every night after 6:30 GMT (Simpsons).

Back to the R with the I with the I - repeat, I have to say that your idea is pretty similar to an idea I had about a blanket like system, where a blanket of, how they probably don't say in latin, niceness high polyness, would be placed over a low poly ground. Possibly something that I'll incorporate into AGE, but I can be sure of one thing. The current terrain system isn't here to stay. Well actually it is, as it's an object, and you'll always be able to import objects, but it will eventually be replaced with a more dedicated terrain system that will let you form land details within AGE. This system will also be optimized so that things in the distance will be nicely low in the polygon department. However, the FPS isn't as low as you'd expect with that gargantuan terrain, so the replacement terrain system can wait, regardless of me being confused/slow.

Now I'll just take a screen to upload...

There we go. Here we can see how I'm using the snap interval along with objects that fit comfortably together to make a less organic level. You can see the different options in the Control Box and the different backgroud colour. I thought a darker colour might suit this level. Also, you may note that I suck at making objects that look remotely good.

So, who else is finding the music in the new Barbie adverts eerily catchy?

You are not alone.

Attachments

blanky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2006 22:57
Wb Aura (despite already msn-ing it to you), and i'm <3'in the foilage.

The scripting should make for some wonderfully evil apps, I imagine. ^^ I remember making that fps-ish script thing (strafing, not floating (yay)) before despite the (then) small number of commands, so THIS many will probably mean an infinitely increased amount of awesome.

Exeplzkthxbaii?

-=-=- Activate asshat mode. -=-=-
Warning: This post may contain bloatage.
Kohaku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2006 07:46
Cheers buddy. Do you mean this code?

It's all improved greatly since then, and the above listed functions have changed a bit too. We now have lights people! Lights that are only displayed when closer to the player than other lights. Lights that are colourful and bright under ceratin conditions. I'll play with it more tomorrow as I'm tired as anything now. I also want to look into making a day/night cycle that can be altered and set and what not. Would make a nice feature in adventure games.

Good night.

You are not alone.
Duffer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2006 10:25
@ Kohaku,

This all looks fantastic. However, for the hard of thinking among us (me) could you sort of do a bullet-point list of what this AGE application will do when finished, what's done, what's still to be done, how your average DBPro programmer would be able to integrate stuff created in AGE into their own program....? something more to whet our collective appetites?

a long time dabbler with DBC and DBPro with no actual talent but lots of enthusiasm...
Kohaku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2006 03:59 Edited at: 28th Oct 2006 06:16
Well not something I'd usually do but what the heck, I'll do my best!

What's in:
Scripting sytem.
Entity scripting system.
Billboarding.
Distance based loading system.
Infinite lighting system.
Sliding collision. Comliments to Sparky's plugin.
An external terrain builder (very primitive due to later plans, see last section).
Multiplayer capabilities - External server provided. Compliments to Benjamin Wharton's plugin.
It's going to be free.

What's going to be in any day now:
Custom GUI for games.
Server scripting(bots, time cycles, events etc).
Some script and entity tools that let you make players, monsters, lights or the games frame itself without touching a line of code.

Things I'd like to add in the future but still need to think about how I'm going to handle them:
Multiuser editor system where you can all make a level together (should be fun).
Physics!
Lightmaps.
Better terrain system that can be edited from within the AGE editor.
Foliage, object and player creation tools.
Keyword encryption to protect projects.

I'm also in the process of getting a site up which will host AGE and some of my other projects. On the AGE side though, I intend to have media packs, entity packs and script templates. Hopefully there will be a small community to help me with that.

Anywho, if you can think of something that I've left out from that list or something that I should do then please say so.

Attached is a screenie of the new light system showing some weird colours that you'll probably never see again.

You are not alone.

Attachments

Eoin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Oct 2006 14:47
Is it possible to snap to grid on the 'outside' levels, or do they have to be done apart ?

GeeHost.com for all your hosting needs
Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Oct 2006 16:06
just tested the second beta, it looks sweet! placign objects is smooth as, saving is a little iffy as it seems to just sit there then ask me to do stuff, maybe a pop up window is adviseable. also fix the bug that wont let me runa level!

Syndicate remastered: Corporate persuasion through urban violence.
Kohaku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Oct 2006 16:55
Quote: "Is it possible to snap to grid on the 'outside' levels, or do they have to be done apart ?"

You can snap to grid at any time you like - even on a terrain. It's quite handy for placing grass and trees to avoid placing them too near each other.

Wigget, a progress bar will be added for saving after I revise the entity saving code, which will also make saving faster as it's what's slowing the process down right now. I'm still looking into that image error - it's an odd one!

Only about five people are actually aware of this AGE release as I have yet to make a post about it on this forum - so here goes.

