Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
hi, i am working on a modern day game and i cant think of a name or a story line, please can someone give me a name and storyline for my game !

upload FPS Creator videos to http://fpscreator.smartvideochannel.com
JohannesM
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2006 18:05 Edited at: 12th Nov 2006 18:06
You are supposed to think about that. I'll get you started. Everyone who replies to this continues with 5 words k?

EXAMPLE: Me: There was a swat team

Trees: Who was investigating a large

Someone else: murder, that had been done...

like that. Ok i shall start.

The USMC was traveling to

----
You can then think of a name.

www.freewebs.com/supahsfpscstuff
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FPSC Multiplayer Games
Posted: 12th Nov 2006 18:29 Edited at: 12th Nov 2006 18:30
a dance club for midgets

@Trees

Quote: "hi, i am working on a modern day game and i cant think of a name or a story line"

How can you be working on a game without a story? I hear this alot, and I can state with near certainty that no game ever started this way was ever finished. Without a story, how would you know when it was done. It's just another reason we see so many "single level demos" but never get the finished game.

Creating the game on paper, before you ever touch the editor, is at least as important, if not more than the game you make in the editor. It's also the part that no one wants to do.

As Andrew Rollings wrote in Game Architecture and Design - Learn the Best Practices for Game Design and Programming, "If you are failing to plan, then you are planning to fail."

Best.

The forum provides a means to hide our true identity. Too bad we always screw up and let it be seen.

Trees
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "How can you be working on a game without a story? I hear this alot, and I can state with near certainty that no game ever started this way was ever finished. Without a story, how would you know when it was done. It's just another reason we see so many "single level demos" but never get the finished game."

ok then, can someone help me with a name

upload FPS Creator videos to http://fpscreator.smartvideochannel.com
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FPSC Multiplayer Games
Posted: 12th Nov 2006 19:03
A trend I see here a lot is that people tend to limit their games to what is available. With the 2 themes built in, it's just too much of a limit. Forget about what you already have and know. Here is a little piece of a paper I am working on. I hope it helps.

Quote: "What kind of game should I make?

In order to design and create a successful game, we need to know what makes a good game, and what players are looking for. Richard Rouse III, Design Director at Surreal Software said it this way;

"It may seem too simple a question to even ask, but determining what players want out of a game is a question all game designers must contemplate if they want to make great games. Further complicating matters, understanding what is enjoyable about a game experience is not knowledge that can be taught; on some level it must be an innate sense that a designer possesses. Designers must have the ability to assess whether something is fun for themselves, combined with the ability to listen to the opinions of others."

I especially like the last sentence. Basically, what is fun and exciting for you will be so for others as well. Why do you buy or play the games you play? While there is a probably a long list of reasons, I'm sure some of them will be:

A challenge
To Socialize
A Dynamic Solitary Experience
Bragging Rights
An Emotional Experience
To Explore
To Fantasize
To Interact

Whatever the reasons, you can bet others are buying and playing the games they do for some of the same ones. Just as a writer does his best work when writing about something familiar to him, so too will you do your best when designing a game that is fun and exciting for you.

Get it in writing.

The old adage concerning a guarantee is also good for game development. Once you have the idea in your head, it's time to get it on paper. How detailed and exacting you make your plan is up to you, but the more descriptive and detailed your plan, the easier you will find it to keep you game on tack and see it to completion."

Start with an idea, something you would both enjoy and know something about. Don't worry about the name, it will probably change as your story develops. If you do it right, by the time you get to the editor, you will be working from a book, and creating your world from the thought you put in it.

Best.

The forum provides a means to hide our true identity. Too bad we always screw up and let it be seen.

Avenging Eagle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2006 20:24
How can you be working on a game and know the genre, but nothing else. General thought-process should have given you a reason to make a modern day game.

Usually, i start by thinking of a situation of setting, e.g. an office. Then i think of a motivation to be in that situation or setting, e.g. To grab some documents. Then i just thinking why i would these things until eventually you end up with a story, e.g. Criminal goes to office to steal documents regarding his friend's prison sentence. With these documents, he breaks into a prison and rescues his friend before going on the run and eventually commiting suicide after his friend is shot by the cops.

See? Simple...

AE

JohannesM
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2006 09:39
cmon. lets help the poor guy out. I know its abit dumb to go asking for a name and storyline but still. lets help him so he can start off with the story and finnish it himself.

indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2006 09:53
foocha bad spelling for future. sorry bad name.

JohannesM
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2006 10:21
wow, indi what are you doing in the fpsc forums?

FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2006 18:56
Quote: "hi, i am working on a modern day game and i cant think of a name or a story line"

I think that maybe you should at least have a rough idea of what kind of game you wish to make before you get started.
Maybe you should make a story/game that you want to play.
That way even if nobody else wants to play it at least you will have fun playing it.
While the name of your game can wait...it's hard to go anywhere without a story.

CLiPs
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2006 19:46
Modern Day hmmmmm

How about a working title like

Not Without My Child

Storyline is your a cuban family and the communist country of Cuba has found out your wife was a freedom fighter and is now a wanted person in Cuba. Fleaing there country the woman and her child have made it to America only that the mother died while traveling to America and child made it to Florida where the Cuban American took in the little child as there own. You as the father want your child back and will go to any means to get him back.

Okay to close to the real sory.......

Hmmm here is another idea

Since this is todays time lets try this as a working title....

Here today gone tomorrow

Your a police officer walking the beat in your local town and all of a sudden you get a call that there is a bank robbery in progress and on your way to the scene of the crime as the seige insues you collect clues to the scene of the crime in order to find out who these criminals are...

Okay to blan for me...

How about World Destruction....
This is a tale of world domination and your a key player in the race to rule the world...

Okay enough scenerios... Hopefully something will spawn in your brain to help you come up with something original as we know mine are not.... But hey one can hope...

Have you downloaded your CLiPs today.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-30 20:33:41
Your offset time is: 2024-09-30 20:33:41