Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

3 Dimensional Chat / Animated .x from Lightwave...

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Has anybody been able to export animated .x files from lightwave?
I have succesfully done static objects, but just can't seem to figure out how to do animated objects.

HELP!!!
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2002 09:25
you'll probably get better help with lightwave over at RGT as that is what GuyS seems to use... But if i remember correctly the site has a link to the NewTek made exporters - which happen to be pretty good an simple to use. Failing all of that just export as another format, like MD3 or 3DS

Holy jumping mother of god NOOOO!!!...
Gordolfo
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello again,

What is RGT?

indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2002 19:09
http://www.realgametools.net/forums/

http://www.lunarpixel.com/ is my new site
pathfinder
Years of Service
User Offline
No newtek said they were going to make one a year ago and we are all still waiting grrrrr

However good news is Dstorm (basically they make alot of the plugins that come with lightwave anyway lol) does do a directx export plugin, it exports on bone anims too

go here

http://www.dstorm.co.jp/dslib/dx3d/DX3D_132.zip

Make sure you save the file as a text format not binary cause it dosent work in DBpro!!! also check out my bsp coverter discussion in dbpro chat Ive included my bsp map in directx and lwo format!!!

pathfinder
Years of Service
User Offline
the dstorm plugin works in both layout and modeller, so if you want animation run the plugin from layout.

Gordolfo
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello Pathfinder, thanks for taking the time to give me some pointers. I tried the dstorm plug in, and I am able to export static objects but not animated ones. Have you been able to do animated objects? which checkboxes are you clicking on at the export requester?
I am just trying to do simple things like getting the wheels of a car to rotate, or other similar types of motion within an object.

pathfinder
Years of Service
User Offline
hmm you must have been tinkering with it big time . K

in the export tab I have

version = Directx8
format = text
export materials = tick
export animation = tick
export frames = tick
frame prefix = Frame

Animation tab as follows

frame to export = Keyframes & sampling
frame steps = 1
timescale factor = 1
bake fulltime IK motions = tick

preview tab I Have - not importand but it does help to know it worked

Run view after Export = tick
select viewer = C:\LightWave_3D_7.0\Plugins\directx\viewer\DXView.exe

pathfinder
Years of Service
User Offline
oh Iam running version v1.3.2

pathfinder
Years of Service
User Offline
I can animate both keyframe animations and bone distortions

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2002 08:54
ya know i kinda feel i should brush up on lightwave ... i have 7.0 still in it shrink wrap

Holy jumping mother of god NOOOO!!!...
Gordolfo
Years of Service
User Offline
I am so frustrated. Regardless of what I try it doen't work.
When I export my files from LW they look ok on the .x viewer, but when I try them on DB they don't look right. I have been going on circles on this.
To eliminate the posibility of being bad writen db code I downloaded the object viewer from the db homepage (that is one awesome program). When the objects are static the look great. When they animate I have limbs going all over the place. Somebody suggested to create my geometry on LW and the animations on MilkShape, but I was unable to find a milkshape animation tutorial that showed how to do limb animation, all I found was skeletal animation. Which as I understand DB does not support mesh deformation --only db pro, right?.
Do you by any chance also have the db object viewer? (the one from the dark basic site) I am wondering if you are able to view your files with that one. The one that comes with the LW export plugin always shows the files right eventhough they don't load on db.

pathfinder
Years of Service
User Offline
put them up in this chat ill take a look for you, include the lwo file

pathfinder
Years of Service
User Offline
only dbpro does mesh deforms from a .x file, sorry mate. So exporting the animation wont work. Make sure your using uv mapping too.

Gordolfo
Years of Service
User Offline
I kind of figured once I found outthere was no mesh deformation supported on db classic I was out of luck.
I guess I will start trying to figure out MilkShape. I was able to load a UV mapped 3ds object into it, so I hope to be able to use it just to do the animation part of it.
Thanks for all your help.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 15:15:50
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 15:15:50