Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Hello again

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I kind of got discouraged a while back from using DBC, and now that I've decided to come back, I'm getting the same thing.

I can do basic things. I completed all of the tutorials that come with DBC, and even a Pong tutorial from the site. I can't say I understood the Pong one, in my opinion that's a little difficult for one of my skill level to attempt.

It has been so long since I've fiddled with DB, that I should probably do the included tutorials again, and I will. But when I complete them (again) where do I go from there?
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2006 06:52
I suggest you try all the commands by making a master examples folder.
as you understand more commands you will be able to challenge more problems.

think about arrays
think about typed arrays
think about 3d space
think about functions
etc.etc.

the more commands you know well will allow you to tackle more problems.

what's your favorite game type?.
do you want to make that game type or something else?.

Jaskel
Years of Service
User Offline
Well, I think a good goal for me to try to reach would be to make (and comprehend making) arcade style 2D games, at least at first. You know, games like Breakout or Joust, etc.
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2006 07:10
ok so you need to plan for it.
get a lined book and write down all your ideas and plan it out.

find out what software you need for each component.

2d

code suppliments

audio

think of ways to manage your media and think of methods that make the game streamlined in the way of execution and speed.

have a look at examples and spend some time thinking about how they achieved the result they came up with and think why did they use that principle or method.

jinzai
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2006 09:27
Jaskel, I wrote alot of 2D stuff for Windows in C. It was really excellent practice. The only real difference is that most of my stuff was straight x/y movement, so there isn't any of the vectors and matrices and vertices to get in your way. You can concentrate on the proper structure of various game types.

FPS games, for example are all about a game loop, and variable states. Windows is like this. It is called an event-driven system.

Simulations are more turn based, and have alot of assets to consider. They are procedural systems for the most part.

It certainly is alot to keep straight at times, but I try to add just one, or two elements at a time. Also, I do try to understand what is going on, but...be a little more tolerant of magic...you don't have to get all of it at one pass. You will miss all of the "a-ha" moments, and they are the best for me. There is really nothing like getting in there, and seeing what is happening.

The math is mostly all based on trigonometry, which I completely ignored in favor of the cutie that sat in front of me. I really regret that on several levels now! Anyway, trig is based on the Pythagorean theorem. If all of that is too much to tackle...DBPro has really insulated you from alot of it, but it does pay to know it, as well. Learn all you can about triangles...I am totally serious about this. It will make more sense to you then. Vectors will be a breeze and matrices will follow. You will have more "a-has", and also it helps you to get to the next level.
Jaskel
Years of Service
User Offline
ugh, trig. I did that last year, and I only vaguely remember any of it. I guess that should tell you how much of it I understood ^^
Grog Grueslayer
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Green Hell
Posted: 5th Nov 2006 23:34
When I started programming long, long ago. I learned by typing in programs that other people made (long before cut-and-paste). The more you use the commands the greater your understanding of those commands (and the easier it is to spot bugs).

Do what indi suggested. Look up arrays in the help files and make a program to experiment with arrays. The first commands you should learn are the core commands... without those we'd all be lost.
Fuzzzy Piggy
Years of Service
User Offline
I bought the book Beginners Guide to DB ( ISBN: 1592000096 ). It's a little basic in places but great primer, starts really simple with some really cool effects from simple stuff like circles and lines. The hardest thing I have to get to grips with in DB, having come from scipted stuff like shell script on Unix, is that in DB everything seems to be happening at once! In shell scripts it's one step at a time, you have complete control over current step and next, but in DB it always feels like it's constantly getting away from you! I am going to persevere as I really love retro games and hope to be able to write some simple remakes. This forum is the nuts, the people are so helpful! Stick at it, it think it;ll be worth it!!!

Common-Sense has been removed from service, due to lack of interest. Thank you for your time.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-25 11:28:07
Your offset time is: 2024-09-25 11:28:07