Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Models and Media / Signs IV for FPSC

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Oct 2006 09:39 Edited at: 28th Oct 2006 09:49
Next month Signs turns 1. Yes, In November Signs will have it's first birthday. So, I decided to do some more upgrading. Signs IV has new features and does them fast. New overlays, New scripting system, New transparent walls, floors and room.

Some Actual Comparisons:

A Cheetah: 37.3 meters in 1 second
A Ferrari 612: 0-60 in 4.5 seconds
Signs IV: From Image to FPSC in .05 seconds

Sign IV will be released in November

Signs IV creates Text Scripts

Signs IV has better overlays and transparency for walls, floors and rooms
Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Oct 2006 09:43
Very cool Tschwarz!

hope i get a change to buy this version when its done!

My arrival shocked some people maybe...but i dont seem to care anyway...behold my mights!
-Prince Of Darkness
Thraxas
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Oct 2006 10:12
Looks pretty sweet... I particularly like the text scripts...

Will there be any discounts for existing owners and what will the price be?

'Dawn of the Fallen Angel' coming soon(ish)...
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FPSC Multiplayer Games
Posted: 28th Oct 2006 17:12 Edited at: 28th Oct 2006 17:15
I'm pushing money into the monitor as we speak. I want it now, but I'll wait until you have it perfect. The text script addition will be a serious time saver.

If you're not careful, you will soon have the best all-around utility for FPSC.

This should be next months fpsFREE.com's featured software.

Patiently yours.

Best.

The forum provides a means to hide our true identity. Too bad we always screw up and let it be seen.

Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Oct 2006 17:41
Cool! Will Signs IV have doors and windows also? That is really still missing.

http://www.gamefun4u.nl/index.html
GameFun4U, the ultimate funtainment. Cool Games and Resources for your own games.
Kerithion
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Oct 2006 17:49
Quote: "If you're not careful, you will soon have the best all-around utility for FPSC."

I agree with xplosys - looking forward to this, just gets better and better.
ak470000
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Oct 2006 17:57
It looks fantastic, love it; I have the same concern about whether there will be a discount or upgrade.
Silent Thunder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Oct 2006 18:43
WOOHOO!!!

nice!

Seth Black
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Oct 2006 20:12
tschwarz,

Greetings. Seriously sweet! Please do keep us informed as to when it is completed.

Thanks,

Seth Black

"...I'm sorry, could you repeat your question a little louder? I'm a trifle deaf in this ear."

- Willie Wonka
tschwarz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Oct 2006 20:31
xplosys - Featured would be cool.

Benjamin A - Are you talking working doors and windows that punch through a wall? Well let me just say "No Comment"

Users that have purchased Signs will get the upgrade at no charge. PayPal verification required.

When Signs IV is released in November the purchase price will change, this is mostly because "Screens" is being incorporated into Signs starting with Signs IV.
Jon Fletcher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Oct 2006 20:41 Edited at: 28th Oct 2006 20:41
very nice! im looking forward to it

Kerithion
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Oct 2006 22:12
Quote: "When Signs IV is released in November the purchase price will change, this is mostly because "Screens" is being incorporated into Signs starting with Signs IV."

"Screens"? What is this "Screens" you speak of, and where may I find out more about it please?

(Amazing how such an inocuous word as "Screens" can get me excited.)
Locrian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2006 00:35
Sounds great Terry. One issue that I hope is addressed that I noticed only today(hence why I'm here, and seen this post this evening), is that even in the signsIIIc exe which I was given to test, that the walls made as segments aren't allowing for a csg punch of a door or window. Looking at the FPE, it should be able too as 'Isimmune=0'. Overlays and such are nice but due to FPSC lights/shadows/shader effect working different they don't appear the same. I tried making new images for each section of a hallway with little variances and though it looked exactly how I wanted it to in comparison to overlays, the CSG punching was a huge problem.

