Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Models and Media / Wall ceiling glitch

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2006 17:57
I found one other post about this but there was no solution given. I'm having a real problem with placing walls on a second floor. They show through on the lower floor. I could live with it but it's causing a nasty texture flicker. Sometimes convex room corners do the same thing. Not sure if there's a fix? I tried to search every keyword I could think of because it must be a common problem but I only found the one reference to the issue. It's obviously two textures fighting for the same space but there's no obvious way to avoid the overlap.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Locrian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2006 18:14
Only fix is to cover sections like that. I see tons of games in the Showcase with the same problem. For the game I'm working on I make stuff to cover these problem areas where they arise. The way we do maps we never have slowdown, so some extra polys to cover these "bleeding" sections is never a problem. Whats happening is that all walls and floors and ceilings are 100 pix by 100 pix, exactly. since both tiles overlap in the bleeding sections it's because your monitor cant decide which texture to show. For some walls and floors you could open up the .x file and make the tile .01 pixils smaller on one side, which seems to offset this allowing only the one tile to show. It's a fine line as to what to do, and most times I place a duct or a pipe infront of the offending section.

Anyways good luck
Loc
Belseth
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2006 18:40
Thanks. I like the idea of the offset. I figured on working around it but some times its hard. The offset may help in those cases. I had a feeling there was something like that. It's kind of a morie pattern so that kind of adjustment should address it.

Thanks again.
FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2006 19:44
Another solution might be to leave a layer in between floors.
For instance,1st floor,empty layer,second floor,etc.
This will prevent the bleeding and allow you to use a separate floor and ceiling as well.
Signs will allow you to create a ceiling for your rooms.
I would create two of the same room.One with a ceiling and one without.
That bleeding is a pain.Maybe it's one of those things that TGC will address sometime down the road.

Belseth
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2006 20:30
Definately planning to leave empty levels where ever I can.

It does seem like something that can be programmed out of FPSC. It should be possible to have it passively create a random .01 offset you mentioned when walls and floors are drawn. The bleed itself is tricker but the flickering is the worst part. Even when the walls and floors have thickness they are trying to take up the same space. Modelling the levels in another software would cure the problem but apparently that causes problems with the physics. Also I'm not sure other than UV mapping if there's anyway to translate mapping information with FPSC? I would love to see support for Mip Mapping. There are plug ins that create them passively and they can really help on big scenes.

I'm having a blast with Signs. Too fast and easy. I can create a wall or floor in under a minute. Just makes it easy to test maps. A big help when you're tiling. I find there's usually something that forms a pattern so you know quick what needs to be adjusted.
filya
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2006 20:32
Quote: "Another solution might be to leave a layer in between floors.
For instance,1st floor,empty layer,second floor,etc."

Can't afford to do that for the Nvidia contest though. If you do that, you shall be limited to 15*15*3 only.

-- game dev is fun...but taking up too much time --
Belseth
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2006 20:41
It's why I was concerned. It forces you to be a bit more creative and make better use of what space you have. One way would be to stagger spaces so hallways and floors aren't directly over each other. It takes some planning but it can be done. Pure realistate won't make the game so it's better to make use of stairs and such to keep it interesting. You can also use things like boxes to break up rooms instead of walls. Be creative with the limitations is the best approach.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-30 22:36:15
Your offset time is: 2024-09-30 22:36:15