Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Looking for mentoring

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey I'm David,

And obviously I’m new, I’ve decided to start programming or try and get into this world of game making. I purchased Dark Basic, because Dark Basic Pro looked like as it says "Pro".

I looked through all these tutorials, and all these code snippets. And found quite a lot out, but to really further my education I think that I would need a tutor, a mentor, a teacher.

If any one could give me a chance I’m sure I would make an excellent student. If you have an IM, and be on regularly that would help.

Thanks a million, David
Big Man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Oct 2006 23:20
i probably wont be able to help metor you but i would be happy to lend a hand. What are you struggling with?

BM

Our aim is to keep the loo's clean, your aim can help.

3.0ghz pentium dual core processor, 2gb ds ram, 250gb HD
Zergei
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2006 05:14
Quote: "I purchased Dark Basic, because Dark Basic Pro looked like as it says "Pro"."

Thats sure shows your new. DBPro is not harder, it just has more things, some are harder to understand at first, but still basic stuff found on DBClassic are used there.
It's like buying a car. You can either buy the normal one, or you could go for the one that has all those pretty gizmos. Even if you don't know what those gizmos are or what they do, if you buy it, whithin some time you'll get to know what they're all about.

But choose as you like. Some prefer classic, or just can't get pro. It's not like im trying to discriminate those who use DBC, as i once used it.

About that mentor thing... you could try learning by yourself...

Further on my stuff at...
Big Man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2006 12:49
Quote: "About that mentor thing... you could try learning by yourself...
"

ye thats always the best way as you make sure you have understood everything before moving on.

BM

Mr X
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2006 13:40
Welcome David.

I would not be a very good mentor, but, as Big Man, I would gladly give you a helping hand. So just ask your questions, just keep in mind to try to solve the problem yourself first.

And about DBPro vs DBC: I've heard that DBPro is faster. However, it's not harder then DBC, just more stuff too use, like memblocks and UDT's.
Code Shaman
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey all,

Thanks for the input. I think I’ll get the pretty gizmo's now, and learn on that. He He, and thank you, all of you for your advice. and thanks MR X and Big Man.

Okay so where shall i begin? i probably already know the answer to that. Pong right? (I’ve read a lot of threads) but I thought I could start learning not by making a game, but making something else, maybe a database, or something? Just to learn the text programming and inputs and variables and so on.

Any ideas? David
Big Man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2006 13:57
what would you like help with to start off?
Or even better could you give us an idea of what you can already do so we can get a picture of where you are at with programming.

By the way take it from me DB doesnt take as long as you might think to pick up. When I started out I took one look at the manual and freaked but three or four months of persavierence (Spelling) and i was producing some pretty good stuff.

BM

Code Shaman
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey

I've been playing around with inputs, like the code below. I figured that I could save this in a word document and then next time they open the program they wouldn’t have to put in their name because it could be loaded or something?

And I was just wondering, I couldn’t find any thing on it, weaver it is there or not is a different thing.

and also sorry on the late replies, i think i've still got this anti-new person block. HeHe

Is this a good place to start? David
Big Man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2006 12:46
ok this isnt a bad place to start but the saving in a word doc is a bit advanced for a total begginer.

just to say with your code you do not need the two SYNC's at the first section as this would most probably slow your code down.

to tell you the truh you wouldnt be to bad off starting a pong or pacman game there are plenty of tuts to help you.

Can i ask whether or not you intend to use this code for a larger project, if so what for?

Cheers
BM

Code Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2006 13:23
You don't need to save it in a word document, just use a reglar text document. If you're wondering how to do this, use the file commands. make file, open to write, open to read, close file, write string, read string, and file end are the most useful ones.

By the way, it would probobly be better if they did enter their name, but their location was saved, that would allow for multiple users.

If this is for a text adventure then text adventures are just as good as staring with pong, they might even be easier.

I saw a list of games newcomers should make (in this order), it looked like this:

Guess the magic number
Text Adventure
Tic-Tac-Toe
Pong
Breakout
Asteroids
Pac Man
Super Mario Bros.

You can't go right from Text Adventure to Super Mario Bros, because in smaller games there is less code and you don't have to be as organized. When you try to make a bigger game these anti-organizing habits come back to haunt you, so it's best to take small steps, figure out what went wrong, and adjust your coding style accordingly.

