Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / complete RPG tutorial?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Is there a complete tutorial for an RPG around? By complete, I mean full graphics, models, effects, worldmap, etc. I have seen a few RPG tutorials around but they never get much further than a moving cube or the like.

Any help would be appreciated.
RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2006 16:58 Edited at: 25th Nov 2006 16:59
You obviously havent put any effort into searching for what you want, otherwise you would've found Xenocythe's RPG tutorial for newcommers, and Riidii's open source, community involved MMORPG project.

It sounds like you're looking to find a tutorial that has a complete rpg engine, copy the code into a new project, and then edit it a bit and say its yours. If thats the case, reconcider your choice of hobby, as that is not programming. At all.

Neon Knight
Years of Service
User Offline
Nonono, the problem is that I always get stuck when a tutorial ends, I have absolutely no idea how to finish it off, because my knowledge of Dark Basic is very limited.

And I don't appreciate the rudeness of your response, if you have nothing constructive to say, then don't say anything at all.
RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2006 17:12
The aim of a tutorial is to teach you how to program with the given language its specified for. If you've read an entire tutorial, and then are stuck at the end because you dont understand anything you've read from the tutorial, what am I going to be lead to believe? The only thing I can, as of now, is to think you skimmed through the text and then copied all of the code.

As I said before, those 2 resources I mentioned (id imagine thats constructive, since I provided their names so you can look them up on your own), are extremely well written and documented. Unless you have a learning disability (im not making a joke), theres no reason that either of those resources wouldnt have tought you what you need to know to make your rpg.

There is, however, another problem. You've just joined the community, I could be wrong but 9 times out of 10, that usually means you've just gotten darkbasic as well. If you've just purchased a new programming language you've never used before, do you really think its smart to start off by trying to create a program that, in the real industry, takes years of work from experienced programmers, graphics artists and game designers to complete? I wouldnt say so.

Neon Knight
Years of Service
User Offline
well there you go, you see, you make assumptions.
Okay, I may be new to darkbasic, but I have had experience in programming (Qbasic in particular, which is not that much different to DB) for 9 or so years. And in C++ for about one year. And I've been making nothing BUT games in those languages.

And if I've gone through the whole tutorial, No I didn't "skim through it". I understood it all of the way through, the problem is that I have no idea WHERE to go or how to acheive it.

Try not to make assumptions.
tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2006 18:40 Edited at: 25th Nov 2006 18:44
Let him make assumptions, we're humans after all. With your entrance I'd have thought the same. And with your first reply, Ruccus 'not being constructive', well, he was - he told you two very good recourses, two I didn't want to look at since I want to learn the hard way (best way to learn).

Okay, know what - even though I'm new and haven't written one completed game yet in DB(C), I've started of with an small-scale RPG as first project. I must admit that it's fun, but it's extremely hard - don't think that as starting project you'll be able to pull something off of Diabloesque proportions with only QBASIC experience (well, you probably won't be).

You've got the same experience as I did when I started. QBasic was my other Basic language, and understanding BASIC as a whole will help. I'm still working on my basic engine for my RPG - for almost two months now. Some things that seem easy will be much harder to do.

If you don't know where to go after reading a tutorial (not skimming through), try starting off with something easier. Try doing Pong or something similar (I promise you, it helps). Then, learn how to do world maps, models, texturing ect.

If you can't pull it off yourself, find help, but never do without having something GOOD to show. Any teamrequests with 'I got this idea, please help' will be flamed mercilessly. You might call it harsh, in most cases it's plain realistic. Have an engine ready, a good, advanced one. Show what you've got. Don't ask for help with nothing.

I don't think you'll find something like what you're asking for. Try doing it yourself - that's the whole challenge of programming.

Now, I wish you luck.
Greets,
Rami

tha_rami - the best way to predict the future is to invent it
Neon Knight
Years of Service
User Offline
Now, THAT'S the kind of response I'm looking for. Something that HELPS.

I suppose you are right, I should do it myself, the big problem I have though is the pure knowledge (or lack of) of Darkbasic...which is why I wanted a complete tutorial, because it would demonstrate how to do EVERY aspect there is to writing an RPG.

I have written RPGs in Qbasic, and I know EXACTLY how I would do it the only issue is knowing the actual language well enough.
tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2006 19:35
The best way of learning is doing it. Take a look at those tutorials. Look at what you understand and look at what you do not understand. Try to recreate what you understand in own code - not copying and pasting. Read through the manuals - in DBC, the help files are quite good. Try to expand your knowledge by trying things.

Before this RPG, the best I could was rotating a sphere, I think. Oh wait, I could texture it too! Now, 2 months later, I'm working on a fully functional battle-part for my RPG's engine. When I started, I knew 3 commands. Now I know a lot of them. It's like writing, if you do not know the word you won't learn it by just reading it somewhere. Grab your dictionary, and memorize it.

Okay, being dropped into DarkBASIC could be hard, and intimidating. There are examples on this site, code snippets, tutorials ect. ect. Just grab some and try them. You will learn more from modifying and experimenting with code than with just compiling them.

There's no set number of aspects to an RPG. Do you plan on a realtime RPG, or turnbased combat? Do you want a seperate battle engine? A team? Do you want fully 3D graphics, or top down gameplay? Magic or Melee? Both? The whole fun of programming is getting the program to do what YOU want.

tha_rami - the best way to predict the future is to invent it
Cian Rice
Years of Service
User Offline
There's also the 'small RPG snippet' I'd hardly say that only got to a moving cube. However, this was for an action RPG, I'd just use the search function to find the thread.

tiffer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2006 21:14
Ruccus you little monkey, i missed you during my civilian days. just thought i'd check in on the community .

Cwatson
Neon Knight
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for all of the help, guys.

This is going to be an adventure, of sorts.

I'll be grateful when I succeed.

Dracula
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2006 17:18 Edited at: 2nd Dec 2006 17:20
Just another add to this post. The RPG tutorials with cubes and matrixes are actually pretty good. They don't include models, because if you just load your own .x model and place it the code where the cube character is, you've got your hero. Also, if you create an advanced terrain and color it, you've got your own original outdoor environment. There are a bunch of collision snipits out there that you can use for detecting collision and then make your own conditionals for object interactions and there you go!!! A small game has been created. I admit it's not easy, but it's more fun to do the work yourself. In my case, the modeling is the toughest most time consuming part. But I'd rather make my own models and textures.

Anyway, that's my two cents. And here is a look at my crappy hero, advanced terrain, and a couple objects...

David Gervais
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2006 12:15
I can understand being new to DBPro, I have just started making a new game from scratch. I take it one step at a time,.. make a routine/function, test it.. see what the diff variables affect etc.

but that said, I always start with graphics, making the graphics helps me set my mind in the right mood. having sprites made helps me consider all the ways they can be used,.. with that said, let me toot my own horn...

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=67876&b=1

I ( and a few others) have made lots of free graphics there, enjoy!

Cheers!

P.S. you made my eyes glaze over when you mentionned QBasic. I loved that language, especially with the SVGAQB.lib from Zypher Software (or some name to that effect)
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2006 12:30
Once ive finished my realtime action RPG, Im going to write a lengthy documented book which will identify the aspects to a realtime 3d RPG. late 2007 is the expected date for this hands on tutorial.
there is a video in my post to show what can be achieved, at the moment its only 1 player but multiplayer is another whole subject unto itself.
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=93803&b=8

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-25 13:32:20
Your offset time is: 2024-09-25 13:32:20