Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Just discovered/purchased DarkBasic. Questions about what comes in box

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello all:
Walking around in a computer store I discovered DarkBasic (regular version), and I purchased and installed it. The outside of the box says that it includes 600 textures, 900 3D models, etc. These things are not included as far as I can tell. I made sure I installed the DEMO DARKMATTER DEMO from the disk, but still, where are the models?
Also, looking for patches for the program on the DarkBasic website, I found that the last patch is Version 1.13 (my box contained v1.12). Should I upgrade? What about taking this box back to Microcenter for a refund and purchasing DarkMatter Pro. Is the Pro version much better? I'm just a beginner with a bit of BASIC programming background from long ago. Any advice will be appreciated.
Tnx,
Huertaaj
lower logic
Years of Service
User Offline
If you can I'd definately return Dark Basic and buy Dark Basic Pro. The original Dark Basic is quite a bit dated and is not being updated anymore.

As for patching/upgrading, I always download the latest update to any TGC product, as updates/patches/upgrades usually contain bug fixes and sometimes new features.

The only time you'd hesitate to install the latest update is when you're working on a really large game, as sometimes the functionality of some commands change slightly, and a newer patch might not compile or run the game correctly (meaning you'd either have to figure out why it doesnt work with the newer patch, or reinstall to the last patch).
Code Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2006 20:02
Anything you can do in Dark Basic you can do in Dark Basic Pro. Pro has a lot more features, is constantly being updated, and the EXEs it makes are a lot faster than Dark Basic.

I would definitly by Pro, it's so much better.

Inverted
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2006 23:56
Pro is not any harder than the normal version, its got alot more functions, easier interface, its a whole lot better, its being updated with a butt load of plugins to!
Get one of the uber packs from TGC website with DBP, and alot of the plugins fora couple hundred bucks, their worth it!

Opposites are different, not wrong
Latch
Years of Service
User Offline
If you installed everything, there should be a directory something like:

~Program Files\Dark Basic Software\Dark Basic\media

on the hard drive you installed DarkBASIC on. Inside the media folder should be all of the sounds, music, models, and bitmaps.

Enjoy your day.
D Ogre
Years of Service
User Offline
Yes, I would upgrade to version 1.13. That is the last and latest patch
for DarkBASIC Classic. Like everyone had already said, you might want to
upgrade to Professional. For now you can get familar with the language
using Classic. The commands set for it is very similar except Pro has more
to offer.
huertaaj
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks everyone for your great comments. I'm excited enough about this stuff that I went ahead and purchased the following...

1) DarkBasic Pro (download version)
2) FPS Creator (download version)
3) Nuclear Glory collision DLL (downloaded)
4) 3D World Studio Builder Edition (Shipped via snail mail but I also got an email saying that I can download 3D World Early Adopter(3.9 MB), somewhat confusing)

I am going to need some help from you in the near future. I'm a professor of Botany at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio and use 3DS Max 8 (using it ever since 3D Studio V1), to make 3D animations that I use very succesfully for teaching. My reason to purchase DarkBasic software is to make interactive biology/botany-oriented simulations for my students to visualize what I'm trying to teach them. I'm sure I'll be asking for lots of support here and hopefully some of you will be kind enough to help me when I get stuck.
Sincerely,
huertaaj

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-25 13:37:43
Your offset time is: 2024-09-25 13:37:43