Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Models and Media / Any way to adjust hit zone?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2006 17:20
I did a lot of searches and read as many posts as I could find but no info so far. I have a nonstandard shaped character and I find the hit zone is in scale about the size of a fist and dead center of the character. I'm curious if setting the character off center in my animation software could help so the brain part is centered? Not sure if it sets it based on an axis center or the center of the mass? Not sure how FPSC sets the hit zone since from the posts I found all say there are no hit boxes or colision zones? I don't mind if only the brain getting hit scores a hit but having to shoot center body is confusing.

I'll post an image so you can see what I'm talking about. The hits score dead center but nowhere else. The model itself works surprisingly well. They even seem to climb up on you when they attack so it's a very creepy effect.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Locrian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2006 22:06
Cause I'm not sure myself on this, But I think I'd do a test. Your right there are no real "hit zones" in FPSC. I'd try making the brain part my center but as a quick test adjust the .fpe to rotate it so it's standing up and down. You may have to adjust the Y axis as well. Doing this will tell you if its a hard code problem in the way FPSC looks at characters. If you can now hit it in the tail or in the brain and hurt it I'd say FPSC produces it's own collision around character models, say in a 10pixil(or whatever it is) by 10 pixil square by how ever high the model is in the world space. If this is the case(since characters that squat can be hit and this is same theroy), you'll more then likely have to adjust your point of origin in your 3d modeling program. Only problem is tail shots and the like would never effect it. I do alot of character models myself, but yet to make one thats not human shaped so I'd be interested in how this turns out for you.

Good Luck
Loc
Belseth
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2006 22:56
Thanks. Kind of sounds like what I thought. I don't mind having the only hit zone being the brain part so that seems the sensible solution to recenter the model. It'll probably function better having it pivot there. I made some changes to the model and had to start over with the textures. I wanted to add some spines to the vertibrae and such. Looks much better and I nearly have the textures back to where this one is. I loaded it into FOSC just to see where the problems were. Actually worked much better than I hoped. Real curious to see it with some animation. I intended to use them strictly for a vent duct part but they are already working well enough I want to add them in other places.

I'll make a post after I try a few things and see what works. I wanted to push the boundaries a bit. I already tried really large and small characters. So long as they are sized in the animation software they work fine. Just have to limit yourself to one level in height, I've done bigger but it can cause problems. Some of the undersized characters work really well. Just funny to see two foot tall characters running around attacking.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-30 22:37:53
Your offset time is: 2024-09-30 22:37:53