Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Models and Media / Tommy Gun (WIP)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2006 00:03 Edited at: 17th Oct 2006 00:43
Hey guys, I haven't made any new threads lately because I have been so busy with school and learning to model. I was at my grandfathers house the other day, and he showed me some of the guns that he has collected. He showed me a tommy gun, and I just had to attempt modeling it. This is my first gun model, so go easy. I just threw on the texture, because I didn't really have a lot of time to make a pretty decent texture. Hopefully some of the masters of weapon modeling (Butters, Errant, Jon Fletcher, Smitho, Higgins, and others) will give me a few tips and criticisms.

-Brian

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Screwed Over
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2006 00:09
thats quite an awesome gun youve got there, improve the texture and i might be willing to pay

Must refrain from slang type!
Errant AI
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2006 00:34 Edited at: 17th Oct 2006 00:36
Brian,

That's a good start but it's dangerously cardboard-like at this stage. It looks like it would make a great VWEAP with the current mesh but I can't say for certian without seeing the wireframe.

If your intention is to make a great HUD weapon, then you still have a bit of work to do but a solid starting point.

Unless you're using 3DS (or something with similar modeling tools), there little I can advise you on how to do but I can offer you some general comments on what to do.

For starters, you should seperate out the cocking knob and rear sight apeture from the reciever and built those parts seperately, it will help you to maintain a clean mesh on the reciever and make it easier to detail-out the rear sight which is a must for HUD weapons. The charging knob should, of course be seperated for animation purposes.

The A1 version of the tommygun has a rounded knob, so you will want to rebuilt it completely. With the rear sight, once you have it seperated, scale and duplicate what you have there so that you have the outer "ears" that protect the rear sight. You can add in what goes between them later.

Thicken up the reciever a hair or two while you're at it.

If you have access to your grandfathers collection, you have a rare and fantastic source of reference at your disposal!

If you are interested, come post a thread on my forums and I can help you more directly.
Zeppelin 37BDF
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks Screwed Over and Errant AI.

@Errant AI,

I have followed your advice about the rear sight, and I added a cocking knob (I'm currently trying to find out the exact place for it.) Currently I'm working on a newer, better texture to use on the tommy gun. Here is a render of what I have so far without the texture.

Attachments

FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2006 00:58
Nice tommygun.
Pretty good for a first model.

Errant AI
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2006 01:00 Edited at: 17th Oct 2006 01:05
Closer. The ears of the rear sight should be more distinct shapes and less gutter-like. Some google searching should turn up something usable. Let me know if you have trouble locating any and I will be happy to help.

I noticed you have two cocking handles now. You only need one. The A1 (gangster)version has it on top and the A2 (WWII) version has it on the side. You should determine if you want to build an A1 or A2 before you go any further as it will affect a number of minor but noticable details if you are going for accuracy in your model.

Edit: Here's a great cad drawing to help you along:

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs.cmu.edu/user/wbardwel/public/nfalist/tsmg.gif
Jon Fletcher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2006 01:14
looks very nice for starters

my advice would be to 'chamfer' the edges, to keep it from looking too blocky, and give some curve to the grip and handle.

keep it up

Zeppelin 37BDF
Years of Service
User Offline
Errant AI, that is a excellent resource. Thank you very much for that cad. If you noticed, I have the drum magazine, which is found more on the gangster tommy gun in movies and games. Thanks very much for the comments and suggestions everyone.

Errant AI
Years of Service
User Offline
NP, my pleasure to help.

Searching for "M1928A1" should yield additional resources for you that "Tommy Gun" doesn't turn up.

Of course, wiki is also packed with reference leads:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thompson_submachine_gun#M1A1

Looking foreward to seeing what you come up with!
Kerithion
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2006 19:52
That's a great looking model, Zeppelin: very ambitious for a first gun model, and very successful by the looks of it, nice work.

Hope you'll post more screenies of the gun as you develop it.
JohannesM
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Oct 2006 14:35
that model rox my sox. good work!

www.mortarstudios.tk and www.freewebs.com/supahsfpscstuff
Zeppelin 37BDF
Years of Service
User Offline
thanks a lot guys for the comments. I think I might put this aside for a little while because I am making my own game with lots of new custom media.

TJR Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2006 23:31
Does any one have an FPS Creator model for an LCD TV?
Smitho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2006 23:59
Nice work zep - good start!
As Errant said, its quite Cardbordy still, but its a solid beginning Im not sure what software you using, but I would try and smooth your edges a little bit. See attatched (A Tommy gun i made recently for practice, but didnt turn out too good)

Attachments

FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2006 04:26
Quote: "Does any one have an FPS Creator model for an LCD TV?"

First of all this is the wrong place to post this.
Secondly,if you search the models and media forum you will find a few tvs.

Phlum
Years of Service
User Offline
I like this - keep it up!
Oh, and btw, what do you mean by "cardboardy"? I mean, I'm not sure what actually IS wrong with it, it would look shocking (the good way) in an FPSC game!

Best wishes dude

@Smitho
Should it be cardboardy?

Smitho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2006 23:25
Cardboardy is a bad thing, really... Its when the edge of the model is nearly perfectly sqaure - A right angle edge...
Most weapons would have a rounded off edge, rather than square...

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-30 22:41:53
Your offset time is: 2024-09-30 22:41:53