Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2006 09:10
This is my first model. A tree. I made it with anim8tor. It is not FPSC ready yet, because I cannot find a .3ds to .x converter.
Here is the .3ds file though. Sorry for the crappy texture.

Everybody has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2006 09:13
First of all a screenshot would be nice.
Secondly,there is a 3ds to x converter around.I believe you can find it in the resources sticky.

fpsmaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2006 09:16
I will post a screeny in a sec

fpsmaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2006 09:19
Here it is...

Attachments

FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2006 09:22
fpsmaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2006 11:04
Well, here it is. It took me a good two hours to model, make the texture for, convert and make FPSC ready. Note it has a new texture. It may need rescaled, so I will release another version in a couple of days.
Enjoy

Attachments

fpsmaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2006 11:10
Forgot Screeny...

Attachments

fpsmaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2006 17:39
Don't worry, i'll improve. I supose I don't have any other posts because it's just a tree I'll make my next one better.

Locrian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2006 17:59 Edited at: 23rd Oct 2006 19:45
Least your trying man. Don't worry about people not posting. I could give away a complete set of animated characters and seven people would comment unless they had a problem...Good luck on the modeling.
Luke314pi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2006 18:42
The model looks good, its just the texture that needs a little work. But keep it up!

AlanC
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2006 20:15
I like it. It looks like a christmas tree

hhmmmmm........ hi
Samoz83
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2006 20:18
nice, mabey you could improve the texture a bit it looks a bit blurry good work anyway

SaM
www.firelightstudio.co.uk
Reality Forgotten
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2006 21:22 Edited at: 23rd Oct 2006 21:23
the tree is garbage. The texture is garbage........Have you ever seen a tree? Probably not....ok so this is what you need to do:

1) look away from the computer
2) walk to the window
3) open curtain
4) look at tree
5) notice...there is a world away from the computer
6) engage in life
7) go back to computer
8) email digital girlfriend and tell her about the tree you just saw, make sure you tell her it like you just invented the darn thing.
9) continue your modeling
10) withdraw from society
11) become a hermit again.......

spend a little more time on the models before posting a screenshot. have your buddies proof the model before you post. make sure it is Quality.

Godzirra has spoken!

RF
Kerithion
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2006 22:59
Little bit harsh there. Given the context that it's fpsmaster's first model, I've certainly seen worse... heck, I've certainly made worse.

Quote: "the tree is garbage. The texture is garbage........"

And that's not helpful to a newbie modeller. That's not constructive. Why crush his confidence? He's made a model, he's exported it into FPSC, that's a positive first step. Saying his work is rubbish without considering his lack of experience in modelling is like telling people there is no Santa Claus: it's cruel, it's snide, and children will hate you for it.

So here's what you need to do:

Have your buddies proof your post before you post. Make sure it is quality.
Reality Forgotten
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2006 23:27 Edited at: 23rd Oct 2006 23:30
Quote: "And that's not helpful to a newbie modeller. That's not constructive. Why crush his confidence? He's made a model, he's exported it into FPSC, that's a positive first step. Saying his work is rubbish without considering his lack of experience in modelling is like telling people there is no Santa Claus: it's cruel, it's snide, and children will hate you for it."

Are you his patron saint?

C'mon man, you can not honestly sit there and tell me you said "wow, that is a good model!" when you first cast your eyes upon it. I'm glad the fpsmaster has decided to create his own models; HE shoudl spend a bit more time making them look good. we have seen time and time how people have learned to import things in to this engine. I believe there is a sticky for it or one that contains the information on how to do it. this is not a child minding service. And I do believe that it was a bit blunt to say it was garbage but I stand by what I said. It is garbage!

Quote: "Saying his work is rubbish without considering his lack of experience in modelling is like telling people there is no Santa Claus: it's cruel, it's snide, and children will hate you for it.
"

Ok but telling him it's good is saying it's ok to settle for second rate quality. Man, I'm not an over achiever by any means but I do not half-arse anything I do. And no one else should except it either.

As far as crushing his confidence, I don't think I did . It's best to put this model in to proper perspective for him that is why he posted it, to garnish feedback. If you all want I can sugarcoat what I think, I am a pro at that (anyone who has written a military performance evaluation knows what I am talking about). But then I would be just lying to the guy. and if enough of you inflate his ego he may go to a website that has professional 3d artists and attempt to show his work and then get thrashed by them only to come back to you people who confused him in the first palce. think about it! Get off of your liberal let's hold everyones hand soap box and face reality...this model sucks!

@FPSMASTER- Man keep with it! in time you will get better. but please try to work your models better than this one prior to posting.

RF
Kerithion
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2006 23:43
Quote: " It's best to put this model in to proper perspective for him that is why he posted it, to garnish feedback."

That's a fair point, and well-made: consider me off my liberal soapbox.

But surely forum members should be confident enough to post their work here so they can generate feedback without hearing that it sucks? I mean, "good" is such a subjective term. Bond1 is "good" - (although "awesome" etc would probably be more appropriate). Does that mean forum members must be that "good" to post without being told they suck? By your argument, surely all the top modellers on this site would be justified in saying to everyone else who posted media: "That sucks".

However, they don't. Because it tends not to be helpful. Even if it is a reality check.