Confucius Say...
Big Man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2006 14:45
ye listen to code dragon he probably knows better than me

I would say that a text adventure would be a perfectly resonable place to start.

BM

Code Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2006 15:07 Edited at: 2nd Nov 2006 21:27
Quote: "
ye listen to code dragon he probably knows better than me "

Maybe not, I'm still working on my Pac-Man game. Even though I've had DBP for almost a year, I don't have much to show because I immendiatly tried to make my dream game, (and several other big projects, no doubt) and wow was that a big mistake. I ended up not using DBP for a few months because it was too hard, but then I finally figured out that before I make a massive 3D RPG, I need to make simplier games.

But... I do know this:

Code Shaman, when I said the simpiler games require less organization, remember this is no excuse for not paying attention to code quality. Don't underestimate a sloppy but simple program's ability to become obfuscated really fast. Never sacrifice code quality for rapid development, if you do, it will actually take longer to make a program because the code will be harder to mantain. (This is what the software methodology known as zero defect software is all about, follow the link in my signature for more info.)

[edit]

Sorry, Code Shaman, but the site I've linked to seems to have dissapeared. You can still google Zero Defect Software Development, the site has changed it's URL and the article vansished.

Confucius say click the link to become a master game developer.
http://www.dexterity.com/articles/
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2006 17:22
Hey, I can try and be your "mentor" (just teach you stuff, answer your questions), but like others have said, it's best if you try on your own, I can just guide you . My IM is gamedev06, I use GAIM so I can communicate with both AOL and MSN.

Pirates of Port Royale
Live the life of a pirate.
Xenocythe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2006 18:26
Hey, I can mentor you too. I help alot of people through MSN, E-mail, and stuff. You can see my RPG tutorial on this board. It starts from the very beginning.

My email is: rpgmakerx2@hotmail.com

As for my MSN, add me at: kronosdarkbasic@hotmail.com

I can give you code examples, answer your questions, help you with modelling, texturing, music, anything. Just ask

CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2006 21:08
I looked at your code snippet above, Code Shaman, I am not trying to start the old debate on the topic, but I would advise you to remove GOTO from your coding. Its a potentially dangerous way to code, and imho its a crutch for flawed programming/programmers. If you learn to code correctly from the beginning you'll have less headache down the road. Coding styles are one thing, bad code is another. Back in the day goto was a necessary tool, today it is not. Again, thats all just my opinion, and I am not trying to insult anyone.

Good luck with your endeavors

Code Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2006 22:18 Edited at: 31st Oct 2006 21:07
By the way Code Shaman, if you're going to save things in a text document, check out my comma separated values function, it can really make things alot easier.

I don't believe GOTO is all evil, almost all of the time GOTO can be replaced with a loop or something similar, but for some things, like breaking from nested loops, GOTO can replace flag variables, which create much more confusion than GOTO would.

Besides, when any kind of loop is compiled into assembly code, it uses a very GOTO like statment, (JUMP I think it's called), so it's very fast. My advice: Use GOTO very rarely and document it well, and only use it if it will save you from even greater complexitiy.

In fact was coding a trim$() function yesterday for my code library, and GOTO was the only way to code it without using a flag. (First time I used GOTO in DBP, I think)

[edit]
If you look in the codebase you will see I took the goto out, I removed it while optimizing the function.

Such is the life of the goto...

Confucius say click the link to become a master game developer.
http://www.dexterity.com/articles/
Code Shaman
Years of Service
User Offline
erm hey?

sorry for not replying been a bit to busy for my liking! er thanks i have taken all your advice into consideration and will start on some small game. i would like to do astriods? maybe with a sprite or just using ASSCI? well any way if someone could point me in the right direction i could get jetting along with this cause i really would love too!

Thanks a lot, David
Code Shaman
Years of Service
User Offline
opps just read the bit about "jumping the gun" again and figured it out. im very good at writing stories because of my imaganition so if you think i should start there? then i will, text adventures are just like...erm books where u get to chose wat happends next for the character right??

Sorry bout spelling in a hurry, David

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-25 11:22:12
Your offset time is: 2024-09-25 11:22:12