Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / An RTS

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2006 08:35 Edited at: 26th Nov 2006 23:51
The first alpha release of the rts is available for testing. You may download it at http://download.yousendit.com/9E56938012FDAB6D or by downloading the attached zip in this post. Please read the readme attached in the zip for information on how you can test it and what you should be able to do in this release. Have fun!

Old information:
Here's an RTS I've been programming the last couple of weeks. It's loosely based off Starcraft. So far the only race is the robotic/cyborg-like race, and in the picture you can see the units the game has so far: The flying unit is based off the Hunter Killer from the Terminator movies; the 3-legged unit is based off the Destroyer Droid from Star Wars; and the worker units, gathering the minerals, are based off Johnny 5. I've been doing the programming and a friend has been doing most of the 3d modelling, 2D art, and play testing.

[Link to larger version of image: http://img226.imageshack.us/img226/9011/game24fa1.jpg].

I've broken the AI into seperate levels to make it easier to program and understand:

Level 1 AI - handles unit movement, is the interface between level 2 AI and A*. It also handles repathing as needed. Status: done.

Level 2 AI - handles waypoints and orders such as: Move to Location, Move to Unit, Follow, Attack, Hold, Gather, Build, Attack Move, Stop, Repair, Resume Construction. Any combination of such orders can be added to the waypoint list. Status: done with the exception of Repair and Hold.

Higher levels of AI are not complete, however all but level 4 AI has been implemented to an extent.

Level 3 AI will contain unit micro, execute orders from the level 4 AI, and will report new information, such as 'enemy spotted', back to the level 4 AI.

Level 4 AI will contain group AI, will issue orders to the level 3 AI, and will execute orders from level 5 AI.

Level 5 AI will contain the various managers, such as: Military Manager, Intelligence Manager, Resource Manager, Unit Manager, and Expansion Manager. Each manager will need to request minerals when it needs to build something, units when it needs units for something, etc. These requests will be fulfilled based on a priority system.

Level 6 AI will control the general strategy of the player indirectly through what priorities it gives the various managers and orders it issues them. It will recieve messages such as "expansion 1 is under attack" and "opponent 2 has a new expansion" and will issue orders such as "expand", "defend expansion 1", and "attack opponent 2, expansion 2" and the lower level managers will need to take care of the specifics.

As for other parts of the game, the minimap, fog of war, selection rings, building animation, mineral gathering, and several other things are complete. Attacking currently exists only as an internal state in the units - no attack animation is compete. Also the GUI is clearly not done yet, so far all units are created with the hot keys. All the unit settings, such as move speed, build time, cost, hotkey, sight range, attack range, hit points, model, texture, and unit count are stored in text files to make the game easy to play around with and mod to add new units and races. I hope to have a demo out at some point - once I get the attack animations and basic computer player AI working.[href]null[/href]

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2006 09:23
Looking cool, has a kinda Starcraft feel to it IMO, which is no bad thing.

''Stick that in your text and scroll it!.''
Crazy Ninja
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2006 10:18 Edited at: 1st Nov 2006 10:19
i love the style of your models. Defiantly something to keep my eyes on! Good job and good luck!

____ ____ ____ ___ _ _ __ _ _ __ _ _ ____
|___ |--< |--| /__ Y | \| | | \| ___| |--|
Syncaidius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2006 18:30
Impressive work you got there Lower Logic. From what i've read in your post and from those AI examples in code snippets, your AI in this game is going to be amazing.

Hope you acutally get to finish this project, looks great already.

UFO
Years of Service
User Offline
That looks awesome! I love the style. You must have been working hard. It looks like alot of time and effort was put into it. Can't wait for a demo!

Spopovich
Years of Service
User Offline
Nice, I love star craft. Can't wait to see more. Good luck with it.

Do not ask what the forums can do ask what you can do for the forums.
Zotoaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2006 22:19
Look's excelent. Looking forward to seeing more of it. Add some particles and it'll sparkle

lower logic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2006 23:35 Edited at: 19th Nov 2006 23:44
Update on the game:
Multiplayer has been started. Currently it works but things get out of sync quickly as I just send the unit orders between computers.

Computer Player AI is also coming along.

AI levels 3, 5, and 6 are all added, but not finished. The AI can make power plants, make factories, make tanks, expand, attack, retreat, and scout start locations (expansion and general map scouting haven't been implemented yet). Defending hasn't been added yet, so the AI won't know how to protect its base.

Currently the Level 6 AI looks like this:

So you can see from this that the AI's build order is never concretely defined, but rather is guided by the priority system.
The army_size guides out big of an army it should make before it tries to attack, but it is a concentration of damage rather than saying how many units it should attack with.

