Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / MapScript Editor V1

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2006 19:53 Edited at: 13th Nov 2006 19:57
I made an editor for my Mapping Script, which basically is a script that loads levels into your game. There's a post somewhere in WIP that explains it all, I'll find it in a minute.
[edit]
Here you go:
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=92963&b=8

Anyway, it basically imports models, or you can create primitives, and move them, scale them, rotate them, that kind of stuff. It also supports lights, textures, colors, yeah. Only thing I have left to do is make functionality for alpha mapping and world settings such as ambient light. It also is capable of making object groups, not so you can move lots around, more like something like this: All static objects are group 1, all rigid bodies are group 2, all enemies are group 3 (they dont have to be, that's just what I would do). When you load the level into the game, you can then check if an entity is part of a certain group, so that for example, the enemy chases you and tries to kill you, not the building

It exports as a .txt with the level code, which can be imported into DBPro using the function loadMap(map$) (also can be found in the other thread).

Here's a screen of what it's capable of right now:

I don't have time to upload it tonight, but I can do it by tomorrow.

Enjoy

Drew Cameron
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2006 19:56 Edited at: 13th Nov 2006 20:03
Great work man if I hadn't got my own kit together I'd seriously LOVE a tool like this.

Again, great work Alastair and just from the screen it looks extremely usable!

Drew out.

Zotoaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2006 19:58
Haha, thanks mate

UFO
Years of Service
User Offline
yay. Looks really cool. I will definitely use it once you upload it!

Vampiric
Years of Service
User Offline
please upload i'm dying for a good level editor seeing a world desn't work on my PC

All bow down to evil
Zotoaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2006 22:00
Ok, I just got in. Let me finish the world settings section and I'll upload a demo... or what the hell, I'll upload one now..

Also, since it's not quite finished, you're gonna have to put all your media into the program's folder. Sorry, I'll have it fixed sometime.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
draknir_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2006 22:26
this looks very interesting.. i tried messing with the demo and there are some niggles:

1) it would be nice if you can manually input the numbers into the editor instead of just using the mouse.. i know you can do this in the .txt also, but its easier if you could do it in editor also, know what i mean?

2) at one point i clicked outside of the editor window and it crashed with an array out of bounds error.. i dont know if it was because i clicked or because i happened to be rotating an object at that point in time

3) I didnt understand how to texture an object.. i loaded a texture from file, but i couldnt apply it to an object =/

other than that, it looks like a fine editor, i would definately use this with the map script if these problems are fixed good work so far
Zotoaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2006 23:38
Well, I think it's a little late to make it able to type in numbers, but maybe next time

As far as the second problem's concerned, I have no idea... just make sure you don't click outside the window again, heheh

To texture the object, or ummm, well, here's all the keys that do stuff:
While hovering the mouse over the object:
C Button - Will color the object at the current selected color
R Button - Will set the objects register/type
T Button - Will texture the object with the selected texture
L Button - Will lock/unlock object (making it unselectable.. sorry, but this will clear any texture data it has for it :S)

That's as much as I remember, and pretty sure it's everything. Heheh.

Chris Franklin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2006 11:54
Just got round to using it properly nice work , any updates?

Zotoaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2006 17:33
I might start version 2 since this one if slightly unstable. I also had an idea to how to make it upgradable without having to repost the complete exe with only slight changes. I'll test out that theory, and if it works, I'll make version 2.

Sven B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2006 21:00 Edited at: 1st Dec 2006 16:41
Do you use DarkLights or are they DBP's own shadows?

[edit] I downloaded it so I know now...

It's the programmer's life:
Have a problem, solve the problem, and have a new problem to solve.
draknir_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2006 00:08
when you do v2 please include the manual numbers thing it allows for the precision thats needed to make a level symmetric and/or it makes life easier in general
Zotoaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2006 00:32
I will. I will also make a snap to grid option, and being able to make groups, and all sorta stuff

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 18:35:48
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 18:35:48