Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / 3d world studio, help please

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2006 15:10
I just downloaded the trial of 3d ws. it looks like a cool program, but textures do not show up in the side panel (mine or 3d ws ones). I have tried to add my own textures saved as psp, bmp and jpeg in photoshop, but none of them work. Any clues?

Thanks for the help.

D
Noonster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2006 19:44
Are you putting the textures into the correct folder?

I believe the default folder is "C:\Program Files\3D World Studio\Materials\", at least mine is. To check what folder 3DWS is looking in, open up 3DWS, go to Tools->Options, then look at the path in the dialog box next to "Texture Path:". Make sure that you place the texture into one of the existing folders within the "Materials" folder/directory, or create a new folder of your own to place them in. On the side panel, these subfolders are what show up under "Texture Category:", and each texture within the subfolder show up under "Texture:"

I can't recall of the top of my head all of the supported image/texture formats, but it definitely supports .bmp, .png and .tga. Keep in mind that the textures that have the .stf extension are proprietary to 3DWS/Leadwerks and will not work in DBPro; your object will just appear grey/white where the texture should be. If you buy the full version of 3DWS, you still will not be able to use those textures, so I recommend moving them to their own folder to avoid confusion later.

As a last note, the sizes of the textures have to be square (width and height being equal), along the order of 64x64, 128x128, 256x256, etc.

Almost forgot: for any new texture(s) to be listed on the side panel, you have to close out, then re-start, 3DWS after adding them.
Dracula
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2006 15:32
I tried all of the things you mentioned, but I still cannot see textures in the side panel or browser. I uninstalled and reinstalled and still no luck. Thanks for the info about the STF files, I figured that's what they were, but good to know for sure. What are the system requirements for 3d WS? I am running 2800 AMD, 512ram, with a crappy VIA/S3G Unichrome IGP internal video card with 16 megs (shaered?) memory. Could the video card be the problem? I think I'll get a new one in any case.

Thanks for the help. I really hope this works, because this looks like a program worth buying.
Noonster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2006 16:13
LOL! Dracula, I feel your pain!

I currently have a pretty good desktop rig, but much of my time working with 3DWS and DBPro is spent on my laptop -- an old Pentium II 300 MHz, w/ 192 Mb ram and 16 Mb (also shared) graphics card. It works for the small experimentational things, though.

I don't know anything, really, about that particular graphics card of yours, but I don't think it's the main problem; I definitely recall having problems with 3DWS on my laptop when I only had the demo version. I don't remember having your particular problem, but I couldn't get the textures to apply to the brushes/objects, and the brushes would not even show up in the 3D perspective window. After receiving the full version on CD and installing it, then installing the updated versions, everything worked fine...and still does.

I would advise getting a new graphics card if you can, though, as you will be kind of limited once you get into creating complicated scenes, and the render times (especially due to lightmapping) will take an awful long time. Your processor (I'm guessing it's an Athlon XP 2800?) isn't too bad, nor is the amound of ram.

I think very highly of 3DWS, especially when you compare the price to other programs. I certainly can't guarantee that getting the full version on CD will take care of the problem you are having, but, for some reason, it did take care of the ones I had.

Good luck.
Dracula
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2006 02:48
well, maybe I'll have to buy licensed copy and see if it works, since I can't seem to get any results with these textures. Thanks for the advice Noonster

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-25 13:35:29
Your offset time is: 2024-09-25 13:35:29