Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Importing Models

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I have created a simple stick figure in Blender just to use as a place holder and test my player controls and camera. Everything works fine except for the fact that the model is never rotated in the position I want. Its always laying on its back or side or something and no matter how much I try to rotate it I can never get it right. How do you get models to face the right way? Do you just keep trying out different values to rotate until you find the right one or is this something I need to do in Blender?
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2006 07:33
export with the offset of the model within your package.

eg blender exports the model rotated -90 in the z dimension
when you export offset this dimanesion +90 and it will sit up in DBP.

there are commands that will also Fix the Objects Pivot.
try looking at rotate object and fix object pivot if you want to do it programatically after export from blender.

smhillis
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks Indi

That was a big help, I now have my model situated the right way but
there is really bad "flickering" problem with the model, at times it completley disapears for long periods especically when I move around the screen.
Could this be due to the fact that its comprised of a lot of polygons and its hard for my code to render it fast enough?

(I actually made the model with the help of a tutorial and its pretty rounded and smooth for a "stick figure". Dont know how many polygons it is, I'm kinda new to Blender.)
smhillis
Years of Service
User Offline
Yes that was the problem. There was some sort of smoothness and lighting feature that was applied to the model, I turned it off and now it all works fine.

Thank you
jinzai
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Oct 2006 07:51
I use alot of md2 models. They require orientation on load, and I like using them in 3rd person, so I do this:

Here is how I rotated the DarkMatter Jet2 model to fly it in a tightly banked right turn:

So, you can literally set any model on its head, or any other limb that way, regardless of its orientation in its own space on load.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-25 11:26:17
Your offset time is: 2024-09-25 11:26:17