Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Models and Media / Signs IV is Now Available

Author
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2006 09:43
I never thought about adding the exploding sound.
I'll have to check into that when I get the chance.
Another idea might be to call subscripts...say you press a key and it calls the teleport in script and teleports you somewhere else or something like that.
Since Airslide has gotten a free copy of Signs he might be willing to help you with scripting.He is much better at it then I am.
Back to checking out the scripts...
I think it would be better as well if the user made their own video and then you just imported it into Signs.
Then you could have an overlay on the wall that looks like a monitor and place a transparant sign there with the script to run the video...just an example.
If I think about it I might take a look at the FPSC source code and see how they set up the storyzones.
I am testing the latest signs scripts and the scripts look right but I haven't run them in FPSC yet...I have been trying to clean up my pc a little bit.

Candle_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2006 10:27 Edited at: 18th Nov 2006 10:35
Fred videos will run full size I think no matter what size they are.
When you use the videos you just have to make sure that you give them the codec if they don't have it.
You can use wmv video files and they are a lot smaller then avi's and need no codec for the users to playback on their computer.
Small wmv file I just made so try it out Fred.
Make a storyzone and try the video.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
mrniceguy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2006 17:03 Edited at: 18th Nov 2006 17:04
When using a transparent floor it's oke when I look further. However when looking down I see right through the floor one level down.

Any suggestions how to solve this?

Attachments

tschwarz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2006 18:05
Candle - I'll check on the video, I really like the idea but, I might wait until after the 22nd to add it.

Fred - Now you see what I was up against creating Screens, I think that this would make a great stand-alone program. A point and click scripting system. Yes, everyone can learn how to script but, then everyone could learn how to write an FPS engine in time and since fpsc is a point and click fps engine, I think a point and click scriptig app would be too cool. Everyone that has written scripts know it's a pain, create and then run fpsc and check it, then fix it and run again. etc.... The scripting feature in Signs was to be a cut down version of Screen just to see how people liked it.

mrniceguy - Yes, that is what I get also, now place an entity below like the lava entity. To take it another step, create a room using the transparent hole for the interior wall and use a brick texture for the outside wall. The idea here was so you could see the outside wall through the hole. Now look around, some walls work and some are transparent all the way through. Again place an entity wall behind the ones that show all the way through and it works. For now you need to use an entity behind a transparent wall or floor. I thought it was a culling thing but, then why would it work on some walls?
filya
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2006 18:58
Terry,

while you are making an effort to develop signs into a FPSC swiss-army knife...why not try this. I am sure it will be pretty easy to do and very helpful.

Doors : Let the user choose what kind of door he wants (from a collection of 3-4 normal ones) and he then chooses 2 texture files (1 for the door and 1 for the door frame). And signs creates a door for him?

Just a suggestion.

-- game dev is fun...but taking up too much time --
mrniceguy
Years of Service
User Offline
Terry,

What if a transparant decal is used on the level down floor?
FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2006 22:22 Edited at: 18th Nov 2006 22:23
Quote: " Let the user choose what kind of door he wants "

It would be cool if you could import a door from your FPSC files.

I am not having any luck with the video script as of yet.
I am probably going to have to look at the source code and see how TGC did it.

I was thinking about it and you can call subscripts so you could have a teleporter type overlay on the floor and have a floor or wall sign nearby and with the right script teleport from point a to point b.

I am going to have to lay down for a few since I have been up for too long but when I wake I shall attempt to implement more twisted scripting ideas and see how they work.

tschwarz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2006 23:36
filya - Doors would require door.x with animations, frame and door punch.x Correct?
Candle_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2006 00:03 Edited at: 19th Nov 2006 00:08
Fred Make a sign and have it floor or wall don't matter and over write with this script ( change video name)

To transport just look at the transport script in the scritpbank

filya
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2006 01:46
Terry, wish I knew what the doors would need. Thats the reason I suggested making something like that in Signs.

For now, I just place a door and right-click on it to change the texture. But I had asked this question on the forums to know which files are needed to make a new door.

Locrian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2006 01:53
You need an animated door entity. The TGC ones are 30 frames. 15 for opening and 15 for closing. You need a 'frame mesh'. And you need a 'CSG mesh' which is the punch, slightly bigger then the door and less then the outside dimentions of the frame.

Taking one apart would tell you everything you need to know.

Good luck
Loc
tschwarz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2006 04:20
4.0.6 is available for download which adds the ability to select a video. I can not check to verify your video is in the correct format for fpsc but, I did test with the video Candle uploaded to the forum a few posts back and it worked fine. Remember you can press the esc key during a video to stop it playing. The video script option was Candle's idea.

