Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I am using Game Space Light and i have just started modeling and am wondering how do you know if something you make is too big or not? when i try to make things I usually make them big so i can see everything im doing but how do i know if it will be to big in fpsc or not?
Zaibatsu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2006 06:00
if it is too big in fpsc, you can just adjust the scale on the fpe file.

"If it weren't for monsoor here, this town wouldn't be here, and that kid would never grow up to lie about texas!"
code65
Years of Service
User Offline
ok thanks
code65
Years of Service
User Offline
also if anyone has any tips on making arms/hands i would be great full , I am not asking for a hand out or anything, justa tip or tutorial, i did do a search but only found 1 for milkshape, but i would rather have a tip to get started more thena a tutorial as this is something i would like to learn on my own
Zaibatsu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2006 06:14
i would recomend making five boxes for fingers and shaping it from there.

"If it weren't for monsoor here, this town wouldn't be here, and that kid would never grow up to lie about texas!"
code65
Years of Service
User Offline
k thanks
code65
Years of Service
User Offline
i went on the Game space forums and ask the same question and 1 person said

"I haven't tried FPS Creator so can't comment in detail. Sounds more like a question to ask the folks over on FPS Creator, since it sounds like it is related to how that engine displays things rather than how things are modeled.

gameSpace will let you model guns, hands, whole characters, etc, but no point in doing that until you know how the engine you will export to is going to work.

For instancem in an FPS, being from the first person view then all you see is the gun, you don't see your own character. Now it depends on how FPS Creator works on how you would get round that. Maybe it supports having a character along with the gun, in which case you would model the character (or arms and hands at least) and probably use something like placeholder objects that define where the gun attaches (this is a standard approach for attaching changeable weapons to characters).

However maybe FPS Creator, since it is specifically for First Person shooters, has no support for a character body at all. In that case what you might be able to do is simply model the gun AND hand / arm as the weapon. This would make it unlikely you could do things like the "idle" animations seen in some games (where they check the gun, or polish it, etc, if you stand still for too long) since the hand would then be "welded" to the gun.

How you go about modeling this gun / hand model depends again on what FPS Creator expects. If it can handle glued hierarchies, then that means you can model gun and hand separately, then glue them together, and export. Ideal for reusing the same hand in your various weapon models.

If they have to be all one mesh, not a hierarchy, then it would become a very tricky modeling task, and you would at that point have to consider just letting the gun float in the air without an arm / hand as it would be a complex modeling and texturing task to model a gun and hand as one mesh (not to mention you'd have to remodel the hand for every weapon, as you couldn't just re-use it like you did if it uses hierarchies).

So, since what you can do for this is driven by what the FPS Creator software expects and can do, I'd begin by asking them and posing the question on their forums. With that info in hand, then you can ask the gS people here how you would go about such a solution using gS"

i dont fully understand what i should ask here so i thought it would be best just to post his reply, the kind of hand/arm i want to make isnt one thats stuck to the gun as i have no clue how to model a gun yet but one that will just pick up any gun i put and it will show in hand
Locrian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2006 18:57
Guns and hands are 2 differant meshes exported to the same x file. Matter a fact, even the gun can have several parts 'parented' to it like slide parented to frame/hammer parented to frame etc.

The way I do it is model the gun alone. This I consider my base and all of these parented items like the frame/slide/hammer/magazine/shell/sights etc are on one uvmap.

The hands I model seperately.

I make a copy of my gun and import my hands and do my animations. Now when I export the maps have to be exported as Multi/sub object so the the information of 2 or more maps is compiled in the .x file.

You cant really make a body for fpsc and get it to look right. Hands are something that have recently been being added by members and Jons M5 pack shows this progression.

The best persons guns on the forums is without a dought, Errant's, who is a professional modeler with games you may have played.

As far as knowing if something is to big or not, I suggest converting and importing one of the HUD.x files from any gun thats of similar shape to what your trying to achive. Use this model as a gauge for your mesh. Know that the fpsc segments are 100 pixils by 100 pixils. After answering another question recently I know that 100 pixils is 8'4" in real world measurements.

Hope this answers a few questions and good luck.
Loc
code65
Years of Service
User Offline
so I cant really add hands to the guns fps comes with i would have to model my own?
Locrian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2006 21:55
You can add hands to FPSC guns...You'll have to re-animate the gun mesh along with the hands mesh you provide though. You can't super impose one over the other if thats what your asking. Or you cant take say Jons hands that have no gun and expect them to hold a gun somehow.
code65
Years of Service
User Offline
im thinking hands are a little more trouble then there worth =P mainly since im just starting i think i will start with smaller stuff and work my way up
Locrian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2006 22:04
Hands are a huge deal. And Errant just upped the bar by miles by posting videos of hands that are fully boned and animated. So anyone that can do the work is already only using M5 as place holders and for legaly useable sounds.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-01 00:40:10
Your offset time is: 2024-10-01 00:40:10