Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / 2 Questions Online tutorial and .DAT

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
First up, I'm looking to make a 2D game go online, is there any online tutorial that hits the topic? I'm not exactly sure what to search for...

Also, is there a way to make a .DAT or something so that the media in a DBPRO isn't right out for the taking?
Grog Grueslayer
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Green Hell
Posted: 10th Dec 2006 14:15 Edited at: 10th Dec 2006 14:15
You can just type MMORPG... anything you find that has to do with communication of the data will work for a 2D game too.

You can read/write files any way you want so you can create your own file format... but it has to have a good balance between speed and security. You don't want to slow down loading too much just to keep the media secure. If somebody wants it they're going to have it... nothing is 100% secure.
TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2006 16:19
You could mean one of two things...

1. You want to include the media inside a single exe file instead of supplying it separately.

2. You are afraid your media can be 'ripped' out of the exe you created.

If it's 1 then you need to do the equivalent of DBC's 'Build Final' where you tell the DBP compiler to create a single exe with all the media inside it.

If it's 2 then take a look on the net for a program called UPX which may work with DBP executables as they are supposed to be compiled properly - unlike DBC which creates P-Code which UPX doesn't like.

UPX basically takes your exe and compresses/encodes it - making it a good deal smaller and immune to media rippers.

I must repeat though that I've not tried it with a DBP exe so I can't confirm whether it works or not.

TDK_Man

Trask
Years of Service
User Offline
Good idea on the mmorpg, I'll be sure to try that...

I'm gonna scoure DBP for something similar to the final build, if not I'll try UPX.

Thanks guys.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-25 13:23:30
Your offset time is: 2024-09-25 13:23:30