Sorry to be so late in this review of this problem but only noticed it over the last couple of hours as I was trying to put all this together how I wanted it. I guess I should explain that I was doing this as individual walls so when traveling down something like a hallway if there's a crack in the plaster on the left the same texture isn't mirrored on the right. Overlays will not be the answer to this problem as to me they look much less saturated then the textures on the surrounding entities. Though much easier to use overlays till TGC deals with the way FPSC deals with how overlays are effected by the surroundings( not even sure it's possible) for people such as myself going for a total overall look to their games and not just a point and click goodied games, doing individual walls are really our only hope and much more important then overlays or more transparencies.
axifer designs
Years of Service
User Offline
ok im definetly gonna get that upgrade!!!

Visit axifer.tk ! my new site!
tschwarz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2006 01:36
Locrian,

I was under the impression that a single wall either segment or entity does not allow for CSG (punch through). Am I incorrect? The way I get around this is to place a wall from the currently selected room segment after pressing "M". If you know a way around this let me know and I will add it into Signs IV before it is released. I'll check out isimmune, is that the key?

The overlay decals have their place but, in no way can complete with a good computer artist using photoshop. But, that can be said about FPSC, it's good but, can't compete with a good programmer with C++. I'll be posting how to create your own overlay decals soon which hopefully will make it a more viable option.

I know your schedule is tight but, do you have time to test Signs IV. I have appreciated your input in the past on Skies and Signs and since you are named in the manual I thought you might want to give some input.
Locrian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2006 01:42
Yeah sure on the testing. "M" isn't the solution to my problem but since I'm up to this part of my project belive that I'll be figureing a way around this.
s4real
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Looking good tschwarz the text scripts will def make things a lot better and faster.

Nice one

Im a wizz at texturing toilets
Mr Love
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: MAFIA 2
Posted: 29th Oct 2006 01:58
How about vertical & horizontal scaling in Signs V?
Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeese...

I want to see a FPSC Professional! And lets make it REALLY expensive this time......
tschwarz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2006 03:30
Kerithion - Screens is another application I was working on that allows you to create script files from a selection of options. I wrote a voice recorder and many other features. The problem is that it still requires that the user modify certain aspects inside of FPSC.
Signs IV allows me to test some functionality of Screens but, make it fully automatic. Meaning it creates everything for you, the text image, the script, the settings for the entity. The on screen text in Signs IV requires no scripting or setting the transparency levels, etc... Signs IV does everything for you. The features of Screens will slowly be brought into Signs.
FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2006 13:37
Can't wait for Signs IV.
Adding the stuff from screens will not only be helpful but it will put an end to a lot of posts about text huds,etc.
I can't wait for this to come out.

Locrian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2006 19:11
Terry,
Before even seeing a copy of signsIV I can give a couple of pointers.

The arch way model you use for your walls is a bit to thin. It seems to be the width of a floor tile. Wile it fits perfectly width and height, it just seems very thin and unbelievable when seen in game. Your FPE's made by Signs even refers to wall_MID_a.x which is the correct thickness for a wall with no protruding geometry.

To solve my segment problem I've taken this a step further. I've made two versions of the wall_MID_a.x thats twice as thick so I can match up to segment walls that use the "M" key, one with a door hole punched in it and one plain. This double thickness solves my problem of door jams sticking out in such a manner that looks like they made a jam out of 2x12's and allows me to place a door segment in what is normally a single wall segment. Using these 2 'extra' wall tiles allows me to easily match up with any existing segment section or wall entity section that I'd like. Running the walls on 45's seems to produce a seemingly 1 inch wide in game texture bleed but no more then when the single wall versions are used in place and easily hidden by a pipe or grandfather clock..(hehe).

One thing I noticed with SignsIIIc is that the segment versions of the same wall seem to be lower then the entity versions. I remedied this by a 'y offset=-2.5' in the fpe so you may wanna check this as the same x file is used in both situations yet this makes the textures line up horribly.

Below you see a shot of 4 sections. The more plain grayish one on the far left is a segment wall section. The following right section has a door in it. After that the same section with no door. And finally a plain section with no hole.

This next image shows a 45 degree wall intersection and from this side no bleeding occurs.

The bleeding occurs in the negative direction of the angle and produces this sliver which I can't seem to get out yet when setting with the 'B' button. if your free handing it this can be avoided.

