Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Collisions

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2006 04:33
Are collisions in DBPro polygon collisions, or collision box/sphere collisions? How would I change between those types of collisions?

Adam Game Source, my website. Check it out!
H4ck1d
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2006 07:43 Edited at: 15th Oct 2006 07:43
I don't know much about the darkbasic built-in collision, but I can definitely recommend that you not use it. It doesnt work very well and it's very limited. Instead, check out the sparky's collision dll, a free collision plugin that is much better than the built-in commands. Good luck!

-H4ck1d

Profit
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2006 17:15
...To answer your question...
Set Object Collision To Box (objnum)
Set Object Collision To Sphere (objnum)
Set Object Collision To Polygon (objnum)

common people are walking in line.

Mitsu Fly Ride.
Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2006 18:09 Edited at: 15th Oct 2006 18:10
Quote: "...To answer your question...
Set Object Collision To Box (objnum)
Set Object Collision To Sphere (objnum)
Set Object Collision To Polygon (objnum)"

Actually, all of them are plural

Set Object Collision To Boxes (objnum)
Set Object Collision To Spheres (objnum)
Set Object Collision To Polygons (objnum)

Ummm...
GMX
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2006 21:28 Edited at: 15th Oct 2006 21:29
Quote: "I don't know much about the darkbasic built-in collision, but I can definitely recommend that you not use it. It doesnt work very well and it's very limited. Instead, check out the sparky's collision dll, a free collision plugin that is much better than the built-in commands. Good luck!

-H4ck1d"

Hmm well I'm sort of a newbie so I'd rather not have to use a dll. Why don't the built in collisions work well and why are they limited?

ZOMG
Crazy Programmer
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2006 21:49
The built in ones dont work well on objects that you have modled if you were making a game using cubes and spheres it would work well...but if you use an object that you modled it would stop befor you touched it depending on the collision square around the object

Note: not completly sure but i do know the built in ones suck and sparkys collison Dll works very well

Daemon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2006 01:58 Edited at: 16th Oct 2006 01:59
Sparky's Dll is not actually more difficult to use than the regular collision, and it comes with example programs.

jinzai
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2006 14:07 Edited at: 17th Oct 2006 02:51
The built in collision detection/response works fine if you have a proper bsp file. The trouble is that noone seems to want to use it that way. Add to that the fact that the bsp compiler with DBPro is quirky, and difficult to use...and people get frustrated with it pretty quickly. I am sticking with it...the advantages to using bsp with the built-in collision detection/response are worth the efforts I have expended. I use Quark, and my collision works perfectly.

A bsp file contains all of the geometry in a world. Static models should be included in the bsp. Animated models will have to be loaded and included on their own.

I have been modelling buildings and making bsps with that, and collision detection/response are working fine. As long as you have a decent bsp file, it works fine.
GMX
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Oct 2006 02:37
So how do you make a bsp file?

ZOMG
jinzai
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Oct 2006 07:27
Well, I use Quark in Quake III mode. I have been trying to make x files for the BSP/PVS compiler that DBPro has, but...that program is not well documented, not at all robust, and it is somewhat lacking in the UI department, despite being written in MFC. I have been able to create x files that compile, but...Quark is really the best tool I know of for this. It uses a version of the bsp compiler that id wrote. Making maps in Quark is really quite simple, and DBPro can read pk3 files. As a precursor to including all media in the executable, it is an outstanding development system once you get it set up properly.

Quark is a general purpose, free utility for making maps for alot of games...Quake series, Kingpin, RTCW, MOHAA, and alot of others. It is also a very full-featured map editor.

There are other map making programs, too. Blender comes to mind, and instantly goes right back out because it is a royal pain to use, imo.
GMX
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2006 00:27
So you just make one big .bsp file, and load it into Dark Basic?

Is it possible to make your own collisions with the bsp world or are they just "keep from going through" collisions?

Where can I get Quark? Is there a website?

ZOMG
jinzai
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2006 04:50 Edited at: 19th Oct 2006 04:55
Yes, there is a website...http://quark.planetquake.gamespy.com. There is a download section in the left frame. Quark needs a copy of Quake III if you are using it to make QIII bsps. You can get that from here: http://www.idsoftware.com/business/techdownloads

The collision has an automatic response, but...you can find out about collisions, too...its very complete. It seems to me that a big part of DB was written to support Q2/Q3 bsps and collision.

That is correct...the bsp is the result of multiple divides...until you are left with leafs...which are called brushes because they have textures on them. Another advantage is that a potential visibility set is generated to avoid drawing the entire world each frame. I have seen claims that the whole world is drawn, but...that is not the case.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-25 11:20:00
Your offset time is: 2024-09-25 11:20:00