Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / how do you get jpg's to work on 3ds models?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I have only been able to get bmp textures to work on 3ds models when importing them into DB. If i use any other texture format DB will not display the texture on the model. Yet DB does support other formats when importing textures directly in to the game, it just doesnt work with 3ds models.

Does anyone know how to get other formats such as jpgs to work with 3ds models? Is this a DB problem or a 3D studio Max one?

thanks
hexGEAR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2003 17:27
had this same problem too, if your 3D object uses just 1 texture why don't u try loading the 3D object, loading the texture and using the texture object command! it might work any suggestions anybody?

everyday of life is a new chapter that has already been fortold but is up to the soul to capture.
Danmatsuma
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2003 06:49
If you mean .jpg textures you've applied in max then make sure they're under 8 characters long and also make sure it's in the same directory as your project, it works fine for me but I'm using db1.13/enhanced.

ZX Spectrum 48k Issue 3, Radio shack Tape drive, Rank arena 12" T.V. set.
MoonSon
Years of Service
User Offline
hmmmm, im sure i did all that, but i'll have another go incase i missed something. My version is db1.13 as well but dont know about the enhanced bit?

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2003 15:38
Have you considered .dds textures? - very nicely compact, perfect for .X models.

I made a custom version of TexConv that lets you replace the textures in any .X model with any texture you like. Maybe you should convert to .X and work that way.

As an example, a 200k image can go as low as 33k, with no loss of quality.

You can pick up the custom TexConv over at RGT, look in the tools forum.

Van-B
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2003 16:16
I struggled until I dropped the filename to 8 characters, then it all worked fine.

DB lets you run the LOAD TEXTURE command on jpegs with long filenames, but when you try to use the texture, it says it doesn't exist.

If anyone has more info on dds textures, I'd love to know more. One thing I have noticed is that they don't seem as clear as the 3DS bmp textures on the DarkMatter CD.

Thanks in advance.
All the Best,
StevieVee
MoonSon
Years of Service
User Offline
ok i found out that the reason why my jpgs were not working is simply because i had a capital letter in the file name! So looks like jpg files need to be less than 8 characters long but also in lowercase.

MoonSon
Years of Service
User Offline
ok i was wrong, for some reason it was still loading up my bmp file, DOH! Now im confused and back to square one.

I dont have any software to texture x models so i want to stick with 3ds models.

Danmatsuma
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Apr 2003 13:17
re-export the .3ds after reloading the .jpg texture in max, I've tested this and believe me .jpgs do work fine on .3ds models in db1.13/enhanced, if it's an issue with pro I can't help though

MoonSon
Years of Service
User Offline
I have exactly the same version as you and i tried what you suggested, but still only bmps work. If i load up the model in 3d max, the jpg texture is there, but in db it seems to only look for bmps.

I cant understand why its working for you??? Do you know what save settings you did for your jpg files?

Danmatsuma
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2003 21:08
Hmm, I think maybe mine was loading a bitmap of the same name too, I made a new file in a seperate directory specifically to test this and it imported to db untextured, like you say.

Here's the solution anyhow, it's only two extra lines of code:

Why not just use a bitmap anyway? jpg compression will seriously mess with any transparencies you might want, as it introduces artifacts at the transitions between 2 colors. VanB's suggestion is a good one also, would load faster as an .x file

Basically though, a bitmap is the most "honest" way to store an image, there is no compression, and the file is organised just like a chunk of memory, it will compress in a rar/zip file, down to about the size of a .jpg if you're worried about distribution

MoonSon
Years of Service
User Offline
ok i'll look into it, thanks for your help!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 08:00:13
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 08:00:13