Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Models and Media / FPS / Polycount Checking Aids:

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2006 18:57
I realize these are very simple items, but I also know that not everyone can pin point an exact poly count without a 120$ plugin. S4 asked me to create some items for checking the load on the engine so we could see what kind of figures were working with in any one particular scene.

So what I've made are 3 walls. 1500 tri's, 3000 tri's, and 6000 tri's. After playing alot of you guys demo games I strongly advise using something like these, or these exact items to pin down your slow down sections( hint hint Dark Faction, *cough*). I realize this isn't a new animated gun but it is of the same importance if not more. Hope these help you, and good luck

Loc

Attachments

Login to view attachments
WuTang
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2006 19:05
Quote: "I strongly advise using something like these, or these exact items to pin down your slow down sections"

So these boxes reduce lag and get you better FPS !?!?!?

Locrian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2006 19:19 Edited at: 2nd Dec 2006 19:28
No, Im not even sure I should answer this cause that was so dumb, I'm having a problem relating to even fathoming that.

Say you have, 26,495 polys on your screen and 3 of the items are Dynamic. You remove one dynamic item and everything seems to run fine. With the loss of the dynamic entity you may decide that the scene now needs a few more items to compensate for the loss. Rather then adding a character or gun which is going to be the most polys in a game but is another dynamic entity, you can keep loading up boxes knowing exactly how far you can push the engine till it starts to slow again. If I can use the 25000 polys 2 of which are dynamic and I can pile in 2 6000 boxes and 1 1500, I now know I can easily place 13,500 more polys in the set and still retain a good frame rate. It's a small tool to help with calculations. Not everyone knows how close they are to the limit of what the engine can handle. This is just a super easy way to know I can go up to 6000 more tries in a scene before I start to bog the game. There's more to making a game then putting media on a map.

It's a tool....no more or less.

EDIT: Mods can actually lock this casue I'm not really feeling like answering questions about it's use. The thread and download is here for those that look up poly count or FPS. The people that get it, are really the only members that concern me. Answering questions about use isn't why I posted it. S4 wanted the tool, and I thought I'd give it away....he told me most wouldn't get, so whats the point. Probably should have listened.
WuTang
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2006 19:28
Oh right that explained it allot better thnx dude so it helps locate the best possiable poly count the engine can handle

rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks loc,I for one could use this.Most of the people using fpsc use the stock or model packs and wouldn't have a clue what the poly count is.This however is really important if your creating custom media.
FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2006 20:27
Nice tool Locrian.Thanks.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-30 22:31:49
Your offset time is: 2024-09-30 22:31:49