Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / DBPro: Need to load objects exported from Wings 3D

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2006 03:46
Hello All. Ok, Wings 3D is a free modelling program, in case you didn't know. It exports Nendo(.ndo), 3D Studio(.3ds), Alias FBX(.fbx), Cartoon Edges(.eps), Wavefront(.obj), Renderware(.rwx), VRML 2.0(.wrl). I need to load an object from Wings 3D and use it in my game. I tried over and over to load .3ds in DBPro, but the textures always mess up (one texture is displayed over the entire object). I've tried a converter, it barely ever actually did anything... and when it did, it was ok. I need to know the quickest and most highest quality way to get these models in my games. I'd love the help.
Jim

What can games do for you?
www.getixinteractive.com
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2006 07:36
create two cubes offset them so it defines a front with the 2nd smaller cube.

texture both cubes with different textures.

export the cubes and textures to 3ds

convert the 3ds to x or to DBO with another package or converter.

test in DBP

this will show you rotation and texture problems with a smaller problematic model.

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2006 11:41
textured Wings models work fine in DB Pro. BUT you must UV map them in wings before exporting the model, as with any other modeller.

Once you have your correctly textured model, convert them using the attached program to dbo format. This is more efficient for DB Pro to process, and also allows you to reduce your program size by several megabytes.

Getix Interactive
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2006 14:18 Edited at: 17th Oct 2006 14:26
Could you possibly go into detail on how to UV map objects? Is there a tutorial anywhere?

EDIT:
That Download Doesn't work

What can games do for you?
www.getixinteractive.com
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2006 15:02 Edited at: 17th Oct 2006 15:04
UV Mapping is a massive subject in it's own right. There's lot of threads about it in the forums already, use the search box at the bottom and you'll dig up plenty of information.

Attachment added again. [EDIT] Seems to be a problem with the forum at the moment

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-25 11:33:57
Your offset time is: 2024-09-25 11:33:57