Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / New to DarkBasic Pro

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello all,
I am new to DarkBasic but i'm not totally new to programming.

I am very experienced in NWScripting which is C++ based object oriented for a game called Neverwinter Nights (some of you may have seen the new Neverwinter Nights 2 on pre order about now).

Anyways, the languages are very different so its kinda like learning all over again except this time it should be a whole lot easier, any tips and helpful info would be great, I am looking forward to creating my first project, any suggestions to get me started?

Regards
§çà®Fãçë™
Scarface
Years of Service
User Offline
I have been reading some threads and see that theres a program called "Dark Game SDK" which is C++ based (or so it seems), it seems that would be a better choice for me instead of Dark Basic Pro considering I understand most of C++ already, what do you guys think?

Regards
§çà®Fãçë™
Crazy Ninja
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2006 07:58
I think to have Dark Game SDK work with Dark Basic pro and C++ you have to have C++ installed on your computer, but you might want to check with someone who knows on that.

Neverwinter Nights is a great game though. I might get the second one or i might not. I'm curios though, how exactly did you use NWscripting? Oh ya, your avatar rocks too.

____ ____ ____ ___ _ _ __ _ _ __ _ _ ____
|___ |--< |--| /__ Y | \| | | \| ___| |--|
Scarface
Years of Service
User Offline
@Crazy Ninja, Thanks for the reply.

NWScripting is basically C++ programming but rather than 1 single script with all functions attatched, you have scripts for different events, for instance, there are several script events on creatures, OnDeath event, OnSpawn event etc.. these events fire accordingly depending on the circumstanses (i.e. the creature dies or spawns), when the event is fired the script attatched to it is fired an run to do whatever you coded it to, like give XP to the killer, or create random treasure on the mob, the format is as I said C++, heres an example from my XP system I created for my NWN module that's posted on the NWVault for others to download just to give you an example, this would be fired from the OnDeath event of a creature:

As you can see it's very different from DarkBasic and much less complex but I am eager to learn, so judging by the differences between them, where is the best place for me to start learning DarkBasic?

Regards
§çà®Fãçë™
Crazy Ninja
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2006 11:59
Well you can download the trial for Dark Basic Pro on the DBP homepage. If I were you, I would then go open the help files just to see how some of the commands work. Most of the commands are really easy to grasp considering what you type in is common sense, like the command make object box 1,1,1,1 would make a box assigned to slot 1,width of 1 unit, height of 1 unit, and depth of 1 unit. Quite simple, wouldn't you agree? And since you've had experience before, it should be even easier. Good luck and always check help thoroughly if you run into a prob or check with the forums.

____ ____ ____ ___ _ _ __ _ _ __ _ _ ____
|___ |--< |--| /__ Y | \| | | \| ___| |--|
Scarface
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks again for the reply Crazy Ninja, I will try out DBP and see how it goes, be prepared for lots of Qs

Regards
§çà®Fãçë™

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-25 11:32:33
Your offset time is: 2024-09-25 11:32:33