Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Models and Media / SinniNSouL: StoryBoard ***WARNING implied female nudity/pg17language***

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2006 20:03 Edited at: 19th Oct 2006 20:04
First off I want to say thanks to Keith for OK'in this on his forum located at http://www.ozarkgames.com/smf/index.php?topic=739.0
Also to seppuku for digging up a post where he had nudity as well and Rich posting concerning it. After me getting my x-wife model thread locked for her panties showing I was a lil hesitant on how I should approach showing my work.

Below is story board Sinninsoul-001 from s4 and my game. Once I have more to post in the showcase section I'll probly duplicate this posted image so all my works in the same thread. Making this was an attempt at giving a warning regaurding it's content.

JohannesM
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2006 20:26
i diddnt get it. The speech bubbles are all messed up. Which goes where?

www.mortarstudios.tk and www.freewebs.com/supahsfpscstuff
SUPAH'S FPSC STUFF UPDATED!!!
Locrian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2006 20:35
Well your the first person to say that. Read like you would a comic book. Image left to right then top to bottom. Thanks for the comment though. Lot to say in 7 images but the first 2 images are just actions. Image 3 starting left middle calls the first bit of speech with "Morning Sunshine", then reads each bubble down.

But again thanks for the comments. But your the only one of the many I've showed this behind the scenes that couldn't latch on to the flow. Its noted, but not much I can do with only 768 pixils tall to work with. Guess ya cant please everyone
s4real
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
@ supar gamer : Its pretty simple to follow just follow the bubbles as you would a comic book as loc has said, Maybe if more find it a problem we prob have to number them for the children(lol).

Taken fpsc to its limits
NIK
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2006 21:06 Edited at: 19th Oct 2006 21:06
Very nice work. Had no trouble following the bubbles.

-NIK

(Mod Edit)
Locrian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2006 21:12
Thanks Nik, but if he had a problem it still concerns me. Cause whatever way hes thinking there are bound to be others that think that way as well.

My dilemma is that if I shrink the text to much and place it within each image that it corresponds to, it may be to small to read easily. I don't want to make 2 pages cause then I have to basically make it a movie then I have concerns like "Am I showing the image long enough for people to read?" " Are they going to slow". More then anything I'm trying to get away from avi files. I think I can add much more of a story line using images and not movies for the load and size sake.
JohannesM
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2006 21:36 Edited at: 19th Oct 2006 21:37
Ah, now that i read it again i know where everything goes. Looks like i was in a hurry ( i had to do some stuff ) and i couldnt read everything. Its fine if you ask me. At least now.

btw the girl in the comic reminds me of the one in the game "ONI". (which owns).

butyouman
Years of Service
User Offline
Wow thats good

I like cereal
Godrich13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2006 02:35
Nice placement of those bed posts...

Providing Music and Logos for the community and at rock bottom prices!
FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2006 05:10
Nice chick...
Seriously,though,good work on the comic.
Kind of reminds me of something you would see in Marvel or DC...if the had the guts to print something like that.
Excellent work.

Candle_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2006 05:59
I like the looks of that. nice job.

rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Locrian,first off,great job with your graphics nice touch presenting comic book storyline instead of avi.Theres not a lot wrong with your word bubbles,maybe the centre image is too dark and makes the content a little confusing,I assume its a phone,if using graphic images they have to be obvious to work.All credit to you for accepting supah gamers comments without getting all defensive about it,shows you want constructive criticism and not just people telling you how wonderful your work is,"if you dont know its broke how can you fix it".
Still, your graphics are lush and your work is wonderful.
Errant AI
Years of Service
User Offline
I dig that. Too bad it's just a storyboard. Reminds me of the Max Payne chapter breaks.
Godrich13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2006 07:12
Exactly what I was thinking...I think I'm gonna go play Max Payne now...

Providing Music and Logos for the community and at rock bottom prices!
FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2006 07:19
If you have read very many comic books you should have no trouble following the bubbles.
Unless I miss my guess this game is targeted to a more mature audience.
Most mature people should have no trouble following the bubbles.
If someone is having trouble following the bubbles maybe they need to read a few more comic books.
I like the feel of the game so farfrom what I have seen.
It seems to have a dark,gothic feel to it.

Locrian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2006 07:35 Edited at: 20th Oct 2006 07:57
@butyouman
Thank you, glad you liked it.

@Godrich13
Yeah I thought that a well placed camera myself. Keeps me in the PG range.

@FredP
I grew up on comics. Guess that's why I liked the idea of doing that. I mean its no great artwork but it gets the message accost and is a unique way of doing the story zones.

@Candle_
Thank you.

