Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / DarkBasic it is!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Wow, I am so excited now, I have chosen Barkbasic to use for my game instead of Blitz3d. Bark Basic seems to have a better community for help and other fetures. But,anyway I am wondering if I should by the Free world 3d program and the 3d world studio, Does this make it much easier to make terrain? And how would I go about adding the terrain, Just so I can get a feel at what im looking at? Thanks and I am very happy to start using DarkBasic to program!
Daemon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2006 01:21
Welcome to the community. As long as you don't decide to make an MMO as your first program the rest of the community will welcome you too.

I suggest that you buy 3d World Studio. It makes it very easy to make your own objects, and they look good.

Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2006 01:27 Edited at: 4th Nov 2006 01:27
Welcome to the forums!

If i were you i wouldn't buy a 3D editor right away. It would probably be best to try making a game or two first.

as for terrain, you could used "advanced terrain" (should be able to find alot about it by searching the forums)... just make sure you don't use matricies, they run very slowly

[edit] haha, i see we posted at the same time and gave contradicting advice! (well i opened up the window before you posted)

"One man, one lawnmower, plenty of angry groundhogs."
Code Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2006 02:41
Welcome!

I've had Pro for almost a year now, and I haven't needed to buy any 3d world builders yet, because I'm learning 2d first, it's easier.

Listen to Daemon, there is so much experience required in making games that you pretty much have to invest several months working your way up to more complicated programs. I had programmed before, but when I got interested in making games I got DBP one of the first projects I started was my RPG, wow was that a mistake. Now, I have improved enough to actually make a game worth playing. In fact, I'm in the process of writing a tutorial, you'll see it in the forums soon.

Confucius say click the link to become a master game developer.
Sorry, the site was moved, it used to be this:
http://www.dexterity.com/articles/
Daemon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2006 01:19
I just suggested that you buy it just because I thought their might be a bundle pack. I bought DBP and then a month later I bought Cartography Shop. I was annoyed with myself for waisting money by buying them seperatly.

jinzai
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2006 10:22
I agree all around, but...Xenocythe seems to be fairing well, despite going RPG. It can happen, I suppose. I think that strong fiction writing skills seem to translate into something that helps push the coding along.

I actually accelerated my purchasing plan by about 6 months because I was really impressed by how the suite dovetails. I must tell you...any 3D asset generating program will have a substantial learning curve attached to it. It might pay to heed the advice above about waiting. I have DBPro, 3D Canvas Pro, TextureMaker3 Pro, and 3DWS Standard. That's alot right there, I don't care who you are.

On the other hand, I like to use bsp, and 3DWS has no acceptable path to bsp for me yet. If you want to investigate bsp, I suggest you seek out one of the free 3D world editors like gtkRadiant, Quark, etc. I really like Quark and have tons of prefabs that I have done.

As far as models are concerned, you cannot swing a dead cat (sorry Benjamin, et al) without hitting a free model. They come in all flavors and sizes. Oh, wait...stickies. Check the stickies for free media. Also, they are reworking it now, but polycount.com is a free media warehouse.

There is certainly enough free media that you could conceivably get the game done and replace the assets later. Hmmm.

Seriously, I have got to go finish animating the DarkMatter tank as I fear war will be breaking out on my LAN next week.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-25 11:32:36
Your offset time is: 2024-09-25 11:32:36