Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / can anyone help, please?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2006 17:44
I'm using dbp with advanced terrain. I want to use sky boxes (unless there is a better method?), but I have a collision problem when I use a sky box, since it is an object.

My sky box obj num is 200. Is there a way I can exclude obj num 200, since my char needs to be inside the box, but still have collision with other objects? The way I have it now, I'll have to write a conditional for every object that I want collision with. If I remove the sky box, I can do it all with one conditional. Here is my collision at this time (object 1 is my character and 3 is the terrain):

any help is appreciated!!

D

here is a gander at my WIP:

Noonster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2006 21:59
Dracula,

I'll try to help the best I can, but I'm a bit confused about your question on the sky box's collision; are you enabling collision for the sky box? You really shouldn't, as you don't need to.

I have to guess that you are using the built-in DBPro collision detection, such as SET OBJECT COLLISION ON 200 (since 200 is the object number of your sky box.) If so, just get rid of this command line. I can't think of a reason to run collision detection on the sky box, which brings me to the next question: Is your skybox "fixed" in place?

It sounds as if you are trying to see if your character (or anything else) is colliding with the sky box -- i.e. your character could walk into it. With a sky box (or sky sphere) you should set it to move with your character, within your DO LOOP, such as:

This will create a more realistic illusion of sky and distance.

Most people seem to prefer sky spheres over sky boxes, and I personally have not done a whole lot of experimenting with either one yet. You should do a search in this forum for related threads.

Lastly, why would you test for collision between the terrain and your character? If working properly, your character will always be "colliding" with the terrain -- otherwise, it would fall through (if you incorporated gravity) or walk through the terrain when a slope is encountered.

I hope this helped some. BTW, your screenie looks very good
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2006 02:59 Edited at: 3rd Dec 2006 03:00
set object collision off 200

prefrably have collision and non collision stuff based on media numbers, eg: all collision stuff from 1 to 1000 and all game interfaces that are 3d and special effects and skyboxes non collision stuff from 10000 to 20000

Dracula
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2006 04:13
noonster: thanks for the snipit on making the sky rotate with the character, that will be much better!! I was chacking for collision between the gound and character because there were times when part of the character seemed to "slip" through a little and I was trying to see if I could determine why. The character's Y position is set by using: get terrain gound height.

I will take both of your suggestions and set object collision off 200. I guess I never did that. I didn't turn it on, but I do have collision on for the character, which was making him collide with all world objects.

Thanks again!!!
Noonster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2006 16:37 Edited at: 3rd Dec 2006 16:38
Glad to help

Indi, and others, are going to be able to help you far better than I can on the built-in DBPro collision commands. I use NG Collision which doesn't seem to initialize collision quite the same way.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-25 13:36:48
Your offset time is: 2024-09-25 13:36:48