Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Models and Media / character modeling question

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Oct 2006 05:18
Hi guys, I am going to start doing some character modeling soon, but as many of you know, I use anim8or for my entity modeling. It has been brought to my attention that anim8or is not recommended for doing such modeling and animation. My question is, What programs will I need to successfully create characters and animations that are compatible with the FPSC engine.

Please try to maintain the scope of this thread as I need this information to properly contribute to this community.
Zeppelin 37BDF
Years of Service
User Offline
I would suggest Milkshape 3D, because it has a built in animator for characters and weapons. It is also very cheap for such a powerful program.

Screwed Over
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Oct 2006 16:38
fragmotion is supposed to be good for rigging, i dont know though, i've never used it.

[b]Photoshop scientist![b]
ak470000
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Oct 2006 18:08
If you're looking for a cheap "do-it-all" software, Milkshape seems like the best choice. Its methods and interface are pretty straightforward; hard to get more boiled-down or simpler than that program.

Gamespace is pretty good too and has a more pleasant interface, but costs more and some of the import/export options dont work that great. But it'll work fine toward any models/enemies/weapons that you make toward fpsc and supports animation as well.
Reality Forgotten
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2006 08:35
Quote: "If you're looking for a cheap "do-it-all" software"

Try Blender it's free.
Silent Thunder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2006 08:46
Quote: "Try Blender it's free."

bah, to complicated for me.

I just model the stuff in anim8or, then animate it with milkshape.

the inovator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2006 16:36
can I export the sceleton from animator into milkshape ?
Silent Thunder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2006 17:47
now that, i don't know.

Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2006 23:09
3D Studio Max is the best option...... it's the only 3D application which seems to be capable of doing animated characters for FPSC. I know it's not cheap at all.

Some recommend Ani8or, others Fragmotion, blender, 3D Canvas or Milkshape, all of them cheap or even free..... but I have yet to see someone create a animated character for FPSC with it. I know a good number of people claim they can do it, but I've not seen their work at all.

The people we do see releasing animated characters, seem to use 3D Studio Max.

I'm trying Cinema4D at the moment, haven't been succesful yet, but I'm not giving up for now.

http://www.gamefun4u.nl/index.html
GameFun4U, the ultimate funtainment. Cool Games and Resources for your own games.
Havok
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2006 23:52 Edited at: 29th Oct 2006 23:53
Quote: "I have yet to see someone create a animated character for FPSC with it"

What about Disturbing 13? He got a bunch of characters out of Milkshape. The exporting is easier and faster than 3DS Max because the exporter is built in. The reason you do not see many characters out of those applications is because nobody here can really build characters with them.

I know Karate, Kung Fu, and 47 other dangerous words...
Silent Thunder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2006 00:15
Quote: "3D Studio Max is the best option"

gah, heck no, unless of course you just inherited 1000's and 1000's of dollars.

Reality Forgotten
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2006 00:35
Quote: "The reason you do not see many characters out of those applications is because nobody here can really build characters with them"

I have used Blender for quite a few things. I have also posted them here on the forums. People would love Blender if they were not to lazy
to learn the interface. I still use blender for certain types of modeling and Max 8 for other areas. it all just depends.

RF
Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2006 09:20
I'm not lazy when it comes to applications and I've used Blender in the past, but I still hate it and really dislike the interface.

Since there are good alternatives for Blender around, I choose to invest my time into something else, instead of learning it's out of this world interface and way of working. The interface and workflow of an application can either break it or make it and in Blender's case it did break it, even though it's a good apllication.

This has nothing to do with being lazy, but going about investing my time wisely. I'm always looking for tools that can improve my worklow and work experience and Blender does excactly the opposite for me.

http://www.gamefun4u.nl/index.html
GameFun4U, the ultimate funtainment. Cool Games and Resources for your own games.
Mr Love
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: MAFIA 2
Posted: 30th Oct 2006 17:49
"3D Studio Max is the best option...... it's the only 3D application which seems to be capable of doing animated characters for FPSC. I know it's not cheap at all."

This is not true! Rigg You Character in Mocca, and then just export the animated Character as an Xfile! Its even easyer than Max!

I want to see a FPSC Professional! And lets make it REALLY expensive this time......
Reality Forgotten
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2006 17:52
I would not spend that much money just for the FPSC engine......My wife bought it for me but I use several engines. so it is kinda justified.
Mr Love
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2006 18:10
Reality Forgotten, do You have the CSP engine? (Made from Blitz3D.)
I might buy that engine, it dosnt cost mutch at all..
(It is sad that CSP is slower than FPSC..)

I want to see a FPSC Professional! And lets make it REALLY expensive this time......
Locrian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2006 18:59 Edited at: 30th Oct 2006 19:02
How is that any easier Love? I don't know about anyone else, but most people export directly from Max. And there's no software around in it's dreams that has more control then Character Studio. I mean animating in Poser is probably the easiest thing I've ever seen personally but this doesn't make it better then Max. Being easy doesn't mean better.

But to innovator,
Id suggest Milkshape. For one, there's only 2 animations supported on this forum: 3D MAx and MilkShape. Regardless if blenders free or what other people are saying unless you intend on doing 2498 frames of animation by hand, the best solution is going to be one of those two options. Not knowing your financial disposition I'll say this. If your like me and think of this as a hobby and prefer it over a new boat or Harley Davidson like others my age, buy 3dMax. There's no software out there on it's level. If your more of a student/less financialy stable, go for Milkshape. These guys can debate the best softwares till the end of time, but it boils down solely to what your going to do. And what im hearing is you want to make characters for FPSC. FPSC animations are supported in both products for work you want to do with this engine. Personally I own both. I couldn't make a box in Milkshape but just the fact it opens so many file types was worth the 25$(whatever) to me. Maybe one day I'll even learn it. I also own Blender but have not done so much as open it up. Using Max has spoiled me and I see no need to learn another software.(edit: I'm really still learning Max as theres so much that this program dose.)
Mr Love
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2006 19:19
When I meant easyer, then I meant the export procedure. All settings are automatic in Cinema 4D. Thats not the case with Milkshape or Max.

Reality Forgotten
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2006 19:48
not debating just stating the obvious. Don't over extend your budget. that's all i am saying.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-30 18:23:38
Your offset time is: 2024-09-30 18:23:38