Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / P5 Glove...

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I am interested in the P5 glove but was wondering if:-

A1) Anyone has this glove already?

A2) If so what have you made of it so far?

B) How do you find the responce of the glove compared to your movements and is it restrictive in respect to distance you are able to use it from the receptor/screen.

C) Would you consider it a beneficial device for games or applications and encourage it's use and developement?

Thanks
1ghz Cel,512 sdram 133,Gf2 MX 400 64,SBL 5.1,Win98
Best Upcoming MMOG - http://WWW.Atriarch.com
Project: Card Game with No Name
MiniMark
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2003 17:03
A) Dont have one yet, waiting for my boss to make a decision.

B) Nothing for games,but we use whats called a didgiglove for realtime animation purposes and it works a treat. Very handy for lip sync and expressions. Cuts down a lot of animation time. Trying to get the p5 as a trainer glove.

C) Dont know about playing games but for games development, especially animation and cut scene it is a big time saver.

If we get one I will repost and let ya know. If it works well, it will be a much cheaper alternative to what we are using. Mind you nothing against the didgiglove, as it's a wonderful tool, especially in the hands of a professional puppeteer.
Matto
Years of Service
User Offline
Interesting.. I am still debating(Hard) whether to buy the P5 glove but the main question I keep asking myself is, would I be throwing away money that could be used on a mid ranged graphics card (see ATI or Nvidia post for particulars on card debate..), in short I am debating getting graphics card under £150(FX 5200/5600 or ATI 9600), so mid to low end you might say.. but it would have to be a low end card (FX 5200) if I was going to buy the P5 glove too, so I have to be sure it's a worth while investment.

MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2003 14:19
The thing you've got to ask yourself is 'it is going to be useful and am I going to use it more than once ?'

Good news everyone! I really am THAT good...
http://www.nickk.nildram.co.uk/ for great plug-ins - oh my, yes!
MiniMark
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2003 18:34
I'd say update your graphics card first. If you intend to write games with support for the glove, first consider how many people will have the glove in the first place. (probably not a lot) If you want it to help with animation and the like once again no point in using realtime animation techniques unless your video card can handle the high end needed by real time animation. I agree with MrAToad. How often do you plan to use it? For the project I am working on we wont use something like this too much but our cohort also do animation for tv/media and that comes in handy. We have two other game projects, two puppetry projects and a stop motion project who will be using the resources for their CG needs. So for us it's beneficial. I have just found out we will be getting one so I will post a follow up when we get it. Dont know the shipping time though.

--Twin P4 Xeon 2.0 Ghz, GeForce Quadro4 XGL 128MB, 1Gb DDR RAM, 19" Flat Screen--
Matto
Years of Service
User Offline
Ah thats good advice guys, and good news for you MiniMark, I look forward to the update on the glove, I am very interested in this as I have always been since the early gloves I saw for the PS1, when I see the glove it points out(punn not intended..) how much more you could add to gaming with a device like this, it's got alot going for it indeed, and I am sure there could be some interesting games made to accomodate this device alone, it's a shame that there is not more public support for the idea than there seems at present, as the glove is a definate step in the right direction, I won't be using for much more than mucking around with and making small programs for it but I am seriously considering buying one for the fun factor amongst other things..

I have decided to get a mid ranged card now but I have squeezed room for this too if I decide to go the distance and order it, it's a shame there are not many more around that have used it or worked with it that can let us know what it's like.

MiniMark
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jul 2003 10:03
Well has taken a while but we finally got our glove several weeks ago. We havent used it for DB programming as of yet but the head of our 3d department is experimenting with it at the moment whilst writing his own applications with the sdk that comes with it. Seems like very good value so far the only consideration i can see to take into account is if you plan on getting one buy a thin glove to wear under it. A few of the guys here played the games that came with it, even had a game of unreal 2003. But after about an hr they complained that there was some rawness of the skin where the finger sensors bend. As I stated our head of 3d has been playing with it mainly and he is integrating it to work with 3ds max5. It's coming along nicely...... Best bit of advice I can give is if you got the spare cash, try it... you may not like it but compared to what we were paying to lease a glove that wasnt even spacial it is a major difference.

There's no u in TEAM, so bugger off!!!
--Twin P4 Xeon 2.0 Ghz, GeForce Quadro4 XGL 128MB, 1Gb DDR RAM, 19" Flat Screen--

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 04:58:23
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 04:58:23