Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / is there a tutorial for point-and-click games in DBP?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hallo! I'm new of DBP and I'd like to create a 3D point-and-click adventure, à la Dark Fall or CSI Dark Motives. I've tried to use another software before, a freeware called Game Maker, but it couldn't handle 3D and as far as I've read the full version (with some 3D functions) wasn't so good for it either. I'm pretty basic at programming so I'd like some step2step one but since I know it's boring to explain everything even some few ones will do. I've read
http://developer.thegamecreators.com/?f=t02/bm_tutorial_index
and few others so now I have a rough idea of how this software works, I just don't feell ike spending a month trying to figure out how to create a room in 3D and move through it . I think that some of the FPS tutorials can be useful for that and the movement stuff (it'd be first person based game) but I need more help on things like dealing with 3D objects, mouse movement, dealing with sprites , menus, cameras, placing obcejts in space etc... (btw isn't there an easy way to have a fixed camera, à la DOOM or Wolfstein, to be clear ?)
I've never done anything in 3D, I really have no idea how to start and I'm not so good in Maths either to start hardcoding , I know I'm asking a lot, I'm just hoping in a miracle please bear with me

Any kind of help would be more than welcomed!
Thanks

Gractactio pallarum omnia pericula fugat
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Oct 2006 09:51
welcome mate, your project sounds entirely feasible in darkbasic.

there is a command that allows you to mousepick in 3d space pre programmed within the language.
the rest of your game would heavily weigh on your 3d skills as they improved so would the visual component of the game.

at first when i read your idea i thought pre rendered 3d scenes into images with mouse click hot spots between the loading of the areas of the map change what next 3d model to load.

good luck the code is shorter & easier then you think.

initialize variables
establish environment
load menus
position camera
load first map

playgame

while looping check for hot spots and move camera while loading new maps

endgame

the 3d modelling part will make your game shine through the pack if you stick with it.

leobloom
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for answering!
OK, I've checked some other threads and the codebase too, there are many useful things there, now I need to first write down the basic idea and start trying things. I have absolutely NO 3D skills =o/ I've tried using anim8tor software for some weeks and came up with nothing on my own, I always need something to start from and most of the times my models were worse than those form where I had started I think I'll just look for some free 3D models to use =o), only problem is how to lower the poly I know some websites offering stuff like that but none with lowpoly free stuff.

Abot the prerendered background, I?m not really sure of what iit is, isn't simply an image used as visual trick to make the player believe he's in a 3D words while in fact he's in a 2D? By using them do I still have the possibility to literaly move around the area or am I stuck on one single image of the room I'm in? And again, do you know some tutorials to create these prerendered images and how to use them with 3D models? Up to know I'm still trying to learn how to create a room on my own and move though it but I'm using two codes I've found as a basis and none of them has a fixed camera like DOOM (views change according to my arrows movement, I mostly see the character's back form an upper view, to explain better how these cameras are)
About the hotspots I havent found anything referring to that in a specific way but with some effort i think I can code it myself =o) (I hope )

About maps, what are they exactly?? I've never heard of them while using Game Maker, mayb thhey are called differently in a 2D game?

I know I've asked many quesitons again lol mor e to come soon, I'm going to check the FPS tutorial

Sorry for the newby's questions and for bothering!!
Thanks a lot again!

Gractactio pallarum omnia pericula fugat

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-25 11:22:13
Your offset time is: 2024-09-25 11:22:13