Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Models and Media / Tank with turret that rotates and shoots rockets

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2006 21:41
Well, it took a little bit of playing with, but I got a tank in game, and made it so it rotates it's turret at the player, and shoots rockets at you.

I'm going to apply this technique to create boss characters...

Check out the little video, and tell me what you think. If it's something that people wanna be able to do, I'll put up a tutorial.

I'm currently making an automated gun turret with the same method, you'll be able to activate it via a switch and it'll kill anything that comes near it... including you!

Comments and crit.

Butters

PS, I know the tank model is pants. I spent about 30 mins on it tops. I didn't want to spend hours on it incase the script/FPSC side of things didn't work. Now I know that it does, I'm gonna have to start working on a decent tank model.....

Attachments

Login to view attachments
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey!,that just rocks!.Please do post a tutorial on this it has a great many possibilities,the vid is a little dark to see exactly what is going on at times,but still is a decent example,and I want it,please!
Unknown Truth
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2006 21:55
Very neat. I would love to have a tutorial on how to do it. Is it 2 entities or 1? Love the explode decal too.

The truth is still unknown... or is it!
Screwed Over
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2006 22:03
wow! is there anything u cant do butters!!! only thing i can syggest is change the explosion a bit, it looks a bit fake to me, but other than that awesome work!

Locrian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2006 22:06
Can you still see in the SinninSoul threads on my site Butter?.....I'ma have to check your access there bud.

hehe...nice tank....we had plans for a ceiling mounted turret but the tank rocks. The animated shells is something we never considered.

I wanna say also that I wish you good luck in the Nvidia Compo. As it stands I belive were droping out. I think S4 and I were one of the few doing these kinds of expantions to fpsc, so that should help you out. Were droping casue were not really willing to make our game conform to thier standards. Our first section is longer and thinner and we don't feel a need to change for a contest. So I think I can say from both of us, we hope you take it.
bob momento
Years of Service
User Offline
nice ... i love the animation. Hey can u email me that song u used in the video though, it's real cool.
-Bobmomento

"Sharp like blades"
filya
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2006 23:46 Edited at: 4th Dec 2006 23:47
butters!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
1. you have great imagination and skill
2. you have great faith in what FPSC can do
3. you damn well know how to combine the first 2 points

keep up the great work!

edit: can't wait for the tutorial

-- game dev is fun...but taking up too much time --
C_Coffie
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2006 00:03
Hey Butters can the tank move to or just the turret. (i want it to follow some waypoints) and also i would like the tutorial to plz.

Candle_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2006 00:07
Good job Butters, I knew if anyone could do it you could.
Luke314pi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2006 00:20
Holy crap on a stick Butters that is awesome! I would love a tutorial on how to do that!

Zaibatsu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2006 00:25
Quote: "PS, I know the tank model is pants"

is that an english slang thing? cuase i've never heard it before...

that look cool.

"If it weren't for monsoor here, this town wouldn't be here, and that kid would never grow up to lie about texas!"
s4real
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Yeah nice work there butters again, well loc said it all in his reply so keep it up.

Best

Im a wizz at texturing toilets
Silent Thunder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2006 01:25
nice work butters!

Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2006 02:01
Rolfy, candle, silent thunder.

Cheers guys.

Quote: "Is it 2 entities or 1"

Its 2. Originally I thought that I could rig the tank so that the entire turret was rigged to the "head" bone. Then I could use the rotatehead command in the scripts to rotate just the turret to the player. Thing is, there's only a rotatehead command, and not a rotateheadtotarget command, so I could only make the turret rotate around wildly.

Then split it up as 2 entities ( the tank itself and the turret), and made a firespot bone at the end of the barrel of the turret.
created 2 new entities, both characters, using the meshes. The bottom script was scripted static in the video. The turret uses regular enemy FPI's ,static and shoot.

Final part, I created a new weapon in the gamecore. Used the LAW as a template, except I made the Vweap a tiny transparent cube. Called the gun "tankturret"

Back to the editor and set the turrets weapon as the new "tankturret" weapon. In game the invisible VWEap file is attached to the very end of the barrel, this is where the missiles "shoot" from.
it's not an animation, that tank has an actual weapon, that you can tweak the stats of...

This means incredible things. That tank could have a huge mortar on it, and the weapon could be configured (through the gun and flak spec) to fire like mortar shells. YAY.

Hope that helps clear up how it's done... I'm gonna be writing a few tutorials on how to do some "advanced?" stuff, so don't worry if you didn't get it... It'll be clearer soon!
Quote: "
only thing i can syggest is change the explosion a bit, it looks a bit fake to me, but other than that awesome work!"

Yeah I know, I took out the transparency from it and now it looks rubbish...

..oh and yeah... pants is a UK thing for "not very good", it's a bit out-dated, but there's the AUP to think of.

(is it AUP, I can't remember)

TJR Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2006 22:19
Butter fingers, is that a script? If it is can u post the script or somthin' so we also can make bosses for our games?
Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2006 00:56
Honestly, I don't think Butters should post it - make people figure it out for themselves So why do I post scripts?

Locrian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2006 03:12
Yeah persoanlly I wouldn't post anything untill after the compo myself. Never know which one of these forum lurkers is pro modeler that heard of the Nvidia contest, and comes here and designs a game using your scripts but his media and levels far exceeds yours. That would kinda blow. I just don't post case I genneraly loath people(j/k )
bond1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2006 04:36 Edited at: 7th Dec 2006 04:37
Very clever! It just goes to show that FPSC actually IS capable of many things, you just need a good imagination, some know-how, and intelligence...

Who says FPSC can't have boss characters (besides the typical human characters), Butterfingers just proved you can do it with a little brute force.

----------------------------------------
"Your mom goes to college."
My FPSC stuff at http://www.hyrumark.com
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2006 07:17 Edited at: 7th Dec 2006 07:39
I would have to agree with Airslide/Locrian's post above,if you are entering the nvidia competition,keep it to yourself.I dont see it as a problem all the same as permission is required from the author to use scripts you haven't created yourself.

You do however set a very good example of what forums like this should be about,which is a sharing of ideas.If everybody were to keep things to themselves all the time,then there would be no point to a forum in the first place.

I can understand Locrian's view on this,but I think the main problem here is that the bulk of users of fpsc are kids or like myself have no real experience of scripting and coding for games.I got into this as a hobby myself and therefore have no real attachments to any work I do for it,so I feel free to give away anything I create for it.

There are in fact very few people here who have all the skills needed to produce a quality commercial product,but from what I have seen if they were to get together you would have some kick ass games as a result.Thus the sharing of ideas and product is definately the way forward for FPSC.
Caleb5316
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi Butter Fingers,

please have a look at this 3D model of the Russian T-80 tank that I'm in the process of finishing up. It would be real cool to have it animated and rolling around the battlefield and spouting fire!
Do you think it would be possible? Also, would it be possible to animate the tracks whenever the tank moves?
Cheers,

Caleb

Attachments

Login to view attachments
GeoNeo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2006 14:24
as always.. GREAT JOB!!!

GeoNeo

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-01 00:47:16