But I see your point, RF - didn't mean to sound holier-than-thou in my post. I think criticism is a good thing, when it's constructive.

Tell you what, though - I ain't posting any of my own work for a loooong time yet. Because if you think fpsmaster's tree sucks, I think you'd have a whole lotta things to say about my abortive modelling attempts. And i know you'd be utterly justified in telling me that I "suck".
Screwed Over
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Oct 2006 00:13
if you uv map that, get rid of a few faces, give it a better texture and alpha map it, it would be an awesome tree, but at the moment the texture is horrible! good work though!

Must refrain from slang type!
Silent Thunder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Oct 2006 01:24
hmm, that actually looks like one of those fake metal christmas trees, not bad, but could be better.

At least you are making models instead of making 100000 model requests, the people that i am talking about, you know who you are. lol

fpsmaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Oct 2006 01:26
I know it could use improvement I just clone brushed the texture.
I'll try agin though. thanks for the replies.

rabid rabbit
Years of Service
User Offline
That was an exceptional feat, FPSMASTER, to make a model and make it FPSC ready in 2 hours. Good Work!

Watch out, this bunny bites...
Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Oct 2006 05:05
Good job, it does need work, remember, practice makes perfect (darn, repeating my PE teacher - ugg!)

Thy whom forces such labor as that of homework sacrifices thyself to eternity in blackness amongst the horrors of which they bestowed upon others during thy life.
fpsmaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Oct 2006 07:09
thank you guys.
I am making a ww2 entity pack.
just some crates and stuff, but it's ww2.

FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Oct 2006 08:49
Quote: "the tree is garbage. The texture is garbage........"

While RF could have been a little more...sensitive...in his criticism let me assure you that if you tell a new modeler his model looks good when it doesn't that modeler is going to keep putting out bad models.
When I first joined the forums I told people their models were good when they weren't so I wouldn't hurt their feelings (after sometimes spending hours working on something the last thing you want to hear is that it looks like crap) and because I was afraid they would quit modeling.
All I did was make things worse.
It's better to be honest.
If someone has the modeling bug (and all modelers know what I am taking about) they aren't going to quit because of one bad model.
You do have to give 'em a "E" for effort though...
At least they try to make them instead of request them.

JohannesM
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Oct 2006 14:23 Edited at: 24th Oct 2006 14:23
Quote: "crap"

ZOMG! A moderator swore

www.mortarstudios.tk and www.freewebs.com/supahsfpscstuff
SUPAH'S FPSC STUFF UPDATED!!!
Reality Forgotten
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Oct 2006 20:23
crap is not a swear word.
Silent Thunder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2006 01:32
i think that it means

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!WOW!!!!!!!

like, really, um, it means, uh, i lost the word.

filya
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2006 01:43
"ZOMG" is a manipulated OMG used mainly in online multiplayer games.

I have heard of that while playing runescape and GunzOnline.

-- n00b at playing games...and now at making em too :p --
Smitho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2006 02:07
RF, you are a well respected forum user, and have given fantastic to many fellow users, including myself. Perhaps you could try and refrain from offense, such as:

Quote: "10) withdraw from society
11) become a hermit again......."

Sarcasm can really be taken the wrong way, and can offend quite easily. Hopefully you wont have a go at me, since I know what a great asset you are to the community.

Is everything alright, by the way..? You seem a little snappy

As for the model.. I think its safe to say you saw AE's tutorial, and simply used the lathe tool. With anim8or, there are lots more assets to use with it, and to get used to them, I would recommend checking out the tutorials on the anim8or website.

http://www.anim8or.com/main/index.html

Keep going, and as Airslide said, practice makes perfect!

Yours,
Dan.

Reality Forgotten
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2006 05:11 Edited at: 25th Oct 2006 05:12
Smitho, just tired of the same old questions, models and general feel of the forums. Modeling, texuring and this engine really are not that hard of a concepts. I know there are levels of skill that play an important factor but I would be embarassed to display one of these models. My first model that I ever showcased was a commadore 64 model and I worked two days on that model. I know it was not perfect but it was worked through rather well. and textured fairly well. Half of the problems people have can be resolved if they just opened there eyes, slowed down and paid attention to what they were doing. and as far as steps 10 and 11 they were ment as a joke. I'm sorry if I offended someone.

ok back to the thread issue. Smitho is right learn the other features like they are the back of your own hand. Lathe is a great tool but is wicked easy to pack on un wanted vertices. remember that with this engine you have to be concious about your vertices make sure that you make as many as you absolutely have to have. remember if you finish a model with 8000 verts your going to have a heck of a time removing alot of them. please remember to thnk out the geomitry before you start the model this will help you trim it down in the future.

Peace-I'm out like a fat chick in dodgeball!

RF
fpsmaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2006 09:14
ok,
I think i'll purchase milkshape 3d. I heard u can't animate in anim8tor. I'm not sure if I beleive it but, anyway, milkshape has a weapon making tutorial
so i will look at that and attempt to model a weapon.
don't worry. there is no way i could pull this off in 2 hours,more like 2 days

FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2006 09:38
I made a weapon animation tutorial although I am sure if you look around the web you will find a weapon making tutorial.
My tutorial assumes that you have made a weapon model and are ready to animate it.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-30 18:22:37
Your offset time is: 2024-09-30 18:22:37