Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Start from the beginning....

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Right, I'm new to Dark Basic professional. I've been pretty nifty on QBASIC for the past 10 or so years, so I thought DB would be pretty straightforward, but it isn't.

I understand the syntax and everything, it's just I need a REALLY basic tutorial that goes from the VERY START explaining absolutely everything about what all of the commands do, and how they do it.

The FPS tutorial just gives you blocks of code and tells you what it does, but I wouldn't know how to use the code for my own purposes, if you know what I mean.

My aim for learning DP, is mostly to be able to make First Person Shooters, so if there's a really decent, from the start tutorial for an FPS, if you don't mind linking me to it, that's be great.
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Oct 2006 14:39
the basics to a game broken down many times to a simple form is this.

most games have a main loop where the core of the game is run.
making your game operate efficiently while keeping fps is the holy grail of gamedev.
some games do not require this much efficiency but most good ones do.

without giving you a sample hello world code snippet and rambling on about the basics its really best to do the tutorials in the package and on the web.

one tip, press f1 when you have an unknown command highlighted.

Julius Caesar
Years of Service
User Offline
there is a tut for that on the actual installation!

I came, I saw, I conquered. The die is cast. It is not these well-fed long haired men that I fear, but the pale and the hungry looking. Et tu, Brute?
Who am I quoting?
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Oct 2006 21:48
Well the best thing that I know to do is give you an example. Give me an example that you'd like to make (fairly simple obviously), and I'll explain not only the code but how it works best I can .

Pirates of Port Royale
Live the life of a pirate.
Grog Grueslayer
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Green Hell
Posted: 28th Oct 2006 23:15
A lot of the commands are the same but a little different. Like "select case" in Quickbasic is "select" in Darkbasic. So you can start by making code like you would in Quickbasic but change it till Darkbasic understands it.
Mistrel
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Oct 2006 23:23 Edited at: 28th Oct 2006 23:24
Coming from a background of programming in ASIC prior to DarkBasic I was able to pick it up fairly quickly. It was QBasic that didn't make much sense to me.

http://3dfolio.com
Xenocythe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2006 01:51
My rpg tutorial is always available

Neon Knight
Years of Service
User Offline
right,

Basically, I need a starting point, I just really need to know the basic framework needed to make an FPS, or it doesn't even need to BE an fps, I just need a framework for a game where I can change the models around for my own purposes, and add fancy bits to make it more professional.
That's always the way I prefer to learn a programming language.

And I'll check out your RPG tutorial, Xenocythe!
Zotoaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2006 02:08
There should be a sticky at the top of this page called "My First Pong Game", very helpful indeed.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-25 11:27:54
Your offset time is: 2024-09-25 11:27:54