Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / A Clockwork Orange

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2002 18:43
Does anyone know how much was cut from last night's C4 showing of A Clockwork Orange ?
Yes, I really am THAT good...
Rose
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2002 21:50
Tell me about it........... I don't see why channel 4 made such a big deal over showing it, and then they cut most of it out!!
MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2002 22:34
Probably have to get the DVD at some point...

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2002 04:03
ya know i'm probably about the only person i know who found that movie boring ...
for years i heard from my dad "oh clockwork orange was banned cuase it was that bad" - i saw it and thought, "what a load of b*****ks!"
suppose you can't please everyone ... but still for such a hype and then the hype about it being unbanned and released. Dunno maybe just overhyped, but then again really don't like those "odd" films - like that head f**k thing on Sci Fi. Just seems all so stupid to me.
Need to watch a good film, like Lock Stock 'n' 2 Smokin' Barrels, now thats a class film

Holy jumping mother of god NOOOO!!!...
MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2002 11:24
Lock, Stock is okay - certainly wouldn't rave over it... More exciting than 2001 though - mind you, most films are more exciting than that.

Next, I want to see Dr Strangelove, 1984 and Faranheight 531

Mirthin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2002 14:37
I have CO on DVD, no cuts. I see how it's hidden meaning is often overlooked, but the general public are fragile. It's individuals like us that are not particularly affected in a negative way after watching such a film.
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2002 14:46
I watched it, I think half the appeal is the language, not the sex or violence - the way they talked just cracked me up, like the weird names they had for their anatomy 'Yarbles' for example . I hate seeing rape scenes though - in fact I sorta hate sex scenes in movies too because they're nothing like real life - most of them are just embarassing.

I'm with you on Lock Stock Vegeta, I did'nt like Snatch as much though, Lock Stock was simply genius. I like most British films though - expecially the Scottish ones like Trainspotting and Shallow Grave.

Van-B
Rose
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2002 16:02
Isn't it funny how our parents were so worried about movies like Clockwork Orange and even The Exorcist, yet when the younger generation watch the same movies we don't seem to be affected (or maybe we are all just more twisted).

Also I usually don't like British movies cause I still love the special effects and the good looking actors, which the US movies do soooo well.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2002 16:52
Yeah Snatch was just... well odd - Brad Pitt with an irish accent thou - that was pricelessly piss poor

I don't think its the fact of being more twisted for the horror films, just we're more closer to reality now.
did anyone see werewolf soldiers? that was a pretty cool short horror - with harry potter (boo!) there are some good effect driven brit films ... hopefully some more good ones on the way. I mean Episode1 (pitty we lost out to episode2 cause the Aussie Dollar is worth bug all ) was pretty nice - althought personally most of the graphics needed better lighting support, if anyone recently saw Dinotopia - which if im' right was like recently shown on SkyOne ... the techniques used in that were outstanding, really shows what you can do with Maya and a $5,000 camera
found out nearly the entire cast was brits, including Lee Evan - now theres a funny guy

however this has to be said, those Vipco Horror videos, if anyone see them - god some of them actually made me feel ill, there is a canabal one where you hear a guy scream to see this chieften just cuts his leg off still dripping starts to eat it... and i know it was all fake, but still looked sick!

probably though cause i really get into my films, anything that happens i tend to feel - so ya know if someone is about to do something stupid i feel ashamed and such ...

Holy jumping mother of god NOOOO!!!...
MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2002 17:39
Its a shame that Kubric didn't keep the books original ending - or at least film two endings.
Whilst the films ending is very dark (theologically speaking), it would have been interesting to see how he would have done the slightly more optomistic ending of the book.

Mind you - it is due for a reimaging - a lot of the scenery/props were very dated.

QuothTheRaven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2002 23:36
Isn't chanel 4 a British thing? Clockwork Orange was banned in Britain when it was released for violence...
MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Oct 2002 00:33
Yes, but it's legal to view now...

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Oct 2002 02:07
Quoth - It wasn't banned, Kubrick withdrew it.

Van-B
MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Oct 2002 02:24
Indeed - apparently there were some copy-cat attacks. I wasn't around at the time, so I can't say if it was true or not.

I think it would have been illegial if it had been shown in a cinema after Kubrick banned it... Most councils would probably try and stop any showing of it.

Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Oct 2002 16:55
Actually, not that much was cut.

Some of the scenes were a little shorter than they originally were - must most of the violence etc is still there.

I have CO on DVD as well.

what is a signature?
MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Oct 2002 22:07
It was certainly suprising that it wasn't cut, especially as C4 has a tendancy to cut Futurama (apparently)

AlecM
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2002 07:42
britian banned a clockwork orange? thats terrible.

I hate it when futurama gets cut, its one of the most abbused shows. here in the states its always taken over by football taking bloody forever. i say end the brodcast when then timeslot ends and run a ticker with the score at the bottom of the screen after the game.

Goto http://www.shellshockede.com
Mirthin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2002 17:15
IMHO, football blows. That must suck, 'cause futurama's a good show.
MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2002 18:23
Indeed it is...

Rose
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2002 00:18
I'm still a big Simpsons fan!
MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2002 02:25
Same here too. Futurama as well, along with Star Trek, Bablyon 5 (before C4 started mucking around with starting times), Farscape and various other programs...

Flashing Blade
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2002 04:07
How are thou, thou globby bottle of of cheap stinking chip oil?
Come and get one in the yarbles, if you have any yarbles, you eunuch jelly though.

CO film is sooooo excellent - Classic film never read book.
2001 book is so very very very good - Classic book never seen film.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 15:23:39
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 15:23:39