Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / How do you make a stand alone exe?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I know this is propobly the newbiest question ever but i looked everywere and couldnt find out. what i want to do it make a project i make in dark basic pro into an exe that i can run on any computer. os how can i do it? help plz
GMan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2006 02:20
Just find the executable on your computer.

Everytime you hit F5 in the compiler it saves the .exe somewhere. If your using a 'blank project' then the .exe will be saved into the 'temp' folder in your DBPro directory. If you have made a project then the .exe will be in your project folder. This executable will run on any computer. If you have any media included in your application you must make sure it is in the proper folder on the other computer as well.

The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world.
Josh226
Years of Service
User Offline
So if i wanted to send my friend it i sould zip the folder its it? Will it work properly on his computer if i do that(he doesnt have dark basic)?
Scorpyo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2006 21:20
Nope, It's called exe with attached media.
Open the project and in the Settings tab select EXE with attached media, after that you must include the medias, therefore click on media tab and enclose all your media with the Add button, by browsing to them.
The path structure will be preserved, therefore it's best that you have your full project and media all in one folder. You still can have the bdpro and dba in the main folder and all the media in a media or whatever subfolder, and the media folder can have subfolders too , like objects, terrains, textures , sounds, etc..
Make sure you add all those with the Add function.

cheers
P.S. I normally work with a clone copy of the project in a different folder from the original in case i mess things up
Josh226
Years of Service
User Offline
ok thanks for all the help
Grog Grueslayer
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Green Hell
Posted: 10th Dec 2006 13:56
If you don't want to attach all the media to the .exe you can just make a directory (whatever name you want), copy the .exe file into it and any media the game uses. Zip up the directory and send it to your friend. You don't want to include any code... it's top secret.
Josh226
Years of Service
User Offline
k thanks alot
NewDBuser
Years of Service
User Offline
When you want to include all media into a stand alone executable and you have used the add media browser to do so, how do you refer to the media in your program?

For example in a program that refers to media on the hard drive:

load image "media\gfx\backdrop.jpg",1

What should the above be if you wanted to have everything attached to the executable instead of the hardrive and you have already used the load media browser?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-25 13:28:30
Your offset time is: 2024-09-25 13:28:30