Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Question on maps...

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi, I've only had Dark Basic for a few days.
Just a quick question on maps, How many maps come with the software, and where are they actually stored on the Hard Drive?

I have this line in the FPS tutorial:

load bsp "world\ikzdm1.pk3","ikzdm1.bsp"
SkyObj=1 : load object "models\sky\am.x",SkyObj

And I'm trying to change the map to something else, any ideas?

And also, I have the Darkmatter Model pack, does that have any maps?

Thanks.
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Oct 2006 14:41
do a search with the aster-ix and the pk3 file over your computer. eg *.pk3 inside each pk3 will be a bsp that is the second paramter.

Julius Caesar
Years of Service
User Offline
Try having a look at matrices or advanced terrain though, as the bsp stuff does not work very well. If you need help on them, there will be plenty of people to help.

I have just started with advanced terrain, and all you need to make a great looking 3d landscape is 3 2d images and a few lines of code! Just a greyscale "heightmap" a "detail" texture file and an overall texture file!

Simple if you are looking to make an outdoor game!

I came, I saw, I conquered. The die is cast. It is not these well-fed long haired men that I fear, but the pale and the hungry looking. Et tu, Brute?
Who am I quoting?
Neon Knight
Years of Service
User Offline
okay, thanks for the help so far...

Say for example, I had a .pk3 file in the location C:\pk3files\blergh.pk3

Would I edit this code:
load bsp "world\ikzdm1.pk3","ikzdm1.bsp"
to:
load bsp "C:\pk3files\blergh.pk3","blergh.bsp"

and similar for skyspheres?

And also, how do you change the scale of a map? Because in the FPS tutorial that comes with the software, the map is absolutely huge, and the camera perspective is far too low to the ground. How would I go about changing this?
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Oct 2006 17:37
each dark basic pro project should have its own folder.
dark basic pro creates two files when you save it correctly
project file
and source code

this is a most basic setup

if you make a folder in your game projects folder called media
load bsp "media\ikzdm1.pk3","ikzdm1.bsp"

if you didnt have a project file and running the source without setting up around it
load bsp "C:\pk3files\blergh.pk3","blergh.bsp"

the latter is very bad, when you compile your game, it will either capture a whole lot of garbage into the final and when you have to send all the files it will be a nightmare to say the least.

Neon Knight
Years of Service
User Offline
right, so you're saying I have to have the pk3 file in the project folder, for easier access by the program?

Also, off topic, just wondering, how can I browse the contents of a pk3 file?
jinzai
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2006 03:26 Edited at: 29th Oct 2006 03:31
WinZip, WinRAR, and DBPro all can read the directories, and file content of a pk3 file. pk3 is zip. Most pk3s are not compressed, however...but, they can be.

Like indi said above, you put the pk3 wherever, like a directory called media...but the quick and dirty method is to put it in the same directory as the executable...the project directory, usually.

I think bsps work fine...yes, some bsp files are not too good, as falling through is a concern for me, and sliding, too...but there are functions to help that. They are a little difficult in terms of setting up a workable toolchain, but...that is the the same grief every method shares at some level.

Finally, I think that the pk3 method is a good way to tackle the asset location issue that is inevitable when you are dealing with many maps, textures, sounds, models, shaders, and what have you. Also, DBPro can make all of that into one file...times are great, imo.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-25 11:25:47
Your offset time is: 2024-09-25 11:25:47