Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Models and Media / Red box for Axe

Author
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Nov 2006 01:14 Edited at: 17th Nov 2006 07:57

Now I am particularly useless at modeling (and even worse at texturing, as you can see) but I wanted a 'fire box' to hold the axe that comes with Model Pack 5. I am using Milkshape to create it. I have been trying without much success to add hooks for the axe to 'sit' on while in the box and I was also trying to make glass that you have to smash before you can get the axe out. I made a seperate glass model that you can fit over the top but I wanted to know if it was possible to have the glass incorporated into the model and have that as the only part that smashes.

I was wondering if anyone was willing to help me out. I'm not asking for anyone to do the work for me but if someone was able to look at my model and tell me what is wrong with it and offer suggestions on how to improve it that would be good. If you have the time and inclination to help me, I can email you the file.

Thanks in advance

'Dawn of the Fallen Angel' coming soon(ish)...
filya
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Nov 2006 02:12
Other than the color, it looks fine. Add a little noise to the texture to make it look non-plastic.

As for the glass, no, I dont think you can have part of a model break. Its either non-breakable or completely breakable.

-- n00b at playing games...and now at making em too :p --
Bloodeath 6 6 6
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Nov 2006 05:52
heres a texture i did if you want, i mean its totally cool if you dont want to use it, i dont think mines all that great, but hey, why not

Death has no end

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Thraxas
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2006 04:04 Edited at: 20th Nov 2006 04:05
Thanks bloodeath... I have put your texture onto the box and it looks much better...

I've almost finished doing everything I wanted to do with it. If anyone would like a copy when I've finished it just email me with FPSC as the subject. (obviously only if bloodeath doesn't mind)

Locrian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2006 04:32
I wonder if theres some way you couldn't use the window breaking decal for your deal. I havent looked at it but if theres a will theres a way. Glass already breaks for FPSC so your not re-inventing the wheel here. Be it a custom (insert name of the decal/sprite model here....I had a brain melt down) or whatever. Shouldn't be hard.

Only thing that would make that look better would have been to make a custom wall with the box recessed into it. Good idea though making that the place to grab Jon's axe.
tschwarz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2006 04:51
Thraxas - good job, I like it.
Bloodeath 6 6 6
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2006 05:30 Edited at: 20th Nov 2006 05:31
Id love to see a screeny now
------------
by all means, i made the texture, if you made the model, its all good if ever need any other basic textures email, or post a subject and ill make em for ya

Death has no end
Thraxas
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2006 01:44
Well I changed the model a little bit and added in the hooks although they're not very good:

and I used Bloodeath's texture:

I am still working on smashing glass... I've tried to copy the way TGC have done it with their glass but I just can't seem to get it right...

Well I will send out what I have done so far to those people who have asked for it, unfortunately it doesn't look as good in game as I had hoped. I am still working on it and will, hopefully, release a better version of it in the near future which will include the glass... and also have the hooks textured differently than the rest of the model...

RedneckRambo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2006 03:14
This is pretty cool! You really don't need to make the glass. You can just change the scale of the glass that comes with FPS so it fits in the box perfect. You can do that, right? If not than I guess you have to make the glass.

I have flamable urine.
Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2006 00:51
It looks really good, look forward to the finished article

[href=http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=93081&b=21]
[/href]
Thraxas
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2006 06:40
I changed the way I textured the model so that I could have the hooks different colors and now the box part texture looks stretched around the front and sides...

How do I stop this happening?

kloen
Years of Service
User Offline
it doesn't matter to me if its screwed or not, just post the download.

kloen
Zaibatsu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2006 01:51
could you please post the download?

"If it weren't for monsoor here, this town wouldn't be here, and that kid would never grow up to lie about texas!"
Zaibatsu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2006 07:36
please?

"If it weren't for monsoor here, this town wouldn't be here, and that kid would never grow up to lie about texas!"
kloen
Years of Service
User Offline
come on just post the download pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeZ

kloen
Phlum
Years of Service
User Offline
@Nickydude
Try http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=93081&b=21 for your link.

