Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Scanning 2-D Artwork for 3-D Modeling ??? Please Help

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
My Son and i are entirely new to the whole world of game development. He is only 12 years old but is a very talented child and has some very imaginative ideas and wonderful artwork. His dream is to develop a game of his own and we are investigating the possibilities in Dark Basic. We would like to bring some of his 2-D drawings into a program that will allow us to develop them into 3-D models and then eventually animate them. Is this possible with D.B ? Do you have any suggestions ? We aren't even sure we are starting at the right place. Thank you so much for any help you can provide !
koolaid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2003 14:21
well im fairly new still but ive been picking up knowledge here and there well 2d artwork cant be 3d models youm would have to make your own 3d model in a modeling program 2d stuff is used for textures,sprites(on screen images like maps,health bars)but if hes good with art and dsigning it will be easy to turn those drawings into 3d models.
Redostrike
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2003 15:41 Edited at: 27th Apr 2003 15:57
You dont make your models in DB you need to have a 3D modeling program for it. Like koolaid said. I recommend milkshape 3D because the price not to much and its easy to learn. You use DB to program the game. To make the model move.

Hope this helps and hope your boy makes his dream come trugh.

Only heroes live forever.

The StartStrike project is going good.
Kentaree
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2003 15:44
One method is to use the program Milkshape 3D. You scan in the images, and you put them as background pictures in the program so you can use it as a template of how the model will look. Once the picture is in the background, vertices can be put on the image to create polys on the corresponding places. If you go to http://www.swissquake.ch/chumbalum-soft/ms3d/download.html you can download a 30-day trial of Milkshape 3D or purchase it for $20. The site also links to a few tutorials that cover construction 3D models from 2D images.

Whatever I did I didn't do it!
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2003 20:00
One use of 2D artwork is for backdrops. I realise that you are probably talking about characters, but a good backdrop can make or break a game.

Thanks in advance.
All the Best,
StevieVee
dreemoracle
Years of Service
User Offline
Thank you all for your helpful responses. We will check out the links and suggestions you have provided. God Bless You !

Dreemoracle & Dad

Megaman Zero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2003 22:57
Well, there is a way to turn 2 2d pictures into a 3d model, but the program to do it with, costs about $2000+ USD & I dont think you would want to pay that ammount of money to make a model.

What I would do, would be to make a 3d model in Milkshape 3D(MS3D), & then skin it with a few pictures.

Modeling is very tideous at first, so it takes time to fully understand to where you can make good models.

My strong point is modeling, and I cant make very good skins from scratch.

Probably, the hardest aspect of modeling is skinning, & it can take numerous tries to get a skin to work, the way you want it to work. The UV mapping isnt the easiest of tasks, as you will have to get the outlinning box almost perfect to get favorable results.

The other killer is the bones, when you use them. Milkshape 3D requires bones to be in place, but once they are in, & all of the model vertixs are assigned to the bones, its easy to make the animations.

P.S. I dont remember what the program was that you could take 2 2d pics & make 1 3d model, & I dont remember the website either, look it up on google or something.

indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2003 08:00
you could by hand using primitives and limbs create the object by code but its not as flexible as say using milkshape and the internal background image visualisation feature it has when aligning vertices to the shape of the background image.

puffing a 3d look into it may take a bit of fiddly work but its possible.

Rollit
Years of Service
User Offline
there is some way to make 3d shapes from simply 2d drawings but it only works for basic stuff....

for example with text... there is some cheap software around like from Corel or more expensive ones like "maya2 and "3dmax" or inbetween like "eovia carrara"... you can import 2D paths (like from Illustrator- Adobe) and extrude them into 3d shapes... really you only get the profile with added thikness... this is ok for ceratain 3d elements.... but not really good if you need more organic shapes like humans etc..

still you can make full use of your son drawing skills by using is artwork for backdrops... textures... etc...

also one common technic to create 3d-models (like faces or cars) is to draw the front, the side and the back of a car on paper

use a scanner to scan these images...

then apply these images each to a flat poligon face so that you have 3 planes each texture with one of your images

then create new poligons using your drawings as backgrounds, a bit like when you put a semi transparent paper on top of an image and with a pen you copy the underlying image...

yes some work to do, but you and your son will feel very satisfied when you will see your first model finished on screen.....

then use DB to make a game!... well not that quick, but surely good target to aim for

good luck

indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2003 19:25
that reminds me of teddy2 a japanese students java project where it creates a simple 3d shape from a 2d shape u design

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 05:25:47
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 05:25:47