Here shows a configuration that would be impossible to do with regular segments. A 6x6 area with a single segments space walled off and a door out of the total 6 segments and a door into this walled off section within the 6 segments. Every wall can have a different texture and joining up to other segments is seamless. Doors are now possible.

If you want the files, meaning the x files I made, and my fpe corrections in a zip just ask.
s4real
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Testing the wall segments and entity versions and had the same problem as loc had, changing the 'y offset=-2.5' sorts out the problem.

Im using sign 3 full version so i should say everyone will have the same problem.

Im a wizz at texturing toilets
tschwarz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2006 21:22 Edited at: 29th Oct 2006 21:25
Locrian - I'll need some time to go through your post and understand everything in it. Thanks

s4real - I'll add your offset in as soon as I test the value, thanks for confirming that.
tschwarz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2006 04:30
Ok, 1st I tested the offset=-2.5 and have set it in code. There is a problem though, if you create a lower level you will see some bleeding from that wall on the ceiling when looking up. Only from specific view points.

The best solution is to recreate the .x file to a more exact size. With my limited modelling software and skills I'll give it another go and make the arch thicker too.

Locrian - Could you post a picture of the fpsc design mode of that last picture you posted. A top down look of what you are doing there would help me understand it better.
Reality Forgotten
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2006 05:33
sounds/looks good man keep it up!

RF
tschwarz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2006 06:30
Thank RF, it's all good until it get down to the wire. But, it'll be done in Nov.

Really like getting feed back that pushes me to make it better.

Anyway, The arch is now at the correct width..

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Mr Love
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: MAFIA 2
Posted: 30th Oct 2006 17:39
Please tschwarz, can You at least think about having scaling in Your next version of Signs? (If it will be another version.)
Another idea to make Your program better is to implement automatic bumpmapping for walls... (just an idea..)

I want to see a FPSC Professional! And lets make it REALLY expensive this time......
Locrian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2006 18:37

All the walls for that apartment are wall entities made with signs. The thick walls for the doors(leading into the bathroom and into the hall) were walls I made in signs then in the fpe called on entities I made with a double thickness and a door hole in the right place. The door segments just automatically attach themselves to the outside of a segment so they look and react in the same way as placing a door in a segment.
tschwarz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2006 03:10
Locrian - I see, on your thick wall you made an opening so the door did not have to punch through the wall segment / entity. Unfortunatly I can't do that in Signs because not all the doors included with fpsc are the same dimensions. But, you were able to get around the single wall punch through and that's all that matters.

I used to live in an apartment pretty close to that layout. Ahhh the good ole days . . pauses a few moments, memories a little fuzzy, then remembers, oh yeah good times. flash back gone...

Anyway, I just finished compiling a new version, I'll run a few tests and then send you an email.

Mr Love - Sorry, I am not ignoring you, I'll look at adding the bumpmap effect option in this version and will post about your other request a little later. Thanks
Locrian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2006 03:43 Edited at: 31st Oct 2006 03:48
Well if we had the option to select a mesh that would be great. I mean I know it can't cover everything but if it had the options to choose the pieces we needed, it would make this utility much more flexable. Also, is there a reason these entities are dynamic to start with? I've not needed a dynamic wall entiy as of yet but the option to choose how the fpe is filled out again would make the utility more usefull. I mean it's an easy change but why even go to the TGC folder if you don't have to. I've had to add the line "defaultstatic = 1" to every wall I made so far.

EDIT: Even if we have to place the entity we'd like to use for a wall mesh in the signs folder that would be a huge help. It would be nice to be able to 'find' a file but even if it worked like the TGC seg editor would be great. I now find myself using many custom walls at S4's request. Some are double lenght...some are only 95 pix wide. So this ability would be the stuff.
tschwarz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2006 04:04
I just discovered the wall entity being dynamic the other day. Signs now creates it as static, unless you choose the ismoble option. It's in the update I'm sending you now.

I have pretty much figured out how to allow users to add their own custom stuff, now it's just coding it. I also think this would take Signs to a whole new level. But, this would be a more advanced feature because of the way I'm thinking of doing it.

Anyway first things first. I'm sending you an email now. Actually just logged into the forum for your email.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-30 18:26:07
Your offset time is: 2024-09-30 18:26:07