@Thraxas
The box looks rather cool. As soon as i get Model Pack 5 i'll download it, if it's available after Christmas.

Zaibatsu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2006 20:46
Quote: "As soon as i get Model Pack 5 i'll download it"

he hasn't offered the download yet. but i wish he would.

Thraxas
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2006 23:18 Edited at: 4th Dec 2006 01:03
Quote: "If anyone would like a copy when I've finished it just email me with FPSC as the subject."

Ok, well I have been on holiday so I didn't see people requesting I post the download...

I have been reading a couple of texturing tutorials so I'll try and see if I can get rid of the stretching... Either way I will post a download on Apollo today (bearing in mind I live in Australia this may or may not be tomorrow for you it's 8:15 am for me right now)... This download won't include the glass option as it's not working properly yet but as it's a separate entity adding it later won't be a problem...

This is a WIP and it will change in the future... I know it's not of the quality of most of the freebies put up here... If you download it and thinks it's rubbish, don't bother to tell me unless you have some constructive criticism that I can use to make it better just writing 'This sucks' doesn't help me improve...

[edit] new screenshot... the stretching has now been quick fixed...

Thraxas
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2006 00:51 Edited at: 4th Dec 2006 00:56
Well there are two downloads... this is an executable for people who don't know how to place a custom entity in manually...

Place this on a wall and then position the axe from model pack 5 inside using the arrow and pgup and pgdn keys...

Attachments

Thraxas
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2006 00:55
This is a zip file which contains all the files for people who want to keep their FPSC directory neat and tidy and put it where they like...

Attachments

Phlum
Years of Service
User Offline
@Zaibatsu,
Quote: "As soon as i get Model Pack 5 i'll download it, if it's available after Christmas."

Thraxas:
Thanks! Should come in handy.

-Phlumetoid

[center]
FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2007 01:03
I don't know if you have tried this yet but you might be able to make the glass a separate entity and fit it onto the front of the box.Then if you made the separate glass entity glass by picking the proper material in the .fpe file (I am not sure what number the glass material is off the top of my head) then you should be able to use one of the glass destroy scripts on it.

RedneckRambo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2007 03:41
Quote: "You really don't need to make the glass. You can just change the scale of the glass that comes with FPS so it fits in the box perfect. You can do that, right? If not than I guess you have to make the glass."

That is pretty much what I was saying.

Tiggle Bitties

Thraxas
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2007 06:18
Quote: "Quote: "You really don't need to make the glass. You can just change the scale of the glass that comes with FPS so it fits in the box perfect. You can do that, right? If not than I guess you have to make the glass."
That is pretty much what I was saying."

well I had wanted the glass to read "break glass in case of emergency" but it's just not coming out as planned and so this looks like my only option...

Phlum
Years of Service
User Offline
Make a model that fits in the box, make it see-thru and texture it so it says "Break glass in case of raving lunatic with a chainsaw" or whatever.

-Phlumetoid

[center]
Gamz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2007 01:12
I think your better matched with a shotgun rather than an axe while facing a raving lunatic with a chainsaw, though...

I am a manifestation of your subconscious.
the fps gamer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2007 14:52
Is it for commercial

visit [url/]http://paralyzegames.googlepages.com/[url]
Inverted
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2007 03:20
Uh thraxas,
There is no X file in either of the downloads...

Opposites are different, not wrong
Thraxas
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2007 03:54
Quote: "Uh thraxas,
There is no X file in either of the downloads...
"

You don't need the .x file... I'm fairly certain (but might be completely wrong) that FPSC converts your .x file into a .dbo file and uses that (which is why you need to delete it if you make any changes to your objects)... The downloads both have the .dbo file and so SHOULD work in the engine...

Quote: "Is it for commercial"

If Bloodeath is happy for his texture to be used commercially then yes...

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-01 05:17:57
Your offset time is: 2024-10-01 05:17:57