Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Models and Media / Russian T-80U tank

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Folks,

I've posted this before but got now reactions...
So, just to give you a quick glimpse of what I have in mind, check out this new 3D model of the Russian T-80U tank. The original model was rather detailed and consisting in too many polys (13k!), so I reduced it to about 6000 which should still be acceptable for FPSC.
It would be real cool to use it in a game as an active entity moving around and spouting fire...huh?
Maybe our comrade Butters Fingers could help out with his new killer scripts? Do you know if it would be possible to animate the tracks/wheels when it's moving?
Cheers,

Caleb

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Linik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2006 15:32
looks good, it would look even better if you added realistic camo to it, like the desert camo, the way you leave it now it could go good in a sarges heros game

www.futurecast.co.nr
we know the true meaning of old style games!
ZAKU
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi C,
Is this screenshot from the 13k one or the 6 k one,it looks good , but you have waaaaaayyyyy too many wasted poly's everywhere.
Try to optimize your mesh as far as possible,cylinders,especially those on the rear of the tank do not need to be nearly as high poly as this render suggests.
Also , spending poly's on the reactive armour on the front etc,can simply be done by texturing alone and need not be actualy geometry.
When I get home,I'm currently on vacation , I'll upload a challenger tank I did for a BF 2 mod,its strenght is the fact that is only 2500 poly's and very light in geometry.

The model is very nice though.

Locrian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2006 16:15
6000 may still be a bit high. You really wanna stay at 3000 max and thats saying thats like a boss(since the highest character is like 2300). You have to remember that FPSC looking in certain directions, will be trying to render things behind walls also. It's such a file line trying to work the engine for every frame per second you can.

As for butter giving out the script, I personaly wouldn't count on anything till after the contest. You have to remember theres quite a lot on the line for those entering this. I personaly emplore Butter not to release this yet. I believe this would be foolish to do so.

The way Butter made his tank I doubt you'd be able to get it to move. The base almost traps the turret from moving. The turret is basically a character placed in a mesh that keeps it from "walking". To get both the top and the bottom meshs to move at the same time and the same direction would be quite a feat and if you look at Butters vid you see that only the turret rotates as if the tank is 'parked' and rotating to fire on the player.

Good luck on this.
Loc
Caleb5316
Years of Service
User Offline
Gents,

thanks a lot for your input, in fact I am still busy re-skinning the model to bring the polycount to an acceptable level, but the question is how high can it get, in other words, are there 'hard' limits set on the number of polys for FPSC models or does it rather depend on your CPU and RAM?
This new screenshot is the model with roughly 6K polys; no big changes in fact it's just the surface that got a little 'rougher' in some spots but indeed it could be simplified even further, so let's see what I can do, maybe I can bring it down to 4k.
As for using it in a game I agree that with the scripts it might be hard unless it's only the turret that moves around. There's indeed much more to dealing with vehicles since the physics all have to go together, and FPSC does not yet incorporate vehicle entities as we would like but who knows what the future might bring?
In the meanwhile I will probably be using the tank as a static object just to make the scenery more 'interesting'. The idea is to use it in a game about the Spetsnaz special forces battling rebels in Chechnya and in other parts of Russia. I am also developing a host of new characters and weapons for this game so I hope it comes along as planned.
Regards,

Caleb

Attachments

Login to view attachments
butyouman
Years of Service
User Offline
Is that a mac i see because if it is i hate macs and it looks like you loaded windows on it wow nonononononononon if you wanted a windoes pc witch i dont no if it is o well if u wanted windoes just get a noraml pc in my opinion macs suck.

But good job on the tank.

Slipknot Rules
Candle_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2006 00:11
butyouman, lets the Developer use what they want to make their stuff.
Mac's are a very good computer and they are far better when it comes to graphics then windows.
All that matters is that it works and does what you want.

Silent Thunder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2006 00:20
nice tank!

Get my Mega Segment Pack for free, be one of the first 5 to post
butyouman
Years of Service
User Offline
Ok i guess i am just hate macs because my last 1 was like one of the moniter 1s and i ended up buring it with my friedn kevin.

Slipknot Rules

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-01 00:29:29
Your offset time is: 2024-10-01 00:29:29