Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Models and Media / Transparency problem with entities

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2006 01:53
I just made a new thread here since I didnt want to hijack another similar one on these forums.

Here's the problem I am facing :

Try as I may, I just cannot get transparency to work with entities. And I am not talking about a pure RGB=000, I am talking about partial transparency using shades of grey.

Just to test various scenarios, I made 3 identical cylindrical entities and used 3 different textures on them.
None of them showed any transparency at all

Can someone please try these entities out for me? (Just place the complete folder in your entity bank for that)

Or better still, if someone can work out how to make this work, could you please email me a .psd file (with all layers separate?) so I know how you did it?

Thanks a lot,

filya

-- n00b at playing games...and now at making em too :p --
Errant AI
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2006 01:58 Edited at: 11th Nov 2006 02:03
Post or email me the files and I can take a look at it.

btw, what format are you saving your maps as?
rabid rabbit
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2006 03:28 Edited at: 11th Nov 2006 03:32
Use Paint.NET http://www.getpaint.net. Make partial trans. texture, save as PNG, load into FPSC

Watch out, this bunny bites...
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2006 04:48 Edited at: 11th Nov 2006 05:14
In photoshop its not layers,but channels that you use for alpha transparency.Remember to flatten your layers before creating a new alpha channel.(You may be applying alpha to only one layer).Save as .dds with 1bit alpha or targa.I find that .dds works best myself.

If you post your files,I also will take a look.Good luck.
filya
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2006 09:19 Edited at: 11th Nov 2006 09:30
Ok, here are the files I used.
You will find 3 folders. The contents are the same except for the .fpe files.
Please let me know whats wrong.

rolfy, yes, thats exactly what I am doing. I have used just 1 layer to keep it simple with 1 alpha channel with different shades of grey. But I have saved as 24 bit png (which I think should save a 8 bit grey value as well!)

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Errant AI
Years of Service
User Offline
Hmm. None of your .PNGs or .DDS files seem to have any alpha in them.

I messed around for a little bit but could only get 1bit alpha to display correctly.

I could get the whole map at 50% alpha to display correctly in preview but it would be invisible in test.

Sorry, Filya. Maybe someone more entity savvy can give you some pointers.
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2006 19:56 Edited at: 11th Nov 2006 20:43
Hi Filya,is this what your looking for?.I'm not sure which part you wanted transparent.

Like errant I didn't see any alpha channels in your files,when exporting png files to retain transparency in photoshop you have to export as transparent image, this is found in the help drop down menu(strange place to have this I know..)If you save gif or png from the files menu you lose all transparency.
I created dds with alpha for you.You can see through back sides because of normals facing wrong way,you can fix this by creating shell for your model,or copy and reduce model a little,and flip normals.Personally I would create my glass as a separate entity and use the fpe and glass textures provided in fpsc,this way your glass would even be breakable.
Hope this helps.

Attachments

filya
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2006 20:44
EAI and rolfy, thanks a lot for your help.

Actually all this time, I have been using the file menu --> 'save for web' and saving as 24 bit png image. I have used this in all my HUDs and get the transparency I have wanted.

And since it was 24 bit, I assumed that meant it stores a 8-bit (256 shades of grey) grey value. So I thought it was just a matter of putting in different shades of grey in the alpha channel and saving it.
But yea, I just noticed, my saved PNGs dont have an alpha channel any more

rolfy, when I used that export as transparent, which option do I use? Cause I feel all 3 options point towards just 1 bit values What if I needed different transparency in a single image? Say a gradient for example? How would I manage that? ( or say maybe just 1 shade of grey, but a 100,100,100 value?)

Also, rolfy, if I do what you said, about the shell...wouldn't it use twice the polys??

Thanks a lot again for your help both of you!

-filya

rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2006 23:37 Edited at: 12th Nov 2006 06:26
Okay,after much farfing around.The transparency does not show up in test but will show in full build.

You create your image with alpha channel and save as 32bit Targa.The fpi uses cubeent.fx inserted,and transparency set to 2.

Attachments

filya
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2006 02:04
wow! this is precisely what I had wanted. Thank you so much for this rolfy!!

So basically to make semi transparent textures :
1. You need to save as a 32-bit image
2. Use shaders in FPSC options

Right? And I can't use semitransparency without these 2 conditions?

I shall try working on various scenarios, but if you do find out, please do let me know.

And thanks so much once again!

-filya

rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2006 06:43 Edited at: 12th Nov 2006 06:55
I'm not sure your 24bit png wouldn't work with this set up,it may well work fine.It seems to be the shader that counts here,also forcing model two sided,which means no need for a shell
Yes your right,exporting from the help menu in photoshop will produce a 1bit value,not what you wanted.
filya
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2006 06:55
Thanks again rolfy! You have been a great help here.

One thing I couldnt figure out was how to save as a 32-bit tga...I can save as a tga..but dont find options for the bits

Also, since shaders are buggy (?) and it would be stupid of me to use shaders just for one small entity, I may skip that for this game.

but this info from you has been very valuable. I'll remember this for future uses.

rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2006 07:03 Edited at: 12th Nov 2006 07:05
When you 'save as'.tga in photoshop,it should ask if you want 16,24,or32bit.You could always cut out the glass faces from the model I guess.Anyway, good luck,and it helps me too.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-30 20:35:19
Your offset time is: 2024-09-30 20:35:19