Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Models and Media / Importing UV mapped objects into Gamespace?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2006 07:51
A little worried Gamespace may be a boat in the basement. I model in Modo and do my texture maps there. I've been trying to find a way to use the Modo UV coordinates in Gamespace but so far zero luck. None of the documentation or tutorials mentions doing this so I have a horrible sinking feeling there's no way to import mapped objects. If that's true it's shelfware. The mapping and texturing functions are too basic in Gamespace to be of any real use. Kind of stunned because I haven't had this problem in years. So far I've tried LWO objects and OBJ files. The LWO just give me error messages. The OBJs open fine but it can't seem to find any UV coordinates. What's the point of a game animator that doesn't let you texture? All is seems to be able to do is wrap photo textures. Adequate for rocks but not much more. I guess there's cubic mapping so you could do crates and such but it's primarily a figure animator. Just caught off guard by this issue. There's lots of talk of UV mapping but I didn't realize they were talking about their own homegrown version and that it doesn't seem compatible with anything else. Hoping I'm wrong.
Belseth
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2006 10:30
Well I broke down and got Deep Exploration. Excellent piece of software. Well that got me halfway there but I may have a dead end. Whenever I export from Gamespace the model shows up as white in FPSC. The odd thing is the thumbnail works fine it just doesn't work in the game. I've tried everything. The only texture option I have is TGA since the DDS exporter doesn't seem to work in Gamespace. Just bizzare that it works for the icon but the game engine can't apply the textures.

Well I tried converting models to .X format directly in Deep Exploration for use in FPSC. Absolutley zero luck. As a newcomer to gaming I have to say the single biggest problem is converting models for use in game engines. Every software claims you can do it but I've yet to get it to work with any software so far. I've gone through a lot of softwares and now I'm looking at going back to Blender of all things. I've had some converting trouble in the CG world but nothing like in gaming. I thought Gamspace being dedicated to Gaming would help but not so far. Seems more geared to exporting to engines like Quake 3.
FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2006 18:51
Quote: "The only texture option I have is TGA since the DDS exporter doesn't seem to work in Gamespace."

I think FPSC automatically changes .tga to .dds so no worries there.
I think Keith uses Gamespace.He might drop in to give you a few pointers.I have never used it so I don't know anything about it.
There are a wide variety of converters out there...I even found a mega converter somewhere.
If I can figure out where it is and/or how I found it I will post a link or something.
I use Ultimate Unwrap 3D to convert most of my files to .x although I am sure there are others.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-30 20:28:36
Your offset time is: 2024-09-30 20:28:36