Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Advise On Books

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2006 21:11
To become more knowledgable about C++ I decided to buy this book that my college class uses.

Small C++ How to Program (5th Edition) (How to Program) by Harvey & Paul) Deitel & Associates (Paperback - Jan 11, 2005)

I heard this was one of the best books on C++.

C++ How to Program (5th Edition) (How to Program) (Paperback)
by Harvey & Paul) Deitel & Associates.

The Small C++ book appears to be a condensed version of that recommended book and the covers are similar. When I'm done with the book for my class, do you all think I should buy the more in depth book? Also, what other books are debated as C++ "bibles?" Also, I can't find any books on Adventure games or Survival Horror. It seems like they have every other genre except Adventure. I'm kinda hoping to make a game like this in the future...

Game Interest: Action/Adventure game (similar to Resident Evil) with movie sequences before and during and endgame. Also, with puzzles and things that require you to use your head, combined with suspense and horror gameplay.
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Oct 2006 15:24
If you really want to code a 3d engine there is a great book

TRICKS OF THE 3D GAME PROGRAMMING GURUS
Advanced 3d graphics and rasterization
SAMS
by Andre Lomothe

depends heavily on 2d or 3d really.

firefly
Years of Service
User Offline
Although I am very inexperienced the best books I have read on programming are the Hands on Dark Basic Pro Vol 1 & 2. I have recently purchased and started volume 2 (they are essentaiy working exercie books) which concentrates on 3D, but if the first volume is anything to go by then it gives you a good grounding in the concepts of programming. Can't reccommend it enough.

Also another good building block type book is C# for the Absoloute begginer ISBN 1-931841-16-0
Julius Caesar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Oct 2006 16:26 Edited at: 28th Oct 2006 16:27
I got C++ in easy steps, but I dont think it's too good, although I find that sereis generally quite good.

Try C++ for dummies, it's a bit slow at first, and does jump on quite a bit sometimes but on the whole it is helpful.

Oh, and shouldn't this be on the board for other languages?

I came, I saw, I conquered. The die is cast. It is not these well-fed long haired men that I fear, but the pale and the hungry looking. Et tu, Brute?
Who am I quoting?
Looking For Information
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Oct 2006 18:03
I'll check out some of these books, but I was kinda looking for one that specialized in C++, but discussed game programming and how you apply C++ with examples and cd rom etc. C++ for game programming, or some title like that.
Looking For Information
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Oct 2006 18:03
I'll check out some of these books, but I was kinda looking for one that specialized in C++, but discussed game programming and how you apply C++ with examples and cd rom etc. C++ for game programming, or some title like that.
Looking For Information
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Oct 2006 18:35
Oh since I'm a noob, I thought this was the forum to stick with for now. Sorry for not making that known.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-25 11:18:51
Your offset time is: 2024-09-25 11:18:51