Other random info about the AI:
- The AI keeps a running estimate of the rate at which it gets minerals, and sends builders to build locations several seconds in advance to save time.
- By calculating how many units it can make in the time it takes to build a power plant, the AI plans when to build power plants such that it doesn't max out its supply.
- The AI calculates the rate at which it can spend minerals, and if that rate is less than the rate at which it gathers minerals, it knows it can build another war factory. So basically the AI can macro a a huge army together pretty quickly.
- When the AI expands, it calculates how long it will be before the new command center is complete and sends workers 13 seconds in advance so it can start making use of the new command center immediately.
- Computer player buildings are currently just randomly placed around the main base, but clustering power plants is planned to be added soon.
- Before the game starts, an algorithm analyzes the locations of all the mineral patches and figures out possible expansion locations. Soon I hope to make an algorithm that analyzes the map for choke points.
- The combat micro works with the help of the pressure map. In the pressure map, each unit exerts a pressure, proportional to its damage, attack range, and other things. When the AI looks at it, it adds the AI player pressure and subtracts the human player pressure. When the resulting pressure is greater than ai(p).army_size, it sends its units to attack. Also, when the pressure gets too low, the AI knows to retreat. When a unit is below a certain health it moves that unit to a safer place in an attempt to save the unit. Any group behavior that currently exists is just what has resulted from the pressure maps. Also, the AI knows how to focus fire, but it is also just the result of each unit considering what other nearby units are attacking.

Here's some screen shots of me against the AI:
http://img518.imageshack.us/img518/2166/game44li5.jpg

http://img296.imageshack.us/img296/8633/game43fn6.jpg

This shows the scout AI:
http://img63.imageshack.us/img63/4214/game41uc3.jpg

The unit micro is currently really slow, bringing the fps down to 25-40, but I hope to make it faster soon.
Xenocythe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2006 23:41
Looking very nice, but high poly. Good luck with this. If this goes multiplayer, you might just be the next Blizzard

Crazy Ninja
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2006 09:47
I have three words for you: YOU ARE AWESOME!

jasonhtml
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Nov 2006 05:57
it looks like an RTS made of play-doh, lol. lookin good

Thread: http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=78971&b=8&p=0
*New Website Coming Soon*
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Nov 2006 07:51
you could create a series of games from this concept.
with each new toy being distributed for young males with war and sides vs mentality, it sure would make a great platform to secure revenue.

I think lee himself contributed to lego mind storm if i recall so if thats not a similar path, I don't know what is.

Xander
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2006 17:14
Number 5 is alive!

Looks great so far, I really like how you're doing the AI. I've been wanting to get back to work on Firewall 2, and AI is what I want to improve a lot for this game. I like your pressure system. I was using a similar system. The main difference is that in my game so far you can only build on predetermined points. So the computer checks what's around these points to see if they need defending or it should go attack them or whatever.

Great job so far, I love seeing RTS games evolve. This might be the one thing that pushes me into working on mine again...

Xander Moser - Bolt Software - Firewall
lower logic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2006 00:33 Edited at: 25th Nov 2006 00:34
Thanks for all the replies.
Xander, I hope you do start working on your game again. The first Firewall was a really fun game and I'm looking forward to the next Firewall.

As for a progress update, I've been working on several parts of the game:
Replays are in the works, but like the multiplayer, they also get out of sync, while it records and simulates all the orders from the original game, the playback often doesn't turn out right.

General map scouting is also partially complete. Once the AI's scout visits all the possible start locations (doesn't take into account island maps yet), the probe will then wander randomly, but with the intent to explore new areas of the map (See the code snippets board for a simpler version of this AI). The next step will be to make the scouts want to scout near expansion locations, which shouldn't be hard to add.

I've optimized various pieces of code so the frame rate is back up to around 60fps in a typical game.

Added various stats such as units created, units killed, units lost, structures constructed, structures razed, structures lost, minerals gathered, and total resources spent.

Next I will implement the AI's memory of enemy units so when new units are created, they can decide where to go. New military units will pick a place (that has a memory of an enemy unit) to head to that is both close to the base and close to its current location, allowing units to defend the base when needed and attack the enemy when it can. I expect I will need to implement a sort of gather point mechanism so units can group together when made before they attack and a way to gauge how many units the group will need before they can attack. Once this is added computer vs computer matches should be more interesting.
lower logic
Years of Service
User Offline
The first alpha release of the rts is available for testing, please check the first post in this thread for where to download it.
UFO
Years of Service
User Offline
Yay!

Bitmap does not exist at line 9143 - right when the loading screen comes up.

The crazy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2006 23:00
Dude, this is awesome! Just played the alpha and it was very well done

Mr Tank
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2006 17:24
This looks great. Love the style of the models, particularly the tripod gun turret thingy. I'll give it a play when i get home.

You'll be able to click on this someday.
Inverted
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2006 17:43
Looks good!

Opposites are different, not wrong

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 18:40:41
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 18:40:41