Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / DGDK.Net What do I get?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2006 16:00
Ok,

First thanks everyone for the warm welcome here. So far everyone has been really helpful when I ask questions.

Basically what I am trying to find out now is, what do I gain or get when I purchase DGDK.Net? I understand I get the Game Development Kit for use with DotNet.

What I am trying to understand is what does it give me over, say just developing directly with Direct X? I am wanting to commit to a technology and I am trying to decide if DGDK.Net is the correct one.

Thanks in advance for any help, advice, etc.!

- Software with a smile!
www.biblerama.com
Mike Johnson
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2006 16:16
The main benefit of purchasing the GDK is that you have a fully built library you can use to develop a game. It has functionality to handle 2D, 3D, sound, networking etc. Using a library such as the GDK can save you a great deal of time - you wont need to spend time learning the underlying complexities of how to get 3D objects on screen etc - instead you can get on with the task of making your game.
biblerama
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2006 20:34

Thanks for the feedback! Basically now I am trying to decided between DGDK.Net and Torque game Engine.

I know with DGDK.Net I would get the ability to write and create my games with .Net. With Torque though, I get more functionality... anyway I am just trying to find out which one to really go with and then start down that path.

- Software with a smile!
www.biblerama.com
Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2006 21:02
I own the Torque engine as well, and from what I've seen it's great for only certain types of games (i.e. 3rd person, FPS, racing). It would be very difficult to, say, make a puzzle game, or a 2D game. DGDK.NET is great in that you can do any type of game conceivable in your head.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-09 04:16:40
Your offset time is: 2024-10-09 04:16:40