Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Models and Media / Transparency messing with me yet again.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2006 05:46
Before i get yelled at by admins...it involves media im going to be producing in the near future. But i need help with something. Everytime i make an image and try to add transparency to it, the gods must smite it and make the transparency Not work. Sooo if anyone can explain to me how to make alpha masks to images in Adobe Photoshop 7 so it makes overlays transparent, id greatly appreciate it.

P.s. dont say set the background to 0,0,0, i do that everytime, it never works for me o.<

Heres an image of what some things will look like in future pack, if someone can help me lol

Death has no end

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Locrian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2006 06:40
The easiest way to do that image since it has no definite edge would be export it as a png. Take that red layer and remove that black layer(show your gray and white squares behind it) and just save it as a 24bit png. Its as easy as that. No making mask...no screwing with anything. Now if you painted that red on the black layer thats a whole different story and although I'm not going to explain it here, google for a tutorial on removing an image with hair. The techniques used to select around all the hairs will work in this situation as well but is a kind of drawn out process.
Errant AI
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2006 12:38 Edited at: 9th Nov 2006 12:51
If you don't have the layers seperate and you have the plugin to save as a .tga or .dds, Just select-all and copy into an alpha channel...

Then make the image whatever shade of red you want or add another layer, make it dark red and set the layer to "lighten" and tweak the layer strength to something appealing.

It should alpha nicely though you may want to tweak the levels on the alpha layer depending on how opaque you want it.

Otherwise.. Loc's method would be quickest.
filya
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2006 19:01 Edited at: 9th Nov 2006 19:02
okay I had the same problems. I was working on a lantern. I used 2 different images - one for the metal and one for the glass. The glass had an alpha channel with a gray of 50,50,50 (which I thought would make it quite transparent!)

here's how it looks it my game

And since I want the complete glass to be tranparent, not just parts of it, I cant delete of the transparent areas (since that would leave nothing in the image to save) Any help here?

-filya

-- n00b at playing games...and now at making em too :p --

Attachments

rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2006 01:34 Edited at: 10th Nov 2006 09:31
Simplest way is to create an alpha channel in photoshop copy your image into alpha,adjust contrast to suit.The channels are next to the layers pallete. any black/grey areas are now transparent.Save as .dds with 1bit alpha.
If you want me to do some for you, I'd be happy to.
Nice splat btw.

Attachments

Stamina
Years of Service
User Offline
Filya, if you did the alpha channels in Milkshape, I believe they do not transfer when exported. I have tried with no success. The only way to get semi transparency using milkshape is to make the texture using an alpha channel or mask. Hope that helps. Hope the info is correct, it's based on trial and error on my part unless someone else knows a way.
filya
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2006 18:56
@ Stamina, thanks a lot for the reply.
Actually I tried both methods :
1. I made the texture in Milkshape with the transparency and stuff.
2. I made a new texture using Photoshop. It had an alpha channel with a RGB=50,50,50 filled in.

In both cases, the glass doesnt come out transparent in Milkshape

-- n00b at playing games...and now at making em too :p --

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-30 20:27:12
Your offset time is: 2024-09-30 20:27:12