As always, let me know if it does or doesn't work
Candle_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2006 04:51 Edited at: 19th Nov 2006 04:52
Video part works great.. just what I need to save some time.
pretty soon you will need to have Tab windows to hold it all.

FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2006 10:53 Edited at: 19th Nov 2006 11:03
Where do I find the option to select a video?
I can't seem to find it anywhere.

Never mind...I found it.
But when I updated with 4.06 and selected "no to all" it didn't work.
I selected "no" individually and the update worked fine.
Testing the video script now.

Thraxas
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2006 11:22
Hey Terry,

All my wall problems seem to be sorted now I would also like to say a big thank you for all the extra work you have put into Signs IV since its release... The initial release was fantastic but now it's incredible... I, and I'm sure many others, really appreciate all the extra effort you have put into the program for no extra remuneration...Some of these new features I'm sure you could have made into a separate program... It really is great value for money... So once again a big thank you...

Quote: "But when I updated with 4.06 and selected "no to all" it didn't work.
I selected "no" individually and the update worked fine."

Same for me... no to all didn't work but selecting no individually works...

'Dawn of the Fallen Angel' coming soon(ish)...
Candle_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2006 11:40
Same for me with the say No to each one.

Locrian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2006 01:52
Yeah all info is right. Thanks for the mention.

I take it the 22nd-23rd we'll recieve an email with the downlaod and our code for the final version?

Good luck on this...alot of work there
Loc
tschwarz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2006 03:37
First, I would like to thank everyone for their suggestions, comments, modeling donations, testing and just plain giving me inspiration to keep Signs going. Really BIG thank you goes here. Writing Signs has been a blast because of the immediate results, which all the credit goes to FPSC. What an absolutely fun way to program FPS games.

Secondly, I have just finished adding the ability to add your own custom walls into Signs. This is something that I worked on a little with Locrian awhile back. You can create your own wall meshes and work with them just like the existing walls inside Signs. I am just making sure all the error checking is in place. (I hate apps that give an error and crash out) and then I will create a new install 4.0.7 and upload it to fpscOnline.com

Thirdly, On Nov. 22nd Signs will turn 1 and hopefully it's more mature than it started out as. The official release of Signs IV will be 4.1 and will be posted on fpscOnline.com on the 22nd. If you purchased Signs you were sent a keycode (if I emailed you with registration info and a key code you are set). Once you enter the registration info into Signs then anytime there is a new version you just need to download and install it. This should make it easy on both of us. I was thinking about doing an internet IP to reg code verification but, I didn't like that idea. So, I basically trust you will keep your registration information to yourselves.

and lastly thanks again for your support, both here at the forum and through your emails. I will be updating the manual and trying to fix any problems you guys find until the 22nd.

Terry
filya
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2006 05:01
Terry, congratulations on getting Signs to this level. And a bigger congrats awaits you on the official release day.

Seriously, I wonder if anyone doesnt use it for anything and everything while making games with FPSC!

tschwarz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2006 05:14
I am sure there are some hardcore FPSC users that have to do everything by hand. You know.. the ones that have a bumper sticker that says "I only run Windows because FPSC won't run on Linux"
Locrian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2006 06:17
Come on....every Geek has a comp that runs windows on their network Fear the Penguin!!!!
tschwarz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2006 07:17 Edited at: 20th Nov 2006 18:13
Signs 4.0.7 is now available for download. 4.0.7 adds the ability to use custom made wall meshs in Signs.

As always, please let me know if you discover any problems, or have any suggestions.

Uploaded a new version of 4.0.7a
FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2006 11:37 Edited at: 20th Nov 2006 21:44
The only thing I noticed was when you install it you have to click "no" on each one individually instead of "no to all".

mrniceguy
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi Terry,

Is using a transparant decal in Signs possible?
tschwarz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2006 19:32
Signs will create a transparent fpsc overlay from an image. When creating your image don't add an alpha channel, Signs will create the alpha channel on anything that is solid black(0,0,0).

Attached is a sample image to test with. Just click overlay and then select this image.

Attachments

tschwarz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2006 11:12 Edited at: 22nd Nov 2006 17:44
signs IV is officially available amd for sale at fpscOnline.com. The latest version now fixes a problem with custom walls not getting a 3d icon plus you can now load a wav besides recording your own. The manual has been updated and is available for download separately and in the full install. I'm giving access to the manual for people that would like to see what it does before downloading.

I tested Signs IV on and off all day without problems. But, if you do find any problems then please send me an email. I am hoping that the official forum for Signs will be on Ozark. More on that later.

Have fun, and I'll post some tips and tricks on using Signs IV

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-30 22:25:11
Your offset time is: 2024-09-30 22:25:11