I've spent the last week messing with Drupal - a CMS thingie - so that the site would be perfect for downloading and discussing my projects. Yes, there will be more!

You can join in the fun at http://devaug.com/.

I'll see you there.

You are not alone.
Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2006 01:25
hey aura, something i didn't get to say before i headed off, i had an idea for a game using AGE. it would be a mmo right, but it would be like a survival game on a huge map, where the players would be surviving humans, and the npc's would be a zombie horde. Basically it's not a shoot em up puzzle solver, instead its a "collect supplies and bring them to your camp to earn cash for ammo and weapons etc" gme style. So say i set up a map of a city with country side around it, and players would enter hte map, and be able to set up a camp in an area they deem safe, then players would have to venture out into the city/countryside to gather supplies left behind from before the incident, and take it back to the camp to refill their supplies. the supplies would last for a time before more is needed, the more supplies you have the bigger the camp you can create.

I'd set it in a fancy TGC universe, so its a mix of modern/future stuff with crazy characters etc. one thing i wanted to ask though is with age would it be able to support vehicles etc? as in objects that can move, is it just a matter of scripting? will post more if i have time after work :

Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2006 08:19 Edited at: 6th Nov 2006 16:02
hehe sorry bout the double post and well thread hi-jacking, but i've worked more pen and paper stuff for my idea. basically players can be one of two sides, terran genome co-alition (TGC- Humans) or Full Prime Systems Conclave (FPSC- droid). Both of which compete for supplies for their camps. There is a third race, a race of cyborg ZOMBIES!, in tgc's history a tgc'er mated with a fpsc'er and started the downfall of both societies! the plague spread and stuff (great story huh!) anyway the third race is computer controlled, so mindlesish hordes of zombie cyborgs tha twill attack the players near them, including forward camps set up across the map. I have way moooore stuff to say but this is the age thread and i wont post my own thread till i get some screens of the models i been making and the world I am building. but im again, excited, thanks to

A.G.E. !!!!!

which makes this all possible

(oh by mmo i mean like 64 players, so two teams of up to 32 players which I am pretty sur eage will handle?)

Kohaku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2006 18:15 Edited at: 6th Nov 2006 18:19
Wow, that's all truly awesome.

Quote: "in tgc's history a tgc'er mated with a fpsc'er and started the downfall of both societies!"

And that's just too funny.

The story plan you have there totally rocks, and those object are hot. It's great to see new objects in AGE. Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy.

To answer your questions, I see no reason at all why AGE can't handle that many players. With the server taking each clients distance into consideration, lag should be at a minimum.

As for vehicles, that would indeed be sweet. Vehicles should be able to be handled via an entity, though it probably won't be an incredibly easy job, plus I have no real physics in AGE right now. What I'd REALLY like to do at some point, is find a good royalty-free physics system. Then add a load of commands to AGE to make using it a piece of pie. Suggestions welcome.
If you need any helpage with the scriptage then feel free to contact me from all corners of the globe.

Since the second release of AGE in my last post, or should I say Wiggets third last post, I've been squishing bugs, adding new things and updating devaug. There's now a gallery for AGE development. I'd like to make a showcase gallery too. Any chance I can nab that screen Wigget? Last night I created a media section. There's only two downloads so far, and they're included in AGE right now, but they won't be in the next version. Will save people downloading the same thing twice. Hopefully I'll get some contributions here too.

Here's a list of things I've done to my version of AGE since the last release:

You can actually find this information - and more - on http://devaug.com/.

Note to Wigget - 'angle brush' checkbox, automatic brush rotation.^^^

I'll be letting the next version of AGE out for everyone to use within the next few days. There's a few more things I want to work on first.

Keep up the good work Wigget, and feel free to post screens galore in this thread. It may just compensate for my lack of eye candy, plus it's hot.

Attached is a pic from the editor showing the new angle brush feature doing its thing in a very weird way.

You are not alone.

Attachments

Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2006 02:28
lol sweet!angle brush is a must for placing stuff on slopes. one problem I am having with makign a city map is most of the terrain you built is not flat so i can't make city streets nicely without paintign the terrain, and so far there is no option of doign that. the dock thign i built is actually a big block, i might do a giant raised section for a city block. infact i will do that now! wait no i will do that after i start making my player model, i worked out how to do a sweet looking fpsc droid ready for animation. will post up shots soon!

also feel free to right click and save as on the image for your site.

WarGoat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2006 03:01
This is sure looking good. I didn't putted much attention before. BTW, did you get your name from the movie spirited away?