@Errant AI
Couple comments to you.
This is going to be my story zone sections. I don't own Max Payne but I'm familiar with it's work. These are not only going to be in between chapters, but be my story zones as well. I didn't intentionally steal Max doing it like a comic. My intention was more so I can have more story zones to explain things and get away from the use of bloated avi files. So for a FPSC game not only is it a stylish departure from the people trying to use "The Movies" to make cut scenes but also functional as its lower in file size.

And I didn't get back around till 11pm tonight and I read your email but I was online talking to s4 on AIM for an hour about ideas and ways to cut poly's and all that good stuff. I'll send you an email tomorrow with all your questions answered but I'm beat tonight.

@All
And again thanks for the comments guys. You people that take the time to post and critique anyone's work on the forum helps us better the project were working on. I was even in a tizzy when I thought 1 person couldn't follow the train of thought. I respected his comments and was concerned about how I could better lay it out, even if 99 out of 100 people got it. To be honest I made another version with a little smaller print in an attempt to more restrict the bubbles to each image. Even though everyone was saying "Man I follow it fine...cant please everyone", my concern was for everyone to be satisfied with it to the best of my abilities. I'm sure all artist(in my case trying to be one) feel this way. So posting only helps any project who's post you read and answer too.

Edit:
@Rolfy
Man I cross posted with like 3 people on this. Your right. I guess because I knew what the object was I didn't think of it. Its chupa cabras animated lap top that I reopened in 3dmax so it was open. And yeah on the wanting comments deal. Funny I posted what I did wile your post was being approved(guessing your on the newcomer deal and thats why it showed up inbetween post like it did).
But thanks for pointing that out. You've now cost me another two hours work replaceing and reshooting that center image and making it a comic. lol Its all good...thats why it was posted.

@Fred
Yeah I'm tailoring this for me and my friends, more then 10 year olds. I always loved the darker comics and movies. As I see it(would like it), I wanna make the Tim burtons Batman to everyone elses William Dozier(68 tv version) Batman.
Errant AI
Years of Service
User Offline
No accusations at all there. Can't really steal a concept like that anyways. The graphic novel approach is great for a number of reasons and I think it's smart that you're taking that approach.

Take your time getting back to me. I know you're grinding away like nuts on this and it really shows.
FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2006 07:58
Since the days of the SNES and Genesis and probably before with pcs like the Commodore 64 (I miss mine... ) they have been using comic-type cutscenes.

Zaibatsu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2006 08:19
Quote: "Commodore 64 (I miss mine... "

I still have mine up in my attic.

"If it weren't for monsoor here, this town wouldn't be here, and that kid would never grow up to lie about texas!"
Kerithion
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2006 17:01
Nice idea, that, Locrian. I'm inclined to also agree with Nik and FredP that a game using graphic novel-style cut-scenes intended for a mature audience wouldn't result in any confusion following the speech bubbles. The pattern you have there, of speech extending into frames that dont include the speaker, has a pretty rich pedigree: No doubt you know that 2000AD has always used that stylistic, and if it's good enuf for Nemesis the Warlock and the ABC Warriors, then it's good enuf! =D

Love the idea of a comic cutscene. As you pointed out, not only is it distinct, and adds to the feel and flavour of a game, but cutting down the file size too - very gifted.

If you were still concerned about everyone following the speech bubble order - would it be possible to open your scene with just the page of graphics, then fade in each speech bubble in the order you want them to be read? Not sure of the practicality of this, but just a thought.
JohannesM
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2006 18:41
Quote: "If you have read very many comic books you should have no trouble following the bubbles."

and

Quote: "If someone is having trouble following the bubbles maybe they need to read a few more comic books."

If you are talking to me then you are telling me to read one more comic on the top of 213219481239847321498372409823740918740392562037462039462309746. I read comics every day at least 4 times. hah.

FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2006 20:05
Quote: "If you were still concerned about everyone following the speech bubble order - would it be possible to open your scene with just the page of graphics, then fade in each speech bubble in the order you want them to be read? Not sure of the practicality of this, but just a thought. "

Or maybe when the player moved the mouse oover the frame of the comic the bubbles would pop up until the player moved the mouse to the next frame...if that could be done.

Locrian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2006 20:30
@Kerithion,
Well I could do that, but again it would have to be made an avi. That would be very stylish to have those appear like that. Very good idea. I just fear with as much story line as I'd like to put in this game it's size would be far to bloated. Thank you for your kind words though.

@Supah
I think they were trying to ease my mind more then down you. I'm sure those statements are people in general. Since you said you understood it, you would no longer be part of the people that didn't get the flow right?

A little advice. Don't exaggerate when posting a rebuttal to what you deem an offensive post. Exaggeration and grammar mistakes only proves to your offenders their point and leaves you an easy mark.
sanitys requiem
Years of Service
User Offline
it's really cool. looks like Perfect Dark Zero!

he's crazy, put 'em in one of those...crazy boxes.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-30 18:24:21
Your offset time is: 2024-09-30 18:24:21