Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Guide Needed Action/Adventure Games (Resident Evil) And More...

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2006 06:38
I was wondering if anyone had any input for knowledge on making a game like Resident Evil. These days all I hear is MMORPGs and FPS. Not that these games are bad, but I want to make something that is both violent, has a plot, and you can use your brain, without going on an online server and hearing people joke about "Chuck"... LOL! I'm just playing, I just want to give these genres a rest for now.

I would like it to be a single, and online/offline (small) multi-player and the difficulty to increase as more players join. Also, the ability to import music and graphics easy like .mp3 or something. In addition, something in the program that allows you to create movie sequences (before game and during.)

What program(s) would do the job the best as far as "game creating"
software goes? On "The Game Creators" website it appears to have a lot of useful software, but as I'm starting to research about this sort of software, I have no idea on where to read non-biased reviews about any of this stuff and if there is anything better out there. In addition, if anyone does post a list of software to buy can they give me an estimate on how long it might take to go through the tutorials and understand what I need to do for each one?

If this is in fact the best game making software for what I'm aiming to create, then I don't mind paying for the stuff. I just think it will be easier having software that acts as a developing team in a few programs.

Basically what is the easiest way to make such a project from start to finish with sacrificing little on the quality side if any and needing to learn minimal programming (Only if the software can be used to cheat the process.)

I hope this was clear enough and not too noob sounding. If it is and you don't like it will you pretend someone was just testing you and answer anyway? Thanks in advance!
Looking For Information
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2006 17:54
By the way, I understand that you can't wave a magic wand and make a game like those titles I listed. Those developing teams had millions invested in the game before they made their money. I should probably ask what is the best example of a game already made with the software? I'm kinda curious on what to expect if I decide to commit to a project for a while. If anyone feels I need to give more input on what I'm after just tell me how I could explain it better. Kinda like a "me help you so you can help me."
David iz cool
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2006 18:08
i think the best thing u can do is start looking at the examples that came with dark basic,not sure if u have dark basic or dark basic pro?

anyway u should look over the examples.
then give yourself a little test;try to make a room with a simple cube in it that u can control.
learn the commands that will move the box & allow the camera to watch your box.

later give yourself a harder test,load a 3d object as your player(instead of the box),try to make it jump this time.

if u accomplish these simple things,u will be on your way to making your big nice game!but just remember a mporg or online game is very hard to do,i havent even seen one example around here on it,i dont even think tgc have given an example on this,which i think they should.

good luck.
Looking For Information
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2006 18:12
Agreed...but then that means you think that with DBPro you can make one of these games from start to finish with movie clips and sound importing etc? How long you think the tutorials take? Is it an extensive teaching tool prior to getting your hands dirty, or is it figuring out the depths of the program?
Looking For Information
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2006 21:00
I hope someone reads this last post of mine, because I'm kind of lost.

First of all, what kind of computer is recommended for optimal results from Dark Game SDK on windows platorm? If I sell my desktop, and go with a laptop for portable programming what do you all think I should get. Under $2,000 though.

After doing some research I feel there are only a few decisions for me to make right now. Unfortunately, I can't find enough resourses on my questions, so maybe you all can help me. I gave some background on me to see if it helps.

I'm attending a "Small C" class in college right now, and I'm a Junior in college. My basics are pretty much done and I'm now on my degree classes/electives. I'm looking for some books to read on the side of my "C" class, before I decide to learn C++ and beyond.

Most of the articles on DirectX and OpenGL are outdated. Is it typically safer to use DirectX since using C++ means probably using these (Microsoft Visual C++ 7.0 and Microsoft DirectX 9.0c SDK) (or the latest ones.)
If I'm totally off don't shoot me.

What book(s) should I look into for this type of interest? Especially my game interest being a genre that I'm not hearing much about on any form of chat. If you think of any other things I should think about in deciding what I may want to use to develop such a game in the future I would be interested. My biggest thing is to find a really useful book for learning C++ and also a book on third-person adventure games such as Resident Evil (I think that is what it is classified as.)

My last question is what sets Dark Game SDK above all the other SDKs and other software for what I am trying to accomplish. Maybe I need to talk to sales LOL! Point is I can't find comparative data to other Game SDK tools, so I'm not sure if what I might buy would be the best for the job I want to do. (Who wants to by software they will end up not wanting?)

Language: C++

Compiler: Microsoft Visual C++

Target Platform: Windows

API: DirectX (I might change my mind, but so far this seems the safest.)

Software: Maybe Dark Game SDK

Microsoft Visual C++ 7.0 (2002 .NET) or higher
Microsoft DirectX 9.0c SDK

Game Interest: Action/Adventure game (similar to Resident Evil) with movie sequences before and during and endgame. Also, with puzzles and things that require you to use your head, combined with suspense and horror gameplay.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-25 11:23:45
Your offset time is: 2024-09-25 11:23:45