Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Models and Media / Weapon re-exporting. paid work.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2006 15:41
Ok, so here's the skinny.

I use maya, and the only .X exporter other than the Microsoft one is polytrans, which I don't have.

Now after a bit of discussion on the Showcase board, I've decided to use my weapons instead of Jon's.

The arrising issue is this. The Maya .x exporter is VERY un-economical, for example, D13 rigged one of my models in Milkshape a while back and exported it for me, it came out at 4mb, but the same model exported from maya (without the biped anims) is 6mb. It's crazy and if you open up the two x files in notepad, the one exported from Maya is about 10,000 lines longer.

This means that most of my weapons are wieghing in at up to 3 times their size, and this is killing My FPS is big gunfights.

I need someone to do 2 jobs for me.

1. Open up my hud.x files for my weapons in Milkshape or 3ds and re-export them as .x files again, hopefully reducing their size.

2. Add a firespot bone to the end of my Vweaps, so that muzzle flash is displayed correctly.

I'll pay whoever does this for their time, but I would stress I would like someone both known in this community and experienced. I'm not about to give out all of my animated weapons to someone who might just Steal them.

Peace.

Butters

Locrian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2006 16:13
Once you open up the .x files again your animations are going to be lost Butter. I wouldn't mind helping ya out on this cause I know exactly what your talking about. Terrys walls for SignIV were like 31kb in some cases and mine were 3kb. I asked um if they were hiding Hoffa in um cause I couldnt figure out why their files were so bloated. If it was just the matter of the FIRESPOT bone in the v weapons, that would be one thing, but I really think you'll have to re-animate all your guns to do what your asking.

If it's to early ,and things arent clicking in my head yet, just let me know. Cause if I'm wrong, I may be of help if you wanted it. I just don't wanna get stuck re-animating 5-6 guns. My project cant take the time hit.

Good luck
Loc
Cut scenes
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2006 16:17
Butters do you have the october sdk for maya 7. Because that is what I use and I'm coming up with files under 1 meg. Just thought this might help.

"People are easier to search when they're dead."--Captain Barbosa
filya
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2006 20:39
butters. I would be willing to do that little work for you for free. It wouldn't really take up too much time to be charging you!

There is the problem of Milkshape not importing .x files with animations though. I mean, it will import the mesh, but the animations (if any) will be lost.

Do let me know if thats okay with you.

-- game dev is fun...but taking up too much time --
FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2006 20:45 Edited at: 26th Nov 2006 20:46
If you want you can send the weapons to me and I will use Ultimate Unwrap 3D to convert them to Milkshape and save the animations and then I can send them to filya to do the rest.
When he's done he can send them back to me and I will convert them back to .x and send them back to you.

Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2006 20:48
that's sounding like a plan. I don't want to seem like I'm messing about, but I have a smg and another pistol to finish animating, then I'll send them over to you Fred. Thanks everyone for the support. I'll be sure to repay people (with models or scripts) for their help.

butters

FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2006 20:50
No problem.
Just e-mail 'em when you get ready.

butyouman
Years of Service
User Offline
Use Metasqua you its free and it opens any file type and exports into x very easy all you do is save it directly to x file

Slipknot Rules
FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2006 01:01
Does it save the animations?

filya
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2006 02:56
Quote: "that's sounding like a plan."

yup, that works great. Send it to Fred who can send the ms3d files to me.

Quote: "Does it save the animations?"

yeah, does it really? then that will be great!

-- game dev is fun...but taking up too much time --

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-30 22:37:58
Your offset time is: 2024-09-30 22:37:58