Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Models and Media / LightWave and FPSC

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Okay, so say I want to use LightWave 8.0 to make myself a neat model, what would be the smartest, bestest method of getting those models textured and well into FPSC?

For example, a character, say I make a character arms, legs everything the works could I take that character and built all the limbs on that skeleton for milkshape which is available here and could I use the standard moving scripts in FPSC and assign that to that model + skeleton?

I'm hoping someone has a good way of explaining this to me, by the way I still get models untextured (even lose models like a desk or whatever) in FPSC.

Is there anyone who can help out this 32 year old fart? I'm a fossile on the computer, I'm hoping someone can help me out here.

Just a way to convert and retexture my models in FPSC would be a good start, but I'd also love to make my own character since my professional job is actually an animator.

amigacam.net.tc
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2006 00:40
I'm working on a pipeline myself, using LW (though I haven't had too much time lately to do much with it). We have a small budding section (invite only) over at the OG forums if you're interested. We all try to help each other out.

-Keith

DamonV
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2006 01:09 Edited at: 3rd Dec 2006 01:12
Hello,

Ok, right now as far as I can tell you cannot transfer Lightwave files into anything else, nor can you import Lightwave "motion" files into most programs. Your best bet if you want to model in Lightwave is to make the model in Lightwave, and if you can try to rig it to the Milkshape biped. If you want custom animations you will have animate within Milkshape.

The only other solution (the one I have taken) is get your hands on Deep Exploration (a little pricy, so if you don't want to spend much money, this is not an option); which imports the Lightwave scenes, and can export directly to .x(and almost every other format), which have worked great for me.

I have searched google over and this was the only program I was able to find which imports .lws files and exports .x files, so...if you can find another, good luck.

- Damon
transient
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2006 02:22
You can find directX exporters for lightwave here.

If they don't export in a binary compressed dx format (they should) then you'll have to use Fragmotion as an interpreter.

You could also use milkshape, but in only supports one vertex per bone skinning (like HL 1) from what I've seen.

DamonV
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2006 02:38 Edited at: 3rd Dec 2006 02:47
So with the money I spent on Deep Exploration I could have just upgraded to Lightwave 9 and downloaded the plugins from there...hmm, oh well; it shall come in handy anyways.

Thanks for the link transient this might come in handy for more than one person I'm sure.

- Damon
transient
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2006 03:14
You can export to directX with LW8.

Deep Exploration is a good app, you never know when you're going to need to convert a strange file format.

I'm sure you haven't wasted your money.

MiRRoRMaN 64
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanx everyone! This deep exploration I have interest in, would it be like easy to convert with that?

For example:

- Would it change all the textures in to one wrapped texture?
- Could I for example put a human onto the skeleton they made for milkshape? Or is there another easy way to assign the movements from pre-fab characters to my own character?

For easy objects like a lamp or a table:

- Would it work with the textures right away, and not show up white in the compiled exe?
- Is FPSC easy in accepting the objects with their own translator to FPE?

Thanks in advance! I really want to know these things, then I know I can do it with Deep Exploration!

amigacam.net.tc
DamonV
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2006 04:36
1: I don't think so, but multiple textures would work though it as well as it has the option to export the textures with the model, so thats what it'd do.

2: It depends, a milkshape one would not work, as it doesn't directly import ms3d at this moment, there might be a plugin to do so though, I haven't really looked. However you can export from milkshape to a format it can load as well.

3: Yes I'm pretty sure if you use multiple textures it'll work just like any other program, I myself use UV maps so I don't worry too much about that.

4: What do you mean by this?

- Damon

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-01 00:32:51
Your offset time is: 2024-10-01 00:32:51