Windows XP,pentium IV, 3.0 MGZ, 1024 mb memory, 256 mb ATI Radeon PCIE X700 Pro 'sett squadron back on the assault'
Kohaku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2006 17:57 Edited at: 7th Nov 2006 22:40
You can get the terrain builder here http://www.devaug.com/?q=node/7. It includes the files used to make the terrain you're using, so you could open them up in some painting program and paint a big flat bit, then open the new heightmap in the terrain builder and resave with teh newness.

I did indeed get my new name from Spirited Away, or should I say, Sen to Chihiro no kamikakushi. Haku was the original name of course, which is taken everywhere, so I added a 'Ko' to it.

Righto, I'll just be stealing that image now.

Oh, I forgot to mention, last night I add this .set creator to AGE. Whenever you select a brush that hasn't got a .set file attached to it, this box will pop up with a load of options. A .set file handles how level objects are seen, animated and collided with in the AGE engine. That's now attached.

A new gallery has now been set-up for showcasing AGE projects. http://www.devaug.com/?q=image

Beta 3 is now out - View the top of the first post for further details.

You are not alone.

Attachments

FXTC
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2006 22:55 Edited at: 16th Nov 2006 00:49
New AGE 3 looks very usefull ,thanks Aura

Download free 35seamless textures pack http://textures.eushoping.euGo to download section

AMD 2,4 512MB RAM,2x200GB hdd,GforceFX5700GT128MB,IBM21"
Syncaidius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Nov 2006 00:43
Nice work on AGE, kohaku. Keep it up!

Kohaku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Nov 2006 01:11 Edited at: 16th Nov 2006 01:14
Hey FXTC! Nice to see you're still supporting AGE with free media, and what a pixelated pleasure they are to the eye too. We'll have to talk about AGE media on msn one day.

DBking, cheers! I must admit, I'm quite impressed by WORLD myself. I'll download it when I can. We'll have to discuss our projects at some point on some form of messaging client..!

Oh, I forgot to mention - I'm working on the gui for the AGE engine now. I wanted to make a demo showing off it's online capabilities before it occurred to me that a gui would look quite nice. So far I have it correctly using handles, so it's all displayed appropriately. I'm now tackling it's actualy style, which I'd like to add is customizable via the data folder.

You are not alone.
Kohaku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2006 18:58 Edited at: 28th Nov 2006 19:02
I almost hate to not bump, but I'll do it anyway.

I've been working on the age engine gui for a few days now, and I think it's reached a certain level of neatness.

There's currently:
Windows
Panels
Buttons
Textboxes

The textboxes only support one line as wrapping seems to be a slow process.

Now, I haven't integrate this into the engine yet because you peeps may have some requested features for it and it will be easier for to add and test them as they are, all alone.

So fire the requests this way!

Original development thread:
http://devaug.com/?q=node/39

You are not alone.

Attachments

Sven B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2006 20:08
I hope the GUI won't cause too much slowdown...

It's the programmer's life:
Have a problem, solve the problem, and have a new problem to solve.
Kohaku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2006 03:32 Edited at: 22nd Aug 2007 19:41
It's pretty fluid for me. Maybe you should try it out and tell me what you think, all made possible by ...

AGE Beta 4!

As stated in the first post, this version of AGE is focused on the new customisable GUI. Commands have been documented and there is also an example script for you to try out. You can easily edit the GUI provided or even make your own one using 'black bar' - the included GUI set - as a template.

AGE page:
http://devaug.com/?q=node/4

Changes:

Gallery:
http://devaug.com/?q=node/72

Any feedback, bug reports and screens would be greatly appreciated.
Enjoy!

You are not alone.
Supremacy
Years of Service
User Offline
I read all i could but didnt really took the time to read it all, I think you need a small description of age in the first post.

Im kind off lost, Age is what ? a Game Engine built on top of darkbasic pro ?

What means Age ? Advanced Game Engine ?

Thanks
zzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2006 10:59
Wow, this is looking really nice Kohaku.
How long have you been working with this?

Kohaku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Dec 2006 01:28 Edited at: 25th Dec 2006 01:31
Quote: "Im kind off lost, Age is what ? a Game Engine built on top of darkbasic pro ?"

It's a RAD game making thing with scripting and stuff. I made a page with a better description here.
http://devaug.com/?q=node/41

Quote: "What means Age ? Advanced Game Engine ?"

Possibly. It could be a load of things and I don't want to carve its name in stone just yet.

Quote: "Wow, this is looking really nice Kohaku.
How long have you been working with this?"

Cheers buddy! I think it's a few months over a year now. I made the first AGE post at this date anyway: '19th Aug 2005 19:32'

Oh, forgot to mention, last night I add this plugin system to AGE. You can read about that here - top entry:
Expect an update after I work on some other bits.

You are not alone.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 18:29:57